PDA

View Full Version : Annual CCB Dinner during the US Open!

JMD in VA
05-13-2007, 10:12 PM
A MESSAGE FROM THE MAYOR'S DESK

Hi gang! I have been thinking about the dinner for a week now and wanted to throw out a suggestion for this years dinner. I think we should go to dinner on Thursday evening instead of Friday. The reason being this years Saturday night matches will be on Friday and the finals will be on Saturday evening. We will not want to miss any of the action and will want to party hard Saturday night after the finals!

Just wanted to put that out there. Questions, comments, etc.,etc.,etc.(Yul Bryner was great!)

I hope all is well and looking forward to my tournament as well as the Open!

JMD in VA

Rich R.
05-14-2007, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMD in VA:</font><hr> A MESSAGE FROM THE MAYOR'S DESK

Hi gang! I have been thinking about the dinner for a week now and wanted to throw out a suggestion for this years dinner. I think we should go to dinner on Thursday evening instead of Friday. The reason being this years Saturday night matches will be on Friday and the finals will be on Saturday evening. We will not want to miss any of the action and will want to party hard Saturday night after the finals! <hr /></blockquote>
Good morning Mr. Mayor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When the dates for the Open were changed, back in January, we discussed the issue of the CCB Tournament and decided, because of the shift in days, we would have to shift the CCB Tournament to Friday.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=242108&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=Rich%20R.&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage =3&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=242108&amp;Search=true#P ost242108

In March, I posted that I had talked to Barry B. and cleared the change in the CCB Tournament to Friday.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=247785&amp;Forum=Al l_Forums&amp;Words=Rich%20R.&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage =1&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=247706&amp;Search=true#P ost247785

At that time, we didn't discuss the dinner, but IMHO, the same situation applies and we have to shift the dinner to Thursday, as you suggested. By shifting both the tournament and the dinner by one day, the same as the Open, we will stay aligned with the same rounds in the Open.

My only regret is that this will not work for everyone, especially those who have always arrived on Friday evening. I hope they can work something out and join us a little earlier.

While we are discussing this issue, let me add that the last I heard from 9 Ball Girl, she will not be attending the Open this year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
We need a volunteer to organize and make reservations for the dinner. As we discussed before, we would like to pick a restaraunt closer to the Open to cut down on travel time. We need someone to keep a list of those attending and to make the appropriate reservations for the dinner.

As in the past, my wife and I will be taking care of the tournament. This year, in Wendy's absence, we will also keep the players list and, with the help of the prize committee, we will keep the list of donations for the raffle. Hopefully, those who were on the prize committee last year will continue, JMD?, and anyone who would like to volunteer can contact me. We always need people to contact companies/vendors to obtain donations for the raffle. I already have a couple of donations to get us started. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With the Open being a little later this year, there is no rush to get these things settled, but there is no harm in starting early. It will be here before we know it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will be starting a thread a little later, to start a players list and get things rolling.

In the meantime, please step up, if you would like to help organize the dinner or help with the prize committee. We can always use some help with these things and they don't happen without a little help from the group.

9 Ball Girl
05-14-2007, 08:07 AM
How about Ruby Tuesday's? I had mentioned that one about 2 years ago but the Yukon won out. Anyway, Ruby Tuesday is about a 2-3 minute drive from the convention center.

Ruby Tuesday Menu (http://www.rubytuesday.com/menu.asp)
1412 GREENBRIER PARKWAY, #130
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23320
Phone: 757-366-0739

The last time I was there I had asked if they could accomodate about 20 people and they said they could as long as they're notified early enough.

(I just heard that the Holiday Inn is going through some renovations so that's not the host hotel this year?)

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Rich,
How about that place you,Cathy, Mrs. DG and I go to, I think it's Smoky Bones, can they handle us? Just another suggestion. I also like Ruby Tuesday as well. We're both looking forward to the CCB tournament as well as the Open. Are we playing 10 Ball again? I thought that worked fine last year.

