PDA

View Full Version : Pool Halls Springfield IL area, and misc ramblings

theaquaticape
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Does anyone have any experiences w/ the pool halls in the Springfield, IL vacinity? I am an archaeologist and am currently working on a project in the Jacksonville area, which has yielded nothing but bar tables(but many artifacts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif... which is driving me mad(the former that is.) I had just recieved a bonus from my last job, which was spent on a predator sneaky pete. Just a toy to play with, I also have a Jacoby cue that I really like but it stays at home for safe keeping while I'm on the road... I had to try the predator shaft, FWIW, I like the shot of the predator cue better than a Jacoby shaft almost immediately. I really like the taper, it plays really well with slow to medium speed shots... On harder shots, I really didn't like the feel of the hit as much of the Jacoby. I think this is just mental thing I will get over with time. Sometimes the hit would just feel bad, but the object ball would be pocketed just fine. And the jacoby is much prettier... but with the predator I was looking for a not so simple sneaky pete, and figured I'd give the predator a try. I like the idea of the predator shafts being easily replaceable whie maintaining a consistent feel from shaft to shaft.

I've had people mention Mowies Cue and Starship billiards... does anyone have any experience with these joints, being on the road I don't have much of anyone to shoot with... just want to get into a pool hall to keep up on practice. So I don't want to drive a half hour for some time just working on my stroke to see the owners of the establishment frustrated with me bogarting a table by myself. Are there usually open tables, and if so what times are the slow times so I'm not infringing on a group of people jonesing for a table... Any suggestions?

Also are there any custom cue makers in this area, or several hour vacinity that people would recommend? The predator came with a 2x2 case, so I feel obligated to fill the other side(already have a nice case for the jacoby.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Has anyone had any experience with the cue and cushion in the St. Louis area, it seems like an interesting venue... a bit of a drive, but adventures are good...

DeadCrab
05-05-2007, 05:14 PM
If you want a 9-foot gold crown all to yourself for $6 an hour, try the Illinois State University Bowling and Billiards Center, in Normal, just up I-55.

The music they play there sucks, but you can always get a table, some of which are better than others (hint: the middle row tables get less play). It is a booze-free, smoke free environment. They will probably be shifting to summer hours soon, and occasionally close for private parties, so call ahead.

The other venue in town is Shooters - Ride the Nine. I confess I have never been there.

Chopstick
05-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I was there for four years about twenty years ago so I don't know if my information will do you any good. The only real pool hall in Springfield at that time was downtown. It was a nice old style room. About 15 tables. Everything else was bar tables.

St Louis is always fun. Over on the east side there was this nice billiards store next door to a pool hall. They had a good selection. I bought a Tim Scruggs cue there. A couple of weeks later the butt warped and I called them back about it. They told me to call Tim Scruggs, so I did. He told me that he does not warranty his cues for anything or any reason. So screw him. I've been saying that for twenty years now.

cushioncrawler
05-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Not much going on in Springfield. There is a barbox table in the staff lunch room at the nuclear power plant. But i would try Shelbyville. madMac.

dave
05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
I have found this to be a pretty good resource for finding local and regional pool halls:
http://www.playpool.com/

I have played at Starship in Springfield. It's okay. Nothing to write home about. Decent food. Lot of recreational players. Taverns in Springfield are probably your best bet. Public places are smoke free there now, if that's a concern. About an hour north is Ride the Nine in Bloomington. Excellent and a lot of good players and weekly tourneys. About an hour and a half south, in Collinsville, is Mark Wilson's Billiard Bullpen. Small but great equipment and one of the best instructors in the country. Two hours south in St.Louis, I have played at Chesterfield Billiards, Cue and Cushion, and Big Al's Afton Billiards. From a player's perspective, I liked Chesterfield Billiards the best. Cue and Cusion is a big old place for some of the more serious players. Big Al's Afton Billiards is old and small, more of a neighborhood hall that's been around since the 60s. Good place to practice quietly but not much action. Stay away from the Pink Galleon chain. Horrible. There's more. Let me think a bit.