PDA

View Full Version : The bad side to the ob1 shaft.

trob
05-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I bought my ob1 shaft about 2 months ago at the expo. I love the way it hits but I hate the tip. I've tried to get used to it but I just don't like it. I took it into the local barstools and billiards today to have a moore tip put on and they refused to work on it. They Won't sell just the feruls..so if he damages it while puting on a new tip He would have to replace the shaft and it's just not worth it. I can't really blame him...but I'm not playing with this crappy tip on anymore.
Also I didn't get to play with this until i got home from the expo. When I got home I found a nick in the shaft.I didn't think much of it until the dirt started getting under the coating and now I have a 2 inch long black mark on my shaft that wont come off. In all fairness I haven't reported this to them and by other accounts I've heard I'm sure they would take care of it. I just don't want to lose the shaft for a month while they do it.
So a freind just bought the new predator shaft and I'm going to buy his old 314 to see if I like it. off to ebay with the ob1. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rbc
05-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Trob,

I am sorry to hear about the issues with getting your tip replaced. I can assure that this can be cleared up very easily. Sometimes cue repair persons are a little afraid of our cue shafts, but there really is no reason to be. If you can put a tip on any cue shaft, you can put one on an OB-1. Please PM me and I can contact the repair person you are working with and explain things to him. I am sure that you won't have any problems after that.

As far as the nick or mark goes, give me a call. I would love to talk with you a little about it so that we can figure out the best coarse of action. Our toll free number is 877-399-9901. We are there from about 7:30am to at least 5:30pm Monday through Friday. If you can't call in those times, just call anyway and leave me a message as to when I can call you.

I promise you, we can work out whatever problems you might have. I want everyone who has purchased an OB-1 to be happy with it. Period!

Thanks, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Royce Bunnell
OB Cues
www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com)
877-399-9901
rbunnell@obcues.com

randyg
05-04-2007, 04:33 PM
WOW. How's that for standing behind your product....randyg

trob
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
All I can say is wow..customer service like this isn't supposed to exist anymore. I pm'd you.

Thanks

Sig
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been thinking about buying one, such customer service is certainly appreciated.

Rich R.
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr>
All I can say is wow..customer service like this isn't supposed to exist anymore. I pm'd you.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
The man asked you to call him, toll free at that.
He may not check his PM's, so I recommend you do as he asked and call.

As you said, "customer service like this isn't supposed to exist anymore." I commend Royce on his service.

trob
05-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I just got a pm from him asking what kind of shaft I need and that they will put a moore tip on it and ship it out to me with a call tag for my old one! I was kinda sorry I posted any of this on the forum without contacting them first but now I'm glad I did. Every player on here can now see that this is a company that stands behind it's product 100 percent. I got that feeling from the gentleman who sold it to me in philly and my feelings were 100% correct. To be honest I think this shaft hits better then the predator an I'm glad I won't have to change.
Thanks

wolfdancer
05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
If I could only get that same guarantee from one of them there pool schools...." your money back, if not winning tournaments....."
hope you have a successful trip to Las Vegas.

Rich R.
05-05-2007, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> To be honest I think this shaft hits better then the predator an I'm glad I won't have to change.
<hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, a broom handle hits better than a Predator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Although I don't use one, I have tried the OB1 and I believe you have a product that is superior to a Predator by a very large margin.

Bobbyrx
05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I love the way mine plays but I've also had about 3 nicks that have appeared. I had not used it for more than a week so I know I didn't hit it on anything. I checked my case to make sure something in it didn't cause it while sliding the shaft in and it was fine. And the nicks run parallel to the shaft not across the shaft like a ding would be. My local cue guy said he had seen one other one similar that had about 8 or 9 running the same way, parallel to the shaft. But I do love the way it plays.

trob
05-06-2007, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> To be honest I think this shaft hits better then the predator an I'm glad I won't have to change.
<hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, a broom handle hits better than a Predator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Although I don't use one, I have tried the OB1 and I believe you have a product that is superior to a Predator by a very large margin. <hr /></blockquote>
To be honest I had just got done playing a match in the tournament and I was on my way to buy a predator shaft when my buddy said lets cruise by the ob1 display and hit some balls. I hit a dozen balls an immediatly bought it. lol he's been a long time predator player and his words "I gotta say it definitly its better then the predator!"

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Is it "feel-abe" to the touch? I have one that has a visable line where the splices were made, but it is nearly non apparent to the feel.. All the rest of my OB1s are cosmetically perfect, and after all this time of owning and playing with them, non have gotten a dent, and there has been accidents that would have nicked my other shaft wood. sid

trob
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Is it "feel-abe" to the touch? I have one that has a visable line where the splices were made, but it is nearly non apparent to the feel.. All the rest of my OB1s are cosmetically perfect, and after all this time of owning and playing with them, non have gotten a dent, and there has been accidents that would have nicked my other shaft wood. sid <hr /></blockquote>
nope..when I bought it I put it directly in my case. The first time I stroked it I could feel the knick in the shaft. It was definitly a manufacture defect.

SpiderMan
05-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Spetty (a frequent poster here) has a similar phenomenon appearing on her OB-1 shaft. It has three or four spots with little "craters" where a splinter has apparently lifted out from the surface and then broken away. I noticed this a few weeks ago when I shaped her tip before our Scotch doubles tourney, so I had a look at it under the microscope.

Under magnification, it appears that some of the laminations don't have the grain laying "flat", which could encourage splinter-lifting over time. I've heard of it happening on a few of these OB-1s, so it could be due to variations in grain orientation, or wood quality, by the manufacturer of the laminated blanks. Possibly the original application of these laminates is not as demanding of surface smoothness as a cue shaft.

Anyway, I'm sure Royce will take good care of you. He's been on the local scene quite a while, and I've never heard anything to the contrary.

SpiderMan

trob
05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Just an update...I called today and they told me they shiped the new shaft today. first class company...

SpiderMan
05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Bobby,

I meant to respond to your post, but accidentally appended it to Trob's instead. This was meant for you: OB-1 Nicks (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=250646&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

SpiderMan

Bobbyrx
05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you very much Spidey for the info. I'll try to get in touch with them. They are not like big dings in the shaft but you can feel them enough to be distracting and you shouldn't have to deal with that with what the shaft costs. Thanks again

A_LOTA_NOTA
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I have the some type of nick in my OB1 shaft.... When I first noticed it I sure didn't remember whacking it on anything. I guess now I know how it got there!

trob
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I got the shaft today and it's perfect...not a mark or a scratch. The moori tip is exactly what it needed.

Thanks Royce for standing behind your product.