PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Whitehouse

Wity
04-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Thought as it's my first post i'd say hello and introduce myself first. My surname is Whitehouse, the nick is Wity pronounced as in 'city' so please dont assume it's Whitey as I'n not a white supremist [censored] or owt like that.

I imagine most herin are my American cousins, yep I'm English and a snooker player, bloody hopeless at it though, never having made a break above 45. Dreaming of getting a 50 for my 50th birthay in August.

Played pool a fair bit but never American pool although I've found a hall with a Yank table in it recently so I will give it a go.

Found my way here having googled "cue ball throw and deflection" as I've got real interested in the make up of these special shafts of late so expect some weird questions from me with limey phrases.

HarryDC
04-22-2007, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> Thought as it's my first post i'd say hello and introduce myself first. My surname is Whitehouse, the nick is Wity pronounced as in 'city' so please dont assume it's Whitey as I'n not a white supremist [censored] or owt like that.

I imagine most herin are my American cousins, yep I'm English and a snooker player, bloody hopeless at it though, never having made a break above 45. Dreaming of getting a 50 for my 50th birthay in August.

Played pool a fair bit but never American pool although I've found a hall with a Yank table in it recently so I will give it a go.

Found my way here having googled "cue ball throw and deflection" as I've got real interested in the make up of these special shafts of late so expect some weird questions from me with limey phrases.
<hr /></blockquote>

Wity,

Welcome to the world of the slide rule. I enjoy a twist of lime to go with some quick quips and Crown Royal.

I use Predator Cues and have many tails of to much science stealing the fun from my pool game.

Please, don't let to much techno babble take the fun from your pool game.

Cheers!

HarryDC

cushioncrawler
04-22-2007, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> ....."or owt like that"..... <hr /></blockquote>Wity -- Ah yes, u and me are going to get on very well (i mean, as well as a snooker player and a billiards player can ever get on). It took me about 2 postings before i had the gumption to have the yanks running for a dictionary, and another couple before i reminded em that the war of independance woz a fullblown civil war (and, that, in reality, they "lost").

owt n. This is a rather northern-English word meaning "nothing", seen in a context like "Whatcha looking at me for? I didn't do owt!". It's recognised throughout the UK but it's a little unusual to use it. (my apologyz to the site that i stole this from).

But the use (in effect) of ..."Whatcha looking at me for?"... iz a little passive-aggressive -- we allready have a little too much of that here -- just something u will havta keep your eye on a little. madMac.

Wity
04-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Blimey me fust post and already i'm censured for using an American word. Never mind "Mules bottom" it is from now on then.

Harry... No problem there mate I only play for pool for fun nowadays and thats usually when I've forgot me darts and theres women playing pool they always need a bit of coaching on positional play /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cush crawler.. lol Them women's husbands call me that. (Tryin to type me werds n thees usein me reul aksunt, bet yow cor tell wheya om from.

War of independence? Is that the scirmish a few of our lads had with thousands of tax dodging colonists while most of our mob were having a tea party in Boston?

Now now cousins dont get your knickers in a twist I'm only jokin.

Seriously though, why is it the likes of Predator developed their shafts, is hitting the center of the ball really so hard? or is it as I suspect all about conning you out of your money with a magic wand.

HarryDC
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> Blimey me fust post and already i'm censured for using an American word. Never mind "Mules bottom" it is from now on then.

Harry... No problem there mate I only play for pool for fun nowadays and thats usually when I've forgot me darts and theres women playing pool they always need a bit of coaching on positional play /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cush crawler.. lol Them women's husbands call me that. (Tryin to type me werds n thees usein me reul aksunt, bet yow cor tell wheya om from.

War of independence? Is that the scirmish a few of our lads had with thousands of tax dodging colonists while most of our mob were having a tea party in Boston?

Seriously though, why is it the likes of Predator developed their shafts, is hitting the center of the ball really so hard? or is it as I suspect all about conning you out of your money with a magic wand. <hr /></blockquote>

Good day Wity,

I think you should read this thread by BLACKHEART titled

"Crap about deflection" clank here:

CRAP ABOUT DEFLECTION (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=246159&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1)

BLACKHEART speaks for me with a certain degree of knowledge
as a cue maker.

If you could spend one hour learning from Ronnie O'Sullivan a great pro player and master what you learn it would be more than you could learn from the pool charlatans here in 1,000 years.

For me learning from a proper professional and proper practice overcomes most table play and Ray Martin's book 100 critical shots has all I've been doing and I have had great fun.

HarryDC

cushioncrawler
04-22-2007, 10:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> Blimey me fust post and already i'm censured for using an American word. Never mind "Mules bottom" it is from now on then.

Seriously though, why is it the likes of Predator developed their shafts, is hitting the center of the ball really so hard? or is it as I suspect all about conning you out of your money with a magic wand. <hr /></blockquote>Wity -- Just guessing -- YorkShire??? But, i aint never been to england, so dont know much. And, i never will go, koz for one thing they (there are about 8 guys) are installing a couple of log walls in my future billiard room today, and those 490mm thick monterey pine logs cost more than a holiday.

