PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Tips

Deeman3
05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Anyone try the Tiger "Sniper" tips yet? I was stuck in Florida over the weekend and had to get a tip replaced and the only one he had was a sniper. I have not had the chance to use it yet and it is on a backup shaft so i can rip it off and replace it now that I'm home if it's not a good tip. I'd appreciate any feedback. I normally use 20 year old water buffalo but just didn't have one on me this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bsmutz
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I like the one I'm using. It has opened up a whole new world of opportunity for me. It did take a week or two to get used to, though. I'm sure you'll have it down quicker than I did.

Rod
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Dee, I've read they are on the soft side. Personally I've never used one. However according to some vivid imaginations on AZB they put tons of english on the ball.LOL Personally I've never used over a 1000 pounds or so, so I haven't a clue what tons feel like! ha ha ha Probably like driving my Buick into the c/b? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

Rich R.
05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Although many on the forums seem to love the Snipers, I tried one last year and I was not impressed. It played well enough, but it didn't seem to wear very well. I went back to a Moori.

BLACKHEART
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I put one on & thought it was the best tip I had ever played with. I really bragged it up, to all of my customers. THEN, after a couple of months, it turned hard. I cut it off & put on another...same thing...JER

Rich R.
05-08-2007, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> THEN, after a couple of months, it turned hard. <hr /></blockquote>
Jer, this is one of the things I found also. I'm assuming it compressed, but that is only my guess. Regardless of the reason, it became very hard and that is not to my liking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chopstick
05-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I played with em for a while. They are like a hard elkmaster. They hold chalk great. You have to be careful shaping them. The fibers come apart easy. I heard that Efren &amp; Co. was using them now days. I messed up a couple of them and went back to using moori. It is a quality tip though if you take care of it correctly. Some of the cue makers over on AZ mentioned a procedure for them that you get from Tiger.

Deeman3
05-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Everyone:

Thanks for the feedback. It is too soft for me. It does seem to hold chalk well but just has a mushy feel to it. It shot fine but I'm gonna replace it as i don't seem to get anything more than normal and why change if you don't need to?

I was told that they are popular in Florida because they grip better in the high humidity. I had no problems with it but after one night, it seems to be a little sort, particularily at the very edge.

The mechanic left a little more crown on it than I like and I'm sure, if I try to shape it, I'll have a similar experience to Chopstick.

Thanks for the feedback.

Derek
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I like mine, and I'm tip-picky. Then again, maybe I wouldn't know a good tip if it bit me in the ass.

I had a bad rash of Le Pros lately and some of the higher end tips I tried went to crap fairly quick. I get anal about the shape and the Sniper has held it fairly good so far. I haven't tried jumping with it too much yet, but it does masse fine for me.

Haven't played with a Moori yet, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Deeman3
05-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Derek,

I reshaped it a bit and it seemed to hold together o.k. for now. I then hit a bunch of balls and it may just have a bit too much bite for me. I can easily adjust but am wondering if the draw characterstics will change/degrade pretty quickly over time. I'll keep it on for now on the back up shaft just in case I need to draw an unreasonable distance /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Thanks for all your input. I don't change tips as often as most people have lifespans, so i was just wondering. Don't wanna get caught up in this new fangled world of 'tons of english" as Rod observed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ceebee
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I have one on my radial shaft, on my Pechauer Cue. Hits GREAT...

Chopstick
05-10-2007, 12:59 PM
A friend of mine came over to have me put a tip on his cue. I found three more of them while I was looking for my glue. That makes seven I have so I decided to use one on his cue. He was ringing my phone this morning wanting to know what it was and how much he liked it. From his description he must've been gettin about 2500 lbs of english with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
05-11-2007, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Dee, I've read they are on the soft side. Personally I've never used one. However according to some vivid imaginations on AZB they put tons of english on the ball.LOL Personally I've never used over a 1000 pounds or so, so I haven't a clue what tons feel like! ha ha ha Probably like driving my Buick into the c/b? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
I never was a Buick man /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...but the Sniper is the only tip I use now after decades of Triangles. Omen Cues + Sniper tips = Happy Voodoo

Scottster
05-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I like the sniper tip alot. However it does take about 2 weeks to "Break In". At first I was like you, I thought it was too soft and was ready to cut it off. If you like a hard tip just give it some time. If you have access to a 3-cushion table, hit some balls with your sniper tipped shaft. To help break it in.

Like Voodoo, I reverted back to the triangles after trying Moori's and Talisman's until the sniper.

Deeman3
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Scottster:

Yes,

It's beginning to grow on me a bit more each time I play with it. If it lasts anytime at all, I may get the rest of my tips replaced with it.