PDA

View Full Version : Friday Joke / Rap Parody: Nappy-Headed Ho's

SpiderMan
04-27-2007, 10:21 AM
This has been playing for several days on a Classic-Rock station in Memphis, TN. Naturally there have been protests, and the usual talk of requiring someone to kiss Jesse Jackson's ass as pennance /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What's It Take To Be A Nappy-Headed Ho? (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/23302/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/23302/crew/napho.mp3)

SpiderMan

Deeman3
04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Were you in Memphis when Rick Dees came to town? What would they ever do with him now?

I played tennis with him and Marge Thrasher ever Tuesday evening. He was the funniest guy I ever knew. If you remember Marge, you do go back too far...:)

dg-in-centralpa
04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
This sounds like something the great Frank Zappa would have done. I sure do miss him.

DG - gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Chopstick
04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I remember Rick Dees. He was on WHBQ. He's still around down in south Flarda. I heard him on the radio when I was going down to the keys. I don't remember Marge though.

Deeman3
04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Marge had her own talk show at WHBQ. A trivial question only a native Memphian, and not many of them, will know. What was the origin of the call lettrs WHBQ? Now that's a tough one!

Remember, WHER the first and perhaps, only "All Girl's Station?"

WDIA
WMPS
WREC

SpiderMan
04-27-2007, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Were you in Memphis when Rick Dees came to town? What would they ever do with him now?

I played tennis with him and Marge Thrasher ever Tuesday evening. He was the funniest guy I ever knew. If you remember Marge, you do go back too far...:) <hr /></blockquote>

Ah yes, Rick Dees and the "Cast of Idiots" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Dees was a popular DJ at top-40 station WMPS (AM 780). Then he recorded "Disco Duck". WMPS wouldn't let him play it, and of course no one else would play it because he worked at WMPS, so he left and hired on with their #1 rival WHBQ (AM 560). Within months "Disco Duck" was a million-seller. Sometime in the late '70s (after I moved to Texas), Rick left Memphis and went to work for one of WHBQ's sister stations in Los Angeles. As far as I know, he's still in LA. I don't think I ever met him in person.

I did meet "Super Shan" (Scott Shannon), though. Remember "I Am Yo LEEEEEEDah!"? He was a popular DJ in the early '70s (pre-Dees). He also went to California, but didn't stick, and he's in New York now.

Speaking of WMPS - my mom took me down to the WMPS radio station when I was about 10 or 12 because I was interested in radio/electronics, and introduced me to Roy Mac. This was long before Shan or Dees. Roy gave me a box full of old demo 45s of up-and-coming artists from the 50s and early 60s. Some of them would probably be pretty valuable now, had I not ruined them on a $5 player.

Another 70's DJ you probably listened to was Ron Jordan. It's an obscure bit of trivia, but I believe he briefly was lead singer with the Memphis group "Box Tops" after Alex Chilton, who recorded most of their hits, left the band.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Marge had her own talk show at WHBQ. A trivial question only a native Memphian, and not many of them, will know. What was the origin of the call lettrs WHBQ? Now that's a tough one!

Remember, WHER the first and perhaps, only "All Girl's Station?"

WDIA
WMPS
WREC

<hr /></blockquote>

Sure - I remember some of those.

Everytime the call letters were broadcast, it was "WHBQ, an RKO General Radio Station". RKO also owned the LA station that Rick Dees went to after WHBQ.

This was 'way before my time, but there was a legend that the call letters were based on Dewey Philips' old radio show "Red Hot and Blue" - which, by the way, has now been claimed by a "Memphis-Style" BBQ franchise. Anyhow, "WHB" was supposed to mean "White, Hot, and Blue", in reference to Elvis Presley and others getting very early airplay on Dewey's show. But it's probably just legend, because all radio stations east of the Mississippi were federally mandated to have call signs beginning in "W". Is this what you were looking for?

Another legend was that WDIA stood for 'Way Down In Africa.

I'm guessing that these two legends were spun some time after the call letters were randomly assigned.

I don't recall any stories regarding the origins of WMPS and WREC.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow,

Yes, I do remember each and every thing and person you mentioned...like a return wave of nostalgia...you do have a remarkable memory.

WHBQ was formed when quartets were the main rage, my guess was the 30's. WHBQ stood for Has Best Quartet. I'm not old enough to swear they really did.

SpiderMan
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Wow,

Yes, I do remember each and every thing and person you mentioned...like a return wave of nostalgia...you do have a remarkable memory.

WHBQ was formed when quartets were the main rage, my guess was the 30's. WHBQ stood for Has Best Quartet. I'm not old enough to swear they really did. <hr /></blockquote>

That would make more sense than the "White Hot and Blue" legend I always heard, since it doesn't involve the "W". But I'm definitely not old enough for that one!

SpiderMan