PDA

View Full Version : Earl Strickland interview

bradb
05-14-2007, 08:41 AM
I watched an interview with Earl and as much as I disliked the guy in the past I must admit I enjoyed his slant on the game. When asked why he still played when his game was not what it used to be he commented that as long as he could drag himself to a table he would never stop playing. That if anyone who has ever played this game and has developed a passion for it they would understand what he meant. I certainly understood. Its like an addiction, whenever I see a table I'm drawn to it like a magnet, I will stay up all night to watch a match and have played games till I could hardly stand. When I was younger I practically ran to the pool hall. Its in my blood and I love the game as all my pool friends do.

Its Earls passion for pool thats got him into trouble, he respects the game so much it enfuriates him when he sees it misused by promoters who will do anything to make a buck. He has no patience for those who ignorant of the game from spectators to the press and anyone else he thinks is bad for pool. He also confessed that his hot head and excentrics have much to do with it.

He says that he still shoots as well as he always did, he just does'nt have the power break he used to have? I find that a cop out, its a young mans game and you lose your edge when you get older. But I for one know where he's coming from and will always respect him for that. Brad

ho_fo_sho
05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I know exactly what you and he means about being drawn to pool. I'll play hours every day once I've gotten my pool table and I love it. But, I still think Earl is a bit of a dick. : /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bradb
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Years ago I went into a pool hall early in the morning in Dallas, it was dingy and smoky and situated on top of a restraunt/bar. At the center table were two guys in playing 9-ball. A local told me they had been playing allnight at up to 100 bucks a game. I came back that evening and those same guys were still there! One player was up a few games after what must a been 24 hours of continous play. I came back again around midnight and by now they could hardly make a ball. Some one told me they had lost count hours ago over who was ahead. I left never knowing how long those guys went, they were like addicts they were on a pool high!