PDA

View Full Version : Reyes Cue Tip? Or Advice.

mabbate3850
05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Does anybody know what kind of tip Efren Reyes uses? If you don't know what is your favorite tip. Also does Efren use a european taper or a professional taper?

Thanks.

Jal
05-03-2007, 04:29 PM
From what I've read, he uses Elkmaster tips which have probably been pressed to "harden" them. Apparently he's tried others but goes back to these. I don't know if this info is dated.

Jim

Puck
05-04-2007, 04:52 AM
So he presses a soft tip to harden it? Why not just use a harder tip in the first place? I'm curious since I've heard of pressing tips before but I'm not sure of the advantages it provides.

Jal
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
The explanation I've seen is that they don't mushroom as much, just as with a harder tip, but grip the ball better due to the softer surface. While the first part of this is certainly true, I can't vouch for the second part. Apparently many of the Filipino players, including Efren, prefer this.

To the original poster, his shaft had a pro taper on the tape I viewed of him last night (early nineties match).

Jim

mabbate3850
05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not familiar with pressing tips. How does he do it or do people pay to have it done.

Jal
05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mabbate3850:</font><hr> I'm not familiar with pressing tips. How does he do it or do people pay to have it done. <hr /></blockquote>You can do it yourself, but I'll defer to a couple of threads where this is discussed by people who actually do it. The first is from this forum here (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=140920&amp;Forum=cc b&amp;Words=pressing%20tips&amp;Match=And&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Lim it=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=140216&amp;Search=true#Post140 920), and the second from a different forum here (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=41403&amp;highlight=elkmaster+pressin g).

The second one has a much longer discussion and one of the posters, "manwon", says that he actually prepares them for the Filipinos (see pages 2 and 3).

Jim

sygfrid
05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mabbate3850:</font><hr> I'm not familiar with pressing tips. How does he do it or do people pay to have it done. <hr /></blockquote>

Normally it's DIY. It's actually pretty easy, if you have a clamp or a presser, just let the tip stay pressed overnight or for several days. You can also use a hammer to pound the tip. Compressing the tip can be done not only for soft tips but for any other kinds tip except the laminated ones as the adhesive might come off.

The logic behind compressing the tip is that you are shortening the time the tip would normally compress as you play with it over time. Therefore, you don't have to wait for the tip to be reduced into a thin layer of leather to get the good "feel or playability". Pressing the tip also lessens the possibility of mushrooming.

Compressing the tip also makes it more durable. We've tried using the regular, uncompressed elk master tips &amp; the compressed ones on our house cues and we found out that the compressed elk masters have longer life span.

Sid_Vicious
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
"The logic behind compressing the tip is that you are shortening the time the tip would normally compress as you play with it over time"

Makes sense, yet I wonder why players just don't simply find a harder tip to begin with, instead of post processing them by pressing. To me, people still do the pressing just out of resistance to change. Put a Moori Quick on and leave the Elkmasters for "soft tip" players...sid

sygfrid
05-06-2007, 10:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "The logic behind compressing the tip is that you are shortening the time the tip would normally compress as you play with it over time"

Makes sense, yet I wonder why players just don't simply find a harder tip to begin with, instead of post processing them by pressing. To me, people still do the pressing just out of resistance to change. Put a Moori Quick on and leave the Elkmasters for "soft tip" players...sid <hr /></blockquote>

If I'm not mistaken, it's not the hardness that some players are after, rather the other characteristics of of a certain tip such as being able to hold the chalk well. A compressed soft tip is not really meant to mimic the hardness of a med or hard ones, rather some people are after for the ability of the tip to hold the chalk &amp; grip the ball well.

Most Filipino pool players (financially-depressed aspirants and pool-sharks who have no sponsors nor have reached the status like of efren's) can't really afford to change expensive tips regularly so they usually turn to elk masters &amp; compress them to give them a longer life

Rod
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "The logic behind compressing the tip is that you are shortening the time the tip would normally compress as you play with it over time"

Makes sense, yet I wonder why players just don't simply find a harder tip to begin with, instead of post processing them by pressing. To me, people still do the pressing just out of resistance to change. Put a Moori Quick on and leave the Elkmasters for "soft tip" players...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

I use to do this years ago with an elk but a different method. For years I played with a WB tip. No, not the current very hard ones. They changed their mixture, they used to be appx med to med hard, they played great until the change.

