PDA

View Full Version : Best Billiards Magazine?

New2Pool
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I feel silly posting this on the "Billiards Digest" website but here are a few questions related to billiards magazines:

What are some of the best pool magazines out there and why?

Are there any that are geared more toward beginners?

Do any offer drills and practice tips?

Are any offered online or online and print?

Thanks in advance

TerryArdeno
05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Here's my opinion....Billiards Digest is the best because I personally like the profile articles by Mike Geffner. Their tournament coverage is pretty in depth with Mason King usually giving a lot of "behind the scenes" goings on which makes you feel like you're there. George Fels back page is also a must. Panozzo is passionate about our sport, my only beef with him is he keeps saying Strickland has 5 world championships when he really has 6. Pool & Billiard is #2. Tom Shaw's "Legends" series is always outstanding reading. And Jerry Forsythe does a great job of summing up what happened in a tournament, albeit in usually a page and a half. P&B is mostly a "quick read", they don't devote much space to anything. Inside Pool usually has 1 good feature article and, like P&B, a lot of regional tournament summaries. If Tom Shaw & Jerry Forsythe wrote for Billiard Digest, BD would be the total package.I do appreciate Geffner, King, Shaw, Forsythe & Fels. Great material always.

jjinfla
05-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Did you even bother to look at the home page of this website? Or are you just fishing?

Jake

New2Pool
05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the great summary of the options.

I was sincere with the question. I did not see anything for Billiards Digest that looked like the entire thing was available online and that issue was not addressed in their FAQ's. The articles that have been online have been great.

I figure some of the more seasoned people on the board would know all the magazines and know if there are some for newbies and others for experienced players. Terry pretty much let me know what the trade offs are.

Thanks again

Bob_Jewett
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr>... What are some of the best pool magazines out there and why?

Are any offered online or online and print?... <hr /></blockquote>
As for best, this is largely a matter of personal preference. If there is a local pool mag/newspaper in your area, it will provide the best local tournament coverage. In my area, there are two such newspapers. One of them, "On the Break News," puts their entire issue on-line. It's also free in local pool halls.

For magazines that cover national pool news, there are five or six these days. I like Billiards Digest and Professor Q-Ball's Gazette, but I'm biased. In addition, there are National Billiard News, Pool and Billiard and Inside Pool, in order of age. I think that if you write to each one, you can probably get a free or cheap copy of each one. If you can get to a trade show or expo or major tournament, there are often free copies available.

All of the magazines offer practice tips and such. I sometimes have drills in my BD columns. Those are on-line at http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

Rich R.
05-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Others have mentioned all of the best magazines. I suggest you subscribe to each for a year and decide which you like the best. As many on this forum, I have been getting more than one for a number of years. They each have their own personality.

jjinfla
05-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Inside Pool used to put their magazine on-line but since I haven't been there for some time I don't know if they still do that.

Of course the top three are Billiards Digest, Inside Pool and Pool and Billiards. All have pros who give tips.

The major problem with magazines is the lead time they need to get to print and delivery of their magazines. So what you read about is usually 2 to 3 months old.

As a result I have let all my subscriptions lapse.

Jake

dr_dave
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
I subscribe to all of the big three:

1) Billiards Digest
2) Inside Pool
3) Pool &amp; Billiards

I read every issue from cover to cover. I would think that anybody really interested in pool would do the same. My list above is in my preference order. I think BD is the best (for industry and tournament coverage, and instructional articles with drills); so if you only want to subscribe to one, I would suggest BD (although, I am biased because I write for them).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> I feel silly posting this on the "Billiards Digest" website but here are a few questions related to billiards magazines:

What are some of the best pool magazines out there and why?

Are there any that are geared more toward beginners?

Are any offered online or online and print?

Thanks in advance <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Inside Pool took off after this sell-out issue!!
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/5638/dscf0186vx3.jpg

dr_dave
05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Inside Pool took off after this sell-out issue!!<hr /></blockquote>Is that you on the cover? Did you doctor this up yourself? The quality of the backdrop is a clear indicator of non-professional photography.

