PDA

View Full Version : dufferin cue appraisal

m8trix
04-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Gday all

I have recently found a dufferin cue in my dads cupboard and was wondering about its history .. tried dufferin but they no longer exist .. me dad reckons it belonged to his father in his later years but wasnt sure ... that would make it anywhere between 30 - 50 years old i spose .. very plain to look at like a pub cue .. one piece cue made from maple which in itself makes its value rise down here in australia .. has a button in the butt showing dufferin and canadian maple leaf and is weight stamped Cd 17 .. was just wondering its heritage .. fairly new to comp pool myself but its a lovely stick to use and has helped my game heaps (probably more cause i just love using the thing) anyway any info would be appreciated .. cheers

wolfdancer
04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Have you tried Googling "Dufferin Cues"?
They make the best one piece (house) cue...

cushioncrawler
04-24-2007, 08:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote m8trix:</font><hr> Gday all I have recently found a dufferin cue in my dads cupboard and was wondering about its history .. tried dufferin but they no longer exist .. me dad reckons it belonged to his father in his later years but wasnt sure ... that would make it anywhere between 30 - 50 years old i spose .. very plain to look at like a pub cue .. one piece cue made from maple which in itself makes its value rise down here in australia .. has a button in the butt showing dufferin and canadian maple leaf and is weight stamped Cd 17 .. was just wondering its heritage .. fairly new to comp pool myself but its a lovely stick to use and has helped my game heaps (probably more cause i just love using the thing) anyway any info would be appreciated .. cheers <hr /></blockquote>I bort a one piece dufferin from Alcocks in 1985 for $32 -- maple shaft, red butt (very fat) with clear button with red maple leaf, 10mm tip, black bakelite fibre ferrule, parallel taper (allmost), 18oz. Might still be uzing it, but i found that i needed a conical taper to hit half straight. Alternatively, a bend would have done the trick, but whenever i put a bend in it it allwayz straightened up within a week. Dont know what "Cd" meenz.

Old one-piece dufferins must be the most common 2nd-hand cue around -- one of my team mates a few years ago got a heap of them from some table maker for $20 bucks each. A few years ago i bort 4 new two-piece dufferins for about $120 each, ash shafts this time -- but it looks like Dufferin arent in bizness any more. madMac.

m8trix
04-24-2007, 09:46 PM
so its a cheap ass cue then hey .. shoulda taken the 300 bucks the bloke offered me 3 nights ago then .. all the same i think its great to 7 ball "A Graders" with a google made one piece house cue .. cheers for the msgs

wolfdancer
04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
I have three dufferin cues that I bought with my home table.
I see many sites still offering them for sale....from $27.50 and up

BigRigTom
04-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I purchased a 2 piece Dufferin for my wife back in 1990 in Chicago (I paid $90 US for it). At that time I knew next to nothing about cues and I got it for her because it was pretty.
She absolutely LOVED it!
A few years later the joint pin got bent (probably because she had it in a cheap soft case) and we took the cue to a few different shops to get the joint repaired....they all told us it was not worth fixing......it would cost more than the cue's original price to repair it.
I finally found a guy in Camarillo, Ca. that fixed it for $80!
I know that is high but who cares?
My wife still loves that cue and it is still pretty too. It is also still straight as an arrow.

If you like that cue you have and it has a history then be proud of it and don't let some knucklehead tell you how LITTLE it is worth because knuckleheads don't know the value of most things! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif