PDA

View Full Version : junior cue for my daughter

kcpman
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I am teaching my daugter to play pool. I am going to get her a cheap cue that only she uses. She is 13 years old, and she is 5 feet tall.
I was wondering if she needs a shorter cue, like 48 in. or 52 in. Or is a standard cue all right for her.
She usually has to grip a standard cue far up, a little past the grip, to get into the proper position to stroke. This seems to make the cue back heavy.

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob_Jewett
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kcpman:</font><hr> I am teaching my daugter to play pool. I am going to get her a cheap cue that only she uses. She is 13 years old, and she is 5 feet tall.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I think you should get her a 52-inch cue. Here is a manufacturer whose products are carried by a local billiard supply store. They seem solid. If you have a dealer near you, she could try different lengths out before buying.

http://www.palason.ca/c_troubleshooter.html

In the best of all possible worlds, you could get a jointed cue and a succession of shafts from short to long as her arms get longer, but that solution requires a custom maker to do the shafts.

Snapshot9
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Here is some junior cues from Pooldawg.com:
I would get her a 52" cue.
Pooldawg's Junior cues (http://www.pooldawg.com/category/junior-and-children-s-pool-cues)

dg-in-centralpa
05-08-2007, 06:08 AM
When my daughter was younger, I bought her a Stealth cue. They have different sizes for children. At that time, my daughter was about 4'4, now she's 4'10 and could probably use a regular cue...but she hasn't played for several years due to school work.

DG

BigRigTom
05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
My wife is only 5' and she uses a 58" Meucci (The Rose).
She too grips it about 8" to 10" from the butt.....
This is a double edged sword ....because of her height she has to be careful about her leave. If the cue was shorter this would only amplify that facet of her position play.

My wife has also had to learn to use the bridge and I have to admit she uses it better that I do.

Just think that through before you get your daughter a short cue.

BLACKHEART
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I made my 2 grand kids Qs, that they grew into. I made a standard butt &amp; a short shaft. Then when they were older, I made a standard sized shaft...JER