DG - starting to practice for the CCB tourney

Tom_In_Cincy
05-14-2007, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> How about Ruby Tuesday's? I had mentioned that one about 2 years ago but the Yukon won out. Anyway, Ruby Tuesday is about a 2-3 minute drive from the convention center.<hr /></blockquote>

Ruby's has always been a favorite... great salad bar and very good food and service...

Out of town trips this year are not going to include the US OPEN.

Tell everyone I said HI

Tony_in_MD
05-15-2007, 03:12 AM
There is an Old Country Buffet close to the convention center, for those who like that sort of fare.

Rich R.
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> How about that place you,Cathy, Mrs. DG and I go to, I think it's Smoky Bones, can they handle us?<hr /></blockquote>
DG, Smokey Bones is a great place, but, like you, I don't know if they can handle us. I would assume they can put tables together and serve us, but I don't know if they will take reservations and seat us as soon as we get there. Because we all want to get back to the Open, we don't have time to wait for a table.

The first year of the CCB Dinner, we went to a steak house, which was close, but I don't remember the name.

We need a place that is close to the Open, that will take reservations and seat and serve us ASAP. This is why we need someone to step up and be in charge of finding a place and handling the reservations.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>Are we playing 10 Ball again? I thought that worked fine last year. <hr /></blockquote>
What format we use will depend on the number of players.
If we get enough players, we will be able to go back to the original scotch doubles 9-ball format.
With lower numbers, the 10-ball ring game format worked better.
The format will be decided down the road, when we get a players list and determine how many players we have.

Eric.
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I'll step up and do the dinner list/reservations/restaurant hunt.

I prolly won't make the dinner or the CCB tourney. With a little luck, I should get in by early Friday afternoon.

Either way, I can make the calls once things get rolling.

Eric

Rich R.
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I'll step up and do the dinner list/reservations/restaurant hunt.

I prolly won't make the dinner or the CCB tourney. With a little luck, I should get in by early Friday afternoon.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Eric. I appreciate the help with this.
I only wish you could find a way to skip out of work for a day and join us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After all, some of us know you are an official "slacker". /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Timberly
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I'll step up and do the dinner list/reservations/restaurant hunt.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Eric. If you need any help, let me know. Here's something that might help. This tool has become invaulable to me when making out of town plans.

Go to google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl
Click on "Find Businesses"
In the first box enter "Restaurants"
In the 2nd box enter "900 Greenbrier Circle, Chesapeake, VA 23320"

This will list all the restaurants, starting with the closest. It tells you how far it is, the address, phone number, and even shows a map to the side so you can see where it is in relation to the address you entered.

Eric.
05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Timberly:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I'll step up and do the dinner list/reservations/restaurant hunt.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks Eric. If you need any help, let me know. Here's something that might help. This tool has become invaulable to me when making out of town plans.

Go to google maps http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl
Click on "Find Businesses"
In the first box enter "Restaurants"
In the 2nd box enter "900 Greenbrier Circle, Chesapeake, VA 23320"

This will list all the restaurants, starting with the closest. It tells you how far it is, the address, phone number, and even shows a map to the side so you can see where it is in relation to the address you entered. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Tims. I also have "Vindigo" on my PDA, which is great. Of course, I also can use my worst tool (my memory) from going there over the years... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric

Eric.
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Thanks Eric. I appreciate the help with this.
I only wish you could find a way to skip out of work for a day and join us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After all, some of us know you are an official "slacker". /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Looks like I'll be going wit hthe proverbial "wait and see".

Either way, just let me know what everyone's preferences are and I'll get it done.

Eric

Voodoo Daddy
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
The Grate Steak...I'll always remember KATO burning his own cow.

9 Ball Girl
05-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I kind of remember Kato's steak mooing after he cut into it. And of course, there'll always be your boot shot glass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
05-18-2007, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I kind of remember Kato's steak mooing after he cut into it. And of course, there'll always be your boot shot glass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Shhhhhhhhhh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
"Wipe it's butt and chop it's horns." sid