PDA

View Full Version : POOL ETTIQUETTE

bataisbest
04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Just looking for people's thoughts on something that happened to me at the poolhall this weekend. I was playing this guy who is a pretty good player some 9- ball- race to 7 for $20.00. He locked me up pretty good to where I had to 3- rail kick to the 3 - ball to avoid the foul. I made a pretty good kick at it but came up about a 1/2" short of making contact thus giving him ball in hand. He - very politely - refused to accept ball - in -hand after my attempt saying " That was a hell of a try , I did'nt think you had even the slightest chance at getting close". He really had no decent shot thereafter but he kept giving me props on the attempt I made. I felt bad for him but I let it go as he called it and he missed later in the rack after which I ran out for the win , and eventually the set, by a score of 7-5. I respect him for his compliment, but at the same time I felt he should have just taken ball- in- hand accordingly. I did'nt want to make a scene or come across the wrong way either so I just let it go. Should I have refused to accept the $20.00, or what would you guys have done in that type of situation?

Rich R.
04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
The guy was entitled to BIH. For whatever reason, he chose not to accept it. That is on him, not you.
Spend your winnings wisely. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cydpkt
04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Enjoy your win. He knew it was a great effort and it seems like the $20 wasn't a big deal to him. Not all players are like that, I have a league member who tries to give me bum racks to win matches. I would rather play and be around your opponent than my team mate.

jjinfla
04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Only played one race?

Well, next time feel sorry for him and agree to play several races for $50 each.

Easy money for you.

Maybe.

Jake

Snapshot9
04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
That's right. He was only being that gracious because it was for only $20. For a $100, he would have snatched that cue ball up for BIH. Accept his generousity, and go on. Most of the time, it won't happen, but when it does, it is nice.

SPetty
04-24-2007, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bataisbest:</font><hr>I felt he should have just taken ball-in-hand accordingly.<hr /></blockquote>A wise man who used to post here taught me that, as the person who committed the foul, you should pick up the cue ball and hand it to your opponent. I'm pretty much the only person I know that does it, but when I foul, I do not expect my opponent to go get the cue ball - I get the cue ball and hand it to him - ball in hand. I think it's a good idea. Had you done this, you would not have this dilemma.

bsmutz
04-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't play for money very often, so my circumstances are different than yours. I quite often don't take BIH when it is offered (and/or deserved). My son called me on it once and I told him we weren't playing for anything and I just liked to play the cue ball from where it ended up kind of as a challenge for me. He told me he'd rather I played my best game. I can see both sides and for sure you did the right thing. He respected your game enough to decide to play the tougher out and you respected his game enough (and his respect for you) by taking his money when he lost. I know I would have felt bad if you pressed me to take the money because of what turned out to be a semi-bad decision on my part.

wolfdancer
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
In the immortal words of Steve Miller, regarding similar circumstances, involving a scotch doubles match...his advice to the winners, Billie Joe and Bobbie Sue:
"Go on take the money and run
Go on take the money and run"
unless, of course, you're playing in Texas...
and that's what the facts is....(hope this helps)

marek
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Nice story...I have one too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Few years ago there was a tour here in Czech Republic which consisted of 6 qualifying tournaments and one big final tournament. During those qualifiers I have played 4 times the same opponent (all those matches were finals). During our first encounter I potted an object ball so hard that it jumped off the pocket back on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif My opponent stood up, took that object ball and put it back into the pocket encouraging me to continue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif In the end he was the victor. One month later we both got into the finals again. During the match it was him who played the object ball so hard it jumped off the pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Without any hesitation I stood up and returned the object ball into the pocket letting my opponent continue. We both laughed on the situation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Guess what? I won that match... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What is my point? Quite often it pays off to be nice. By being generous you can win other people hearts and most importantly it feels GOOD inside. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.s.: It may have been a brilliant hustle from his side as well but it is totally different story... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bataisbest
04-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I really felt weird after playing that night. For me, it was'nt aboout the money or anything , just that I've never had that happen to me. I don't like to be confrontational or anything like that. I kind of feed off of the person I'm playing with I guess. I respect the game and I really just like to play more for the challenge than anything else. At least now, if that should ever come up again or something similar to that, I'll have a better idea on how to handle it. I can kind of understand where he was coming from now. I don't think the amount we were playing for really influenced his decision. Probably the fact that deep down he appreciated the effort on my part to kick at the ball. In the end everybody wins I guess.