PDA

View Full Version : Google went too far...???

wolfdancer
05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
type in your phone number on the Google site....and your name, address will show up, with a mapquest link .....555-555-1212
Damn , now all these bill collector's can find me....
It's too much personal data to be easily acquired by strangers...I believe that you can request to block your number.

dimari
05-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Hah! Yeah it is pretty spooky. Years ago I could have cared less if my phone number & address were publicly published but that was BEFORE "Googling" became everyone's favorite pasttime. It's nothing short of criminal when you think of stalking and other invasion crimes that can occur because of how accessible everyone's personal info is these days. No wonder identity theft is running rampid. I actually received a "spoof" email from an eBay imposter which had some of my personal information disclosed & was asking for more to "update" my account. When I think of all the electronic info I so easily hand over everytime I place an order or register online for something, it makes me ill to think I'm that much closer to becoming a victim. Think of how many times you're asked to give up your SS#. The other thing is companies that share your shopping & spending habits to others as a marketing tool. My friend calls it electronic communism. He's so bothered by this "need-to-know" mentality, that he has waged a personal war by not even so much as applying for any kind of discount membership, even at our local grocery stores ("because no one needs to know what brands I buy most") & places only telephone orders- don't know how safe that is these days either but he doesn't want one iota of his personal info sent through the internet waves.
I share your frustration. However much I enjoy & utilize our modern conveniences, it can be a curse as well...
Oh well, thanks for the opportunity to vent!

Puck
05-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure if this information is still current, but here is how to remove yourself from Google:

[ QUOTE ]
In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, type your phone number in the Google search bar (i.e., 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon or the "Phone results" link next to your phone number. Removal takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. If your number does come up if you hit map, it will show you a direct map to your house.<hr /></blockquote>
And here is how to remove similar info from Yahoo:

[ QUOTE ]
To remove your address from Yahoo, select people search from the home page. Complete "US Phone and Address Search". You'll have to remove each listing one at a time by clicking on "Remove My Listing". Click "How do I remove my listing?" Click "Telephone Removal Form". Complete this form and then you should get a confirmation page...like Google, it takes 48 hours.<hr /></blockquote>

ras314
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
My number just shows the nearest town and area code. Could be because I use a PO Box.

There are no physical addresses for this area anyway. I even had the sheriffs's office call me for directions because they had a subpoena to give me. Said they knew my truck but not where I lived and they hadn't seen me in town for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sack316
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Neither mine nor my girlfriends came up. But I did do my parents phone number and got what you're talking about. It really doesn't seem like, at least to me, anything that couldn't be easily found anyway without a computer. (If)Someone's phone number and address is listed publically, then it can be easily found using a local map from a gas station.

Granted googling it all does make it sooo much easier for anyone, but I don't see how they went any further than yellowbook (or whatever phone book rules your area) in this situation.

Now, that being said: some of these other sites that provide SOOOO much info for purchasing by anyone, that's a little scary. I remember once when I was researching family tree stuff I found all kinds of documents for my late grandfather, including birth/death certificates complete with SSN and the whole works on him. Basically anything and everything a predator would have needed to create a fake identity. And I didn't even buy anything, I found all those things on a variety of free sites (including military, state, and local government sites). Now that is scary, and went a little too far IMHO!

Sack