PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Cushioncrawler.....

wolfdancer
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Australia is the reigning World Cup Cricket Champions !!!
".....For those of you who spent your Saturday evening more gainfully entertained than in following coverage of Australia’s march to victory, let me explain how it all unravelled.
It rained for three hours before Adam Gilchrist smoked a majestic 149 in Australia’s 281-4 from 38 overs.
Sri Lanka initially also had 38 overs to try to score one more than that. All straightforward so far.
But the rain returned in the 25th over, and didn’t really go away.
The players went off for a bit, carried on for a bit, and then, chasing a new target of 269 off 36 overs, lost their way completely in quite horrible conditions."

While it sounds exciting, I have no idea what that all means
and a couple questions...
What's cricket?
Do you bet on the over/under...or the over overs?

"With 33 overs gone, the umpires decided cricket was no longer viable."....(It would not have taken me that long....maybe just one beer)
Anyway congratulations to the "land down under", who scored more overs?

Deeman3
04-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Wolfdancer,

I spent a few afternoons watching cricket with English friends in the far east and in the UK. I was taken aback by all the terms, much less understanding the full concept of the game. A Wicket?, a Silly Mid On? LBW? I do know that the most important part of the contests were the lunch or tea breaks. A friend actually gave me a cricket ball and bat but told me it would require at least 3 generations of offspring before I fully understood the game. He was right, I think.

All in all, it's a great game where the Indians now outperform the inventors of the game much like the Philipino invastion has shown us how lazy and incompetent we are at our own game, pocket billiards.

I say, let the wickets fall where they may and leave the "Ashes" to those who appreciate them.

wolfdancer
04-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I too watched a few matches (on TV) on my two trips to Australia.....and didn't understand the game. And just when the excitement build to a peak,(not) and you're on the edge of your seats....they break for tea (has anybody drug-tested the tea?...I think it's to keep them awake)
All I learned was that batting a "century" is a good thing....and Gaylord Perry would have been impressed with some of the pitches... (bowls?)
This game though could be marketed for insomnia sufferers, an alternative to drugs
Speaking of drugs...I wonder what it would be like watching Cricket, on acid?????.......probably a bad trip????

cushioncrawler
04-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I didnt watch the final -- might have watched if they were playing Poland (joking).

Pakistan's coach, Woolmer (english), woz murdered in his hotel room, by gambling interests they say. Pakistan had lost an eezy match against lowly Ireland (rigged match) -- which they thort they could afford to looze -- but then they lost another "eezy" match, and the team woz off to the airport, less one coach.

Over -- "One Over" iz made up of 6 balls -- bowled by the bowler, from one end. Then, the next over iz bowled by a different bowler, from the other end.

Never played cricket myself, except at school, and in the backyard, and in the middle of the street, and on the beach. Great game, but, i could never understand how the players could stand in the hot sun every Saturday throo summer. madMac.

"Mad Dogs and Englishmen
stand out in the midday
out in the midday
out in the midday sun"