PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Dr. Dave

Jager85
05-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Dave on your throw articles. You posted a link in reply to one of my posts a month or so ago. I spent the last few weeks reading them and studying the graphs and it has helped emensly.

The first time I shot after starting my studies i got worse because I focused to much on CIT. I then stopped compensating for CIT and focused on which shots I miss consistently.

I consistently would miss long shots that were hit hard or with excessive draw aka power draw. I also noticed I was always missing these shots on the inside of the pocket due to the reduced throw with more speed/draw.

There were also a couple of shots I always miss and never know why, but when I stopped and lined up the shot with proper compensations, miraculously they were pocketed.

The other tip that was an amazing help is that a soft stun shot with ~50% english produces maximum throw. I always thought that the more english the more throw, as most would probably assume. Since then I have had 6 shots that must have been thrown in to be pocketed and have not missed one yet. I still try to avoid this when possible though because playing position and pocketing that shot is a challenging task.

Once again just wanted to say thank you and I am looking forward to your final article, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Throw."

Curtis

dr_dave
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jager85:</font><hr> I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Dave on your throw articles. You posted a link in reply to one of my posts a month or so ago. I spent the last few weeks reading them and studying the graphs and it has helped emensly.

The first time I shot after starting my studies i got worse because I focused to much on CIT. I then stopped compensating for CIT and focused on which shots I miss consistently.

I consistently would miss long shots that were hit hard or with excessive draw aka power draw. I also noticed I was always missing these shots on the inside of the pocket due to the reduced throw with more speed/draw.

There were also a couple of shots I always miss and never know why, but when I stopped and lined up the shot with proper compensations, miraculously they were pocketed.

The other tip that was an amazing help is that a soft stun shot with ~50% english produces maximum throw. I always thought that the more english the more throw, as most would probably assume. Since then I have had 6 shots that must have been thrown in to be pocketed and have not missed one yet. I still try to avoid this when possible though because playing position and pocketing that shot is a challenging task.

Once again just wanted to say thank you and I am looking forward to your final article, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Throw."

Curtis <hr /></blockquote>Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad at least one person out there has benefited from my throw series. (Actually, I've gotten lots of postive e-mail feedback, questions, and comments over the last year.) I'm actually putting the final touches on the final article in the series today and tomorrow. It will appear in the July '07 issue. I used to post the articles for comment and suggestions as soon as the drafts were available; but BD asked me to wait they until the articles appear in print before I make the drafts available (thanks to my special lady friend out there). I look forward to moving on to new and exciting topics.

Catch you later,
Dave