PDA

View Full Version : Nationals And Webcams

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
It would be neat, and reletavily simple to implement, if the organizers of the Nationals in Vegas would have webcams above at least the premier tables, if not each of all of the tables, with internet channels available so the outside world could peek in at the games. It is the year 2007, the technology is easy. sid

ras314
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Ye Gads, Sid. Be lucky to get one webcam in each ROOM, that whole end of the Riviera seems to be full of tables. Never saw anything like it in my whole misspent life.

I just wish they had somewhere to sit awhile besides outside on the door step. Too long a walk to the Splash bar.

Makes the $10 per session down at the pro tournament even more attractive, there are bleachers down there. Not sure of the format now, but when I went they had separate tournaments for the women and men, but both going on at the same time.

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I suppose a body with a laptop and webcam/high-mount for viewing like Spiderman with his camcorder, and a paid connection through the hotel there, could pipe it on the net. Just seems to me that it's a small enough add-on to the events to have it affixed as a frill on a bunch of tables by the operators of the events, plus it'd surely make for good advertising to next years people considering joining and playins. Basically, it's relatively cheap, easy to do and at the very least, fun. 'Bout fun ain't it? How many pool players outside of Vegas you reckon would tune in during the day? A ton...sid

Deeman3
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I suppose a body with a laptop and webcam/high-mount for viewing like Spiderman with his camcorder, and a paid connection through the hotel there, could pipe it on the net. Just seems to me that it's a small enough add-on to the events to have it affixed as a frill on a bunch of tables by the operators of the events, plus it'd surely make for good advertising to next years people considering joining and playins. Basically, it's relatively cheap, easy to do and at the very least, fun. 'Bout fun ain't it? How many pool players outside of Vegas you reckon would tune in during the day? A ton...sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Between 100 and 200 for the Dynamic Duo alone. </font color>

ras314
05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, at least someone with a camera and a laptop with wifi could post photos of the score sheets I reckon. I expect to have a camera, if someone has the time...

I watched one popular match, (Ike Runnels sp? and someone I didn't know) maybe a couple dozen people looking over each others shoulder. Similar wads of people all over the place and the mobs just got bigger towards the end. So it would take a ceiling mount or one of those sky box rooms I expect. I agree, it ought to be pretty popular.

Roy

SpiderMan
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm taking my laptop - does anyone know where the "real" hotspots are? The ones I found by internet search don't seem close to the Riviera, and most are unverified by recent postings.

SpiderMan

ras314
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Maybe we can ride around a bit and try to find somewhere close if no joy at the Riv.

Now packing cues and such, think I'll take off today and spend the night in Flagstaff or somewhere. Make it a little earlier that way.

Roy

SpiderMan
05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Roy,

I just PM'd you my cell phone number so you can find me in 'Vegas. I'm going offline now to go home and finish paying bills and packing.

SpiderMan

Chopstick
05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
They got wireless ones now. Put a wireless-N hub somwhere near a server big enough to pass the traffic through.