PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions from a Newbie

hope11
05-02-2007, 04:24 PM
1} My room is 12'4"x17'6", can I realistically put in an 8' table?
2} Can I move a slate table over a considerable distance safely in a U-Haul trailer?
3} I have a table on back order from www.greatpooltables.com. (http://www.greatpooltables.com.) They have a very high positive feedback rating on eBay? Does anyone have any thoughts on them?
THANK YOU!
Mike

BigRigTom
05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
1)That room sounds small to me. You may find a 7' table will fit better.
Here is a link to the Brunswick Room Size Requirements (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/helpful_information/room_size_requirements.html)

2) Moving the table in a uhaul should not be a problem if you secure it properly and drive at a speed that is respectful of the conditions of the road you're on.
You will almost definitely want to disassemble the table for transport then re-assemble at the new location.

3.) I am not familiar with that web site or their products. Maybe someone else can give you a heads up on them. You will find a lot of us prefer Brunswick, Olhausen and Gandy and of course there are a few others that certain people like. You should only be concerned with what you will like...it's your money, your home, your room, your friends playing on it and most of all it will be YOUR table! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bob_Jewett
05-02-2007, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hope11:</font><hr> 1} My room is 12'4"x17'6", can I realistically put in an 8' table?
... <hr /></blockquote>
(A note about manufacturers' room size charts: one of their goals is to sell you the largest, most expensive table that can be made to fit in the available room. That goal is different from you having a good time.)

Here is what a pool and billiards Frequently Asked Questions list has to say. Mostly it depends on you. Personally, I would never, ever try to put any table in a room that was only 12'4" wide. I would be smashing out the drywall the first day. You may have more tolerance for frustration than I do.

-----------------------------------------
11. ** How much room do I need for a table?

The minimum space for a table is the playing area plus the length of a
cue (58") plus about 6 inches for the back swing, more for comfort, on
each side. This gives the table:

table -- playing area -- room size
8' ---- 44" x 88" ---- 14'4" x 18'
8+' ---- 46" x 92" ---- 14'6" x 18'4"
9' ---- 50" x 100" ---- 14'10" x19'

"Seven foot" tables vary in size. Work down from the 8' dimensions.
"8+" is an "oversized" 8-foot table.

If your room does not meet these minimum size requirements, many
billiard retailers will suggest that you can still put a table in, and
use short cues (52", or 48"). Many people have found they are unhappy
having to resort to shorter cues, and should have either gotten a
smaller table, or no table at all. Others, of course, take the
opposite view -- they are delighted to have any table.

In the end, only you will know whether you are happy with the room
dimensions and need for short cues. Before you spend $2000 for a table
that will cause you to smash the walls in frustration, try this:
(1) Find an indulgent pool hall when it's not busy. (2) Measure your
space (at home) carefully, including the distance from the table to all
walls that require a special cue (3) Go to the pool hall with a piece
or pieces of plywood or some such, and a short cue, and set up the
"walls" to replicate where the walls would be in your house. Play for
several hours, using the short cue when needed.

ras314
05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
1} no
2} yes, if it is disasembled and the slate is protected from vibration.
3} Don't know anybody who has bought tables from them, but their shipping and set up sounds cheap.

Ever play bumper pool? Used to be fairly popular in bars with not enough room for full size tables. Fun game and takes a lot of skill with finess to play well. I don't remember the size but were something like 4 ft square and use little short cues. Even used to be some low life hustler types that specialized in the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
05-03-2007, 07:17 AM
ras314 all it took was a putting a coaster under one leg and the local was totally lost.####

ras314
05-03-2007, 09:29 AM
####,

You said that, I didn't. LOL

I haven't played bumper pool in years, never forgot how simple and easy it looked until I tried it the first time. Oddly in my area it was mostly in places that had a pouring license and is no game to gamble on with a buzz. Requires too much fine muscle control or something.

Roy