PDA

View Full Version : How to get the spot residue off of a table

littleCajun
04-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Hello All,
I need some help on getting the spot residue off of my home table. For a long time I did not have a spot on my table, but my Wifes friends kept complaing about it. So I broke down a put one on. However I did not place it exactly in the correct place. When I removed the spot, it did not come of cleanly. Just wanted to know what product I can use safely to remove the residue so I can reposition the spot.

Thx,

arshu123
04-27-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Friends,

I am taking notes on things that GOV should do to avoid Global warming.

http://globalwarming-awareness2007-arshad.com/

Please help me expand the topic.

Thanks!
Arshad

bsmutz
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Damn nuisances...
LC, I would try using Goof Off or a similar glue/tape residue cleaner. I have had a bottle of a citrus remover for years now and use it on a wide variety of removal projects. Put a little bit on a microfiber towel or chamois and carefully try to remove without rubbing too hard.
On another note, maybe you (or someone else) can help me. I'm not a big fan of the spot for the obvious reasons. However, I've noticed over the years that many tables have a hole or badly worn area where the head ball sits when there is no spot on the table. Now not having known the history of the table, I don't know if there had previously been a spot and that the removing of the spot (either by wear or by someone peeling it off after it became a nuisance) weakened the integrity of the cloth or if the constant hammering into the headball caused the cloth to wear prematurely at that spot. From my own experience with my table, when I put new cloth on, I didn't put the spot on right away. I put a mark with a felt tip marker. It seemed to me that that spot on the table was wearing quite a bit faster than anywhere else, so I put a spot on it to decrease wear of the cloth. Is it normal to wear a hole in the cloth at the head spot if a spot isn't used?

DeadCrab
04-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Acetone is usually a good solvent for glue, and can be found in drug stores as nail polish remover. Test a drop or two on some of the cloth under a pocket to make sure it does not discolor it.

BigRigTom
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, there will be a worn spot if you don't use a spot.
Some people will claim otherwise but it only stand to reason that when you hit the 1 ball over and over again it will slide from it origin.
That constant hammering on the cloth can not be good for the cloth.
If you use a good spot like the " Tefco Master Spots (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/temasp.html) " it will not leave enough of a residue to cause anywhere near the problem you get from a small hole in the cloth.

bsmutz
04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
It's not the residue that's annoying, it's the funny rolls that balls make when rolling slowly across the periphery of the spot. Pretty much every table I've seen (that's been played on for any length of time) has the imprint of the rack of balls in the cloth as well as the grooves by the rails and a V shape or straight line worn from the headstring to the rack. However, it did seem to me that the foot spot was wearing faster than anything else on the table with new cloth. I guess with the cue ball flying into the head ball and subsequent downward force combined with the inertia of the rack behind it must make the head ball compact and wear that little area of the cloth more quickly.