PDA

View Full Version : Handbook of the Billiard Gods

allanpsand
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
A new CD book for Advanced Players has just been released.
Handbook of the Billiard Gods, Appendix A - Table Map

It is a kicking & banking map that shows how to gain real cue ball/object ball control.

More details at:
www.billiardgods.com (http://www.billiardgods.com)

BigRigTom
05-09-2007, 12:59 PM
$55 SEEMS CHEAP!
If it does even half of the hyped claims....does anyone know anything about this product?
I have never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything....as there are lots of things I have yet to hear about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Tom, that's some pretty good ad copy..., and while $55 may be cheap for you..I'd have to know the author's credentials before I pay out that kind of $$ for instructional material.
I'll hold off until some reviews are in....

BigRigTom
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I AM NOT endorsing this product and I ONLY said that it is CHEAP IF it reveals half of what it CLAIMS too.

I too would like to see some credentials FIRST!
I ask if ANYONE knew anything about it.

allanpsand
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifThat's funny - there actually is no hype involved (although I will admit to some clever writing).

Every benefit/skill/competency listed on the web site was experienced by all of the 30+ shooters who were involved in creating HOBG-A.

What the HOBG-A demonstrates is actual paths of 7,000 shots, each shot with 10:30, 12:00, and 1:30 cue ball hits.

When the project was first started 2 years ago, Bob Jewett (who teaches at Shoreline Billiards), provided some valuable advice and recommendations.

The HOBG-A project is a tribute to sheer bloody mule-headed, stubborn dedication to a goal of finally creating a complete table map of a 9-foot pool table.

However, just because you can see any of a dozen paths that sends the ball to any point on the table - does not change the requirement to actually practice the shot.

"Intellectual knowledge does not remove the obligation of practical experience." (Mizery - Billiard Gods Publishing Committee)

Sig
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
It says it will "improve your reputation." Sweet, but it might be too late for that.

But seriously, how about some sample pages? And if it's a self-contained book, calling it an Appendix just creates confusion.

Deeman3
05-09-2007, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote allanpsand:</font><hr> When the project was first started 2 years ago, Bob Jewett (who teaches at Shoreline Billiards), provided some valuable advice and recommendations.
<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Great,

Then we can all see what Bob has to say about it. </font color>

ras314
05-09-2007, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote allanpsand:</font><hr> However, just because you can see any of a dozen paths that sends the ball to any point on the table - does not change the requirement to actually practice the shot.

"Intellectual knowledge does not remove the obligation of practical experience." (Mizery - Billiard Gods Publishing Committee) <hr /></blockquote>

OK, now I lost interest. You mean I'd actually have to PRACTICE all those shots? Sounds kinda like the "Billiards Workbook" of a few years ago.

Besides, last thing I want is an improved reputation.

allanpsand
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.billiardgods.com/Introduction/Sample.htm

Just expand it to full screen width.

The concept is that the HOBG is WAY too big for a human book - therefore each part (in this case - "Appendix A") is released as a single book. When complete (assuming a long life), there will be 12 chapters plus 2 Appendices.

BTW, the predicted results (including the "enhanced reputation" of being able to kick to anything) do require that insidious time-waster called studious off-table review and boring on-table confirmation.
(sigh)

ras314
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Better add another appendix or two on different rail characteristics and cb speed if you want those paths to be realistic.

Might be a good starting point though.

After trying all three kicks shown, I think my horrible reputation is quite safe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Second rail hit is fairly easy to nail, cb angle opens off the second rail. For example the third rail hit is about 1 diamond left of your diagram with the 12 o'ck high follow. BTW, I usually set coins on the rails to verify the rail hits, banks and kicks both.

Table is a few year old 9 ft Diamond with Simonis 860 in good condition, super aramith pro balls.

lewcamp
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Every author thinks that they have come up with the miracle cure or system. Most of the time they are just re-inventing the wheel. What could you possibly add to the "corner 5", "plus 2" and the other systems that already exist. If you have played for any length of time you learn the four and five rail patterns. There was a guy years ago named Chris Raftis i think that showed 2,3,4 and 5 rail patterns and they were great on paper but when you tried to take them to the table they didnt come up near where he said they would. Every table plays different so at best they are just a rough reference point which is good, but not perfect. There is always someone trying to make us beleive that they have the gimmick for all our ignorance or inability. This is just the flavor of the month.

allanpsand
05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lewcamp:</font><hr> Every author thinks that they have come up with the miracle cure or system. Most of the time they are just re-inventing the wheel. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lewcamp:</font><hr> There is always someone trying to make us beleive that they have the gimmick for all our ignorance or inability. This is just the flavor of the month. <hr /></blockquote>

This is great! I've been waiting for someone like you to stick his nose above the horizon.

It is always a pleasure to meet a member of the self-appointed "guardians" of table billiard knowledge. I love their pontification from the mount on what is "right" and "wrong" and of whose viewpoint everyone must not disagree.

Are you on the New Author Welcoming Committee? Perhaps you were among those (a couple of years ago) who "helped" that poor guy in Florida who wanted to write a simple guide for teenagers to learn pool. He was only interested in helping youngsters get it right. The "guardians" were so overjoyed. Instead of the welcoming assistance he was requesting, he received such vitriol that he just disappeared from sight.