Re Predator, Phil (from Adelaide) told me that he made a 141 snooker break with a Predator, and won the state championship. Me, myself, i agree with u -- all of that lamination stuff, and ivory inlay stuff, and linen wrap stuff, is stupid. Give me a one-piece thinnish stiffish bentish shaft, and i am happy.

Yes -- They allready only paid 1/50th of the tax rate that their english cousins had to pay, and they went to war -- fueled by some selfish (irish??) idiots. I wonder how many loyalists were taken care of. madMac.

Wity
04-23-2007, 09:01 PM
It was Google that led me to Blackhearts post and in turn got me to sign up. I nicked the magic wand analogy off him although he actually said magic stick.

Funny how you mention Ronnie and practice in the same breath. You do know the guy hardly ever practices donít you? He has so much natural ability it's uncanny. There is only one I've ever seen who could control a ball like he does and that was the footballer George Best. On the other hand take Stephen Hendry, he practices 8 hours a day.

Thing is this low throw techno idea has not only reached our shores now it's in the hands of 7 times world champion Stephen Hendry himself who for the past few weeks has been using an Acurate cue or as I call them, Aconmate.

As the snooker world championship has now begun we'll see if he has totally made the switch or not when he plays later today. If he does he'll be the first top flight pro to use one.

I donít deny their cues are low throw but they claim they produce no throw at all having tested them on Predators robot and on Meucci's. When such tests are conducted independently I'll believe it. Strange though how Hendry has took to one. Independent views of them conclude they are pretty ordinary cues leaving a fair bit to be desired in terms of quality, and lets face it who is a better role model for a good player plays with what suits him nothing else, considering he won 5 of his world titles with a bent cue worth £40 if it had been new.

Perhaps Acuerate employed Uri Geller to replicate Steve's bend in his old cue?

What do you reckon to their claims? see: www.acurate.com (http://www.acurate.com)

Oops, I nearly forgot, I'm from Wolverhampton in the black country. The Accent is the nearest thing you'll find to pure English. Close to what was spoken in Shakespears day.

cushioncrawler
04-24-2007, 01:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr>.....Thing is this low throw techno idea has not only reached our shores now it's in the hands of 7 times world champion Stephen Hendry himself who for the past few weeks has been using an Acurate cue or as I call them, Aconmate. As the snooker world championship has now begun we'll see if he has totally made the switch or not when he plays later today. If he does he'll be the first top flight pro to use one. I donít deny their cues are low throw but they claim they produce no throw at all having tested them on Predators robot and on Meucci's. When such tests are conducted independently I'll believe it. Strange though how Hendry has took to one. Independent views of them conclude they are pretty ordinary cues leaving a fair bit to be desired in terms of quality, and lets face it who is a better role model for a good player plays with what suits him nothing else, considering he won 5 of his world titles with a bent cue worth £40 if it had been new. Perhaps Acuerate employed Uri Geller to replicate Steve's bend in his old cue?.... <hr /></blockquote>I reckon that low-throw cues wont make much of an impakt in snooker, at least not for the top guys. A 12' table is very different to a 9'. Center ball striking is the key to good play on a 12' table. On the other hand some players might find a low-throw cue best for their favorit shots, ie at their favorit range, ie shots that bother them when uzing a stiffy -- here i am talking about center-ball shots not shots with intentional sidespin. But i dont know what all of the hoohaa iz all about, we have had stiff medium and whippy cues since the early days. One shoodnt say that one's cue is a low-throw cue just koz it is thin and light, one shood only uze that term if the cue haz some sort of design trick that makes it better than a cue that iz simply whippy n lite. And acuerate dont say that they do have such a trick -- alltho there woz a mention of a double joint or something. No, i reckon that most players would play better with a stiffer cue, and allmost all players would play better with a bent cue (thats where the real future lays). madMac.

dr_dave
04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Weocome to the CCB!

FYI, lots of good information concerning throw and squirt (AKA deflection) can be found via the links here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

Deeman3
04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Wity,

Welcome to the CCB as long as your not a Manchester United Fan... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wity
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks Doc, I was almost there I bookmarked http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/ only yesterday having had a read re your high speed filming post.

Amazing stuff. Never realised just how much science there is in a 200 year old game.

dr_dave
04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wity:</font><hr> Thanks Doc, I was almost there I bookmarked http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/ only yesterday having had a read re your high speed filming post.

Amazing stuff. Never realised just how much science there is in a 200 year old game. <hr /></blockquote>Happy viewing, reading, and playing!

Regards,
Dave

Wity
04-24-2007, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Wity,

Welcome to the CCB as long as your not a Manchester United Fan... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No chance of that mate, when my son was 5 he said he liked Man U. He's 21 now and has never spoke since, it's kinda difficult when your tongue has been cut out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif