PDA

View Full Version : "Sweet" by Heather Byer

dimari
05-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Has anyone read this book yet? It took me a while to get into it- finally did after the 3rd or 4th chapter or so and am half way through.
Just curious, she writes about a pool match between a world champ named "George BustamEnte" and Earl Strickland on page 70. Doesn't she mean "Francisco BustamAnte"? There was a pro boxer named George Bustamante- wonder if she got it mixed up?

Deeman3
05-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Is this a novel or a supposed actual account of a match? I would think, either way, she goofed up by using the wrong names or was just using names she had heard if this is a work of fiction. If fiction, she should have probably not used Earl's names unless she asked him.

Bassn7
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
The book is non fiction. Although there are minor reference errors, the path of personal growth she takes through the world of the pool league is very accurate. I enjoyed how real the league nights were described. The pro pool match names should have been verified but have nothing to do with the main topic of the book.

dimari
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I agree, it has nothing to do with the main topic but it is non-fiction & if you are putting a book out there with the real names of professionals in the field, you should do them justice by getting their names right. I'm just apalled that neither she or her editor/publisher never caught it. She actually does use fictitious names for her personal encounters- i.e., the ice queen she describes meeting during one of her practice sessions at Chelsea Billiards sounds a lot like Jennifer Barretta to me- very funny.
And I do like the descriptive details of her obsessive journey after she becomes hooked- I can totally relate. I was on a one-man mission to spread the word of my new found passion & read everything I could on it. It's nice to know that there are other pool enthusiasts out there, who share the same passion no matter how sharp our skills.
Regardless, I will look beyond the misprints & look forward to finishing the last half of her odyssey...