If you have such great insight into what can help the millions of pool players, where are your books, tapes, published articles, and guides? At least, put your educational standards and learning goals up for actual authors to review. It would help myself, Capelle, Byrne, Jewett, Fels, and other authors immensely to have such an insight into our audience.

Please attempt to defend your viewpoint. It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of performing an attitude deflation in front of the whole world.

The rules are - no name calling, no cussing, no personal habit denigration. Keep it clean (for the children).

Deeman3
05-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Allen,

Most of us won't attack your efforts and applaud any contribution to pool knowledge or new methods that we feel might be effective. We will question what we don't understand or is not clear. You will probably have to develop a little thicker skin about out of the blue comments as most of us do. It wouls probably serve you well to only respond to specific questions to sell your methods, rather than a general defense of every comment.

There is not a lot new in any of the content we develop for pool knowledge but that does not mean it has no value if presented in a way that instructs persons who would otherwise not be made aware of it.

So, if you have developed new knowledge, say so. If you have created a great presentation format for a system that makes it easy for even Democrats to learn, say that as well.

Just some advice from a survivor, of sorts, since 1999 on this forum.

allanpsand
05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> You will probably have to develop a little thicker skin about out of the blue comments as most of us do.

Just some advice from a survivor, of sorts, since 1999 on this forum. <hr /></blockquote>

But Pa, he made himself such an easy target!!!! And it was sooo much fun to use my 30+ years as a professional writer. It was like holding a water balloon on the 3rd floor and watching the mayor walking below. (Not that I have done such a thing.)

Ever since I saw these destructors tear apart a well-intended and good-hearted man - I've been just itching to help him and other new writers. There are so few of us willing to put fingers to keyboard in the overall purpose of making life better for new and upcoming players.

I will attempt to rein in my my baser instincts to jab bloomers, no matter how easy they make it.

wolfdancer
05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I think Deeman has some good advice there.(and has the credentials to back up that advice)
It would be better to try to win over your detractors, not put them down(and you can't win over them all)....he did have some valid points about some multi rail systems....seems like your idea...is a new, a different approach to arrive at the end point??
You may be a professional writer with over 30 years experience, but probably unknown to many of us.
I've bought many books over the years on both pool and golf...and not all of them were worth the price, so I'm trying to be more careful what I buy (living on SS will do that to you)
The promo for the CD looked good...if Bob Jewett endorses your material...that would be another selling point.
In years past....there has been some people, including one author...that have been treated poorly by some, and quit the board.

Deeman3
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
But Wolfdancer, you didn't zing me about the Democrat comment! I am disappointed! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As I share 80% of the poster's last name (I never met a single Sand as we all gathered in Sands when forming) I just wanted to give him my 30 plus years of experience as a known thug and I still don't do it right all the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am just sitting here pissed off that two fine young specimens like you and I are playing on the keyboard while SPetty, Spiderman, Scott, raz el al are partying it up like it's Prince's 1999 in Vegas as we languish over how much spin can a no-spin guy like O'Reilly gets on his draw shots, who shot John F. Kennedy and if Paris will ever learn to make a proper shiv!

All this, and I still need to learn how to make balls go around a 9 footer with accuracy with patterns over rote memorization and experience. The guy probably has good info and as soon as I start losing close games because I don't know where to hit a rail, I'll be getting a copy.

Like Red used to say, "Yep, ya hit it thar!"

Chopstick
05-10-2007, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I just wanted to give him my 30 plus years of experience as a known thug and I still don't do it right all the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <font color="blue"> Yeah, I'm a little out of practice with my thuggery myself. </font color>

I am just sitting here pissed off that two fine young specimens like you and I are playing on the keyboard while SPetty, Spiderman, Scott, raz el al are partying it up like it's Prince's 1999 in Vegas as we languish over how much spin can a no-spin guy like O'Reilly gets on his draw shots <font color="blue">I heard he uses a Sniper too.</font color> , who shot John F. Kennedy <font color="blue">Hillary did.</font color> and if Paris will ever learn to make a proper shiv!<font color="blue"> Maybe we should take her in like we did Anna. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

allanpsand
05-10-2007, 02:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> As I share 80% of the poster's last name (I never met a single Sand as we all gathered in Sands when forming) I just wanted to give him my 30 plus years of experience as a known thug and I still don't do it right all the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

My family group got here from Luxomburg in the 1800's speaking low German and settled around central Minnesota.

Even though I am getting within hollerin' distance of Social Security, I always love meeting those who can help me develop my inner thug. Both of you feel free to contact me off-forum (email at web site). We can compare notes on the best ambush sites for those young whippersnapper wannabes.

DickLeonard
05-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Deeman most great poolplayers are Democrats they hate to work and take their welfare checks from unsuspecting Republicans.LOL I was laughing with every word typed.####

Deeman3
05-11-2007, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman most great poolplayers are Democrats they hate to work and take their welfare checks from unsuspecting Republicans.LOL I was laughing with every word typed.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick,

You know you are right but there's always one exception to every rule. Have a great weekend Dick.