PDA

View Full Version : ruling on a shot in a tournament

lewcamp
04-24-2007, 02:01 AM
A good friend of mine told me about a situation that came up the other day in a tournament he was in.

My friend was just watching the final match of the tournament after he just got put out and the 2 guys were playing and the one guy breaks the balls playing 9-ball and makes a ball on the break. He turns to go put his break cue down and get his shooting cue and in the mean time the other player steps up and sees that he is hooked from the 1 ball and has the option to push and the 2,9 are lined up very close to the corner pocket so he caroms off the 2 ball and pockets the nine ball. this guy shoots pretty quick so the guy going to get his shooting cue didnt know what had happened when he returned and so the other shooter explained to him that he shot the 9 ball in for a push shot. The guy originally breaking replies well it wasnt your shot because i made the eight ball on the break, so the other shooter says oh i'm sdorry i didnt see the eight ball go in and takes the nineball out of the pocket and respots it on the footspot and the match goes on without anything more being said.

I think that the correct way to proceed is to set the balls back up as close to where they originally were and the origanal breaker keep shooting, or else he got cheated out of a potential 2,9 combo that a monkey could have made.

I am sure that this is not a new mishap, so i was wondering if somkeone knows where the rule is that states the proper proceedure for this case in point.

jjinfla
04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
I would call it interference and loss of game.

Jake

bsmutz
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
In a tournament, it should have been game over & a loss for the player that shot the nine in. But the rules don't agree with me. They say that shooting out of turn is interference and that interference is a foul. In the case of 9-ball, the 9 would be respotted and the incoming player would have ball in hand anywhere on the table.
I'm sure that if a player did this intentionally they would receive a warning and a second violation would result in loss of match. Might be a good tactic to employ once in a great while if you are the type of player that likes to resort to underhanded moves to win. Unfortunately, there are a few out there.