I couldn't find a med firm tip that held chalk well and I liked the feel. Tips mushroomed, compressed to hard, and didn't hold chalk very well.

Now I soak some elks in water and compress them to .0180" tall. I have marks on my vice handle position that gets me very close. These are what I feel after a trim is a medium tip. It a weenie bit soft but I'll compress them a tad more on the next batch. At any rate they hold chalk very well, hits very close to my liking and they DO NOT MUSHROOM. I do not add super glue to the sides, just leave it at a plain burnish. I'll never spend those inflated prices for tips ever again.

Well I'm thrifty I suppose but paying even 5 bucks for a tip is way out of line. LOL Not to mention, to me there is not a better tip out there. For less than a buck and an initial setup I'm go to go.

Rod

Chopstick
05-08-2007, 06:55 AM
He used to play with pressed Elkmasters. He is playing with Snipers now.

DickLeonard
05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Rod when I was running poolrooms I used Brunswick Blue Diamonds. They had a short lifetime of playing great by that I mean 30/60 days.

Then I would take tips off of the house cues and replace them[ala Willie Hoppe]. I had a constant supply of great playing tips. I put the tips on the housecues with the same care if I was putting them on my own cue.

I also glued the sides to keep the sides from mushrooming whether this worked or not I never really knew but it satisfied my mind.####

Deeman3
05-09-2007, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "The logic behind compressing the tip is that you are shortening the time the tip would normally compress as you play with it over time"

Sid,

I use to do this years ago with an elk but a different method. For years I played with a WB tip. No, not the current very hard ones. They changed their mixture, they used to be appx med to med hard, they played great until the change.

I couldn't find a med firm tip that held chalk well and I liked the feel. Tips mushroomed, compressed to hard, and didn't hold chalk very well.

Now I soak some elks in water and compress them to .0180" tall. I have marks on my vice handle position that gets me very close. These are what I feel after a trim is a medium tip. It a weenie bit soft but I'll compress them a tad more on the next batch. At any rate they hold chalk very well, hits very close to my liking and they DO NOT MUSHROOM. I do not add super glue to the sides, just leave it at a plain burnish. I'll never spend those inflated prices for tips ever again.

Well I'm thrifty I suppose but paying even 5 bucks for a tip is way out of line. LOL Not to mention, to me there is not a better tip out there. For less than a buck and an initial setup I'm go to go.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Rod,

I'm with you on the WB tips. I have about 7 left from two boxes I bought in 1968 and have not found anything as consistent as these babies. In the other thread, I tried a sniper and may even go to that if these last 7 WB's don't last the rest of my career! I wish I have bought 200 instead of 100 way back then. However, I never would have thought they would have lasted this long. I gave about a dozen away over the years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

eat_sleep_pool
08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
i know this has noting to do with his tip, but i heared billy incardona sp say that reyes useing like a 15 dollor cue, he may have been joking but it didnt sound like it to me, he said he tried others but just goes back to that

cue_z
08-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I only use the Moori Med tip on my Mcdermotts. They never mushroom....I also protect them with a Cue-Z cue tip cover.

scaramouche
08-27-2007, 05:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eat_sleep_pool:</font><hr> i know this has noting to do with his tip, but i heared billy incardona sp say that reyes useing like a 15 dollor cue, he may have been joking but it didnt sound like it to me, he said he tried others but just goes back to that <hr /></blockquote>

Playing with a $15 cue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9VAjvxZ98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBkuyXgjHiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YlEXk3aEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgK5WEZDPsU

cue_z
08-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Well personally speaking once your use to a stick it's hard to change. I started with a cheap titanium stick from Sears $30. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I now shoot with a $500 McDermott. Took me quite a while to adjust...But now my game is better than ever! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1Time
09-15-2007, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> He used to play with pressed Elkmasters. He is playing with Snipers now. <hr /></blockquote>

This is what I last read online and believe it to be true. Apparently the reason for the change is Reyes found the Sniper tip to play better for him than the Elkmaster.