Dave

wolfdancer
05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
The quality of the backdrop is a clear indicator of non-professional photography.
Say, what????
that fake cover cost me around $10 at the BCA tournament that year. It was a nice $$ making venture for the photogs. Lots of players in line to get their pix taken....
This is the first time I've had it out since.....

dr_dave
05-04-2007, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The quality of the backdrop is a clear indicator of non-professional photography.
Say, what????
that fake cover cost me around $10 at the BCA tournament that year. It was a nice $$ making venture for the photogs. Lots of players in line to get their pix taken....
This is the first time I've had it out since..... <hr /></blockquote>For $10, I think it looks quite good. It would look better if you had Jeanette Lee in your arms.

Dave

Deeman3
05-04-2007, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The quality of the backdrop is a clear indicator of non-professional photography.
Say, what????
This is the first time I've had it out since..... <hr /></blockquote>For $10, I think it looks quite good. It would look better if you had Jeanette Lee in your arms.

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave,

I actually have that photo of me and Jennette taken by Jerry Bresieth at Derby City this year. However, we didn't have the attractive Magizine logo behind us! Maybe I should photoshop that into the background. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dr_dave
05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The quality of the backdrop is a clear indicator of non-professional photography.
Say, what????

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave,

I actually have that photo of me and Jennette taken by Jerry Bresieth at Derby City this year. However, we didn't have the attractive Magizine logo behind us! Maybe I should photoshop that into the background. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif<hr /></blockquote>Well, I was already jealous of you for your master shaft-switching abilities ... now I'm really jealous! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
05-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Well, I was already jealous of you for your master shaft-switching abilities ... now I'm really jealous!

I used to see Jeanette at the Pool Hall where she worked, before she became the "Black Widow"
I thought she wasn't all that friendly...but looking back
she was dedicated to the sport, and becoming a professional player....she needed total concentration when she practised,and had to shoo off all the "teachers" that wanted to help, or just hit on her. Add in her back problems...and what she has done both in the game itself, and marketing herself.....would be a feature story on TV, if pool was considered a major sport.

Deeman3
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Well, I was already jealous of you for your master shaft-switching abilities ... now I'm really jealous!
<font color="blue"> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't waste your jealosy, she's totally devoted to George. They do make a nice team and George is very underrated as a player by some.</font color>

I used to see Jeanette at the Pool Hall where she worked, before she became the "Black Widow" <font color="blue"> I used to not admire her, for some odd reason, but the more I see and talk to her, the more respect I feel for her and the challeges she has faced. She has recovered from more to just play pool than most of us would ever face. Although she had some personal sadness at the Derby City this year, she turned it up for every person who asked her for time, the sign of a real professional. She also sweated all of George's matches all night in the bar. All this without whining and you have to admire that. </font color>
I thought she wasn't all that friendly...but looking back
she was dedicated to the sport, and becoming a professional player....she needed total concentration when she practised,and had to shoo off all the "teachers" that wanted to help, or just hit on her. Add in her back problems...and what she has done both in the game itself, and marketing herself.....would be a feature story on TV, if pool was considered a major sport. <font color="blue"> I'm with you and believe they will eventually recognise her as a pioneer in media savyness. Many out there could learn from her. Too bad the men can't come up with people like her and a good overall image to boot.

I also thin, as well as she plays, we have not seen her best yet.</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

slow_roller
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Back to the magazine topic, thought I'd mention that you can often pick up an assorted bundle of fairly recent used pool mags on Ebay for a few bucks. Of course, the news isn't news anymore, but the instructional material is useful as ever.

New2Pool
05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slow_roller:</font><hr> Back to the magazine topic, thought I'd mention that you can often pick up an assorted bundle of fairly recent used pool mags on Ebay for a few bucks. Of course, the news isn't news anymore, but the instructional material is useful as ever. <hr /></blockquote>

That is the good thing about being new to all this. Everything is news to me.

dr_dave
05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slow_roller:</font><hr> Back to the magazine topic, thought I'd mention that you can often pick up an assorted bundle of fairly recent used pool mags on Ebay for a few bucks. Of course, the news isn't news anymore, but the instructional material is useful as ever. <hr /></blockquote>You can also find lots of good instructional articles online. I have links to lots of articles from me and others here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html).

Happy reading and drilling,
Dave