PDA

View Full Version : The how/why are they famous? thread

sack316
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Since I quit my job a few weeks ago, I've had ALOT of time to watch TV and stuff--- and that's coming from a guy who watched a lot of TV to begin with anyway. There have always been a few celebs that bothered me by the sheer fact that they somehow became famous and/or successful, and I fail to see how that came about. So I'm gonna list a few of my thoughts. Feel free to critique my picks, and also to add your own to the list if you'd like.

Nick Cannon: I mean, wow... he has never made me laugh even once. I will grant that his show "Wild 'N Out" is actually pretty funny, but that's only due to the backup cast such as Kat Williams and special guests making the show good. Besides that all I've seen is him in a bunch of movies that get crappy reviews. Even when watching another movie that previews his feature films, the previews suck... and that's supposed to be what hooks you in! Then he has a joke attempt at a music career that I only knew about because people made fun of him for it. Yet somehow, he keeps getting shows, keeps getting acting roles in movies, and actually has been nominated for a few high profile awards. Why is this guy famous?

Jamie Kennedy: Almost the white Nick Cannon (?). Watching him I can tell he's supposed to be funny, but for some reason he's just not. Maybe he tries to hard, or just comes off the wrong way, either way he's never amused me. Then he whines and cries because Ashton Kutcher ripped him off (claiming Punk'd was his original idea w/ the jamie Kennedy Experiment). News flash: prankster and parody shows have been around a long time... it just so happens other people have done it a lot better! He's done a lot of crappy movies, a few crappy TV shows, yet somehow keeps getting work and top billing. Yet I don't see how he even got any further than playing "Stoney" on "Unhappily Ever After" (the old Married With Children-esque sitcom). Why is he famous?

Any Loser From A Reality Show: This genre has too many entrants to name each one. Suffice to say that if someone loses on a reality show they begin on, why do they get rewarded with another gig? "I Love New York" is a prime example of this, but there are SOOOOO many other examples out there. I will grant immunity (ha, get it?) to a show like American Idol, where in some cases the losers actually have some talent (such as Kristen Holt-- currently hosting shows and podcasts for G4 and singer for a not bad band). But otherwise, why oh why do losers from one show get to even be as high as a "D" list celebrity? Just let them fade away in the night, and ten to twenty years from now we'll laugh at you in a "What ever happened to" reunion show, and then be forgotten all over.

And that's about all I feel like doing right now. Thoughts? Additions?

Sack

Deeman3
04-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Sack,

To show my age and Tv habits, I never heard of any of these folks! I watch, perhaps, a few hours of TV a week and aside from Lost, House and a couple of news shows, I am totally out of touch with TV "personalities." /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bsmutz
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
When TV first came on the air, they used to aim their programming at about a 4th grade level. Now, fourth graders aren't as smart as they used to be, so they've had to dumb it down some more. Now throw in the fact that there are 800 channels where there were only 5 or 6 and that we aren't going to sit around and watch Gilligan's Island reruns for more than 20 years, and voila, anyone can entertain someone!
I, too, am appalled at how easily some of the most obnoxious, rude, stupid, and vapid people become cultural icons in this day and age.

wolfdancer
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
"I, too, am appalled at how easily some of the most obnoxious, rude, stupid, and vapid people become cultural icons in this day and age."

We've had way too many posts like this lately, criticizing our President.....

sack316
04-24-2007, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Sack,

To show my age and Tv habits, I never heard of any of these folks! I watch, perhaps, a few hours of TV a week and aside from Lost, House and a couple of news shows, I am totally out of touch with TV "personalities." /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm, perhaps you stumbled on to something without realizing it there Deeman. I mean, I still enjoy some crude, immature humor-- but you got me thinking that maybe ten years ago I may have enjoyed the antics of some of these people. But these days I get plenty of enjoyment watching Discovery, History, MSNBC, A&amp;E, etc. I'm even at the point where I don't "get" most of the popular music out. I'm only 27... I'm too young to be out of touch with the youth... or so I thought /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack