PDA

View Full Version : Making table/cloth play faster?

1hit1der
05-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Obviously cleaning the balls (and polishing them) will make them play like new, keeping spin on longer with less friction against the table.

I was wondering if there was a way to make the table or cloth play faster too, beyond brushing and vacuuming. When I've played on new cloth, the balls slide a lot more and the english doesn't take so well off the rails. Can this be simulated to a degree on old cloth by spraying something on the table or anything like that?

Thanks.

Bob_Jewett
05-14-2007, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1hit1der:</font><hr> Obviously cleaning the balls (and polishing them) will make them play like new, keeping spin on longer with less friction against the table.

I was wondering if there was a way to make the table or cloth play faster too, beyond brushing and vacuuming. When I've played on new cloth, the balls slide a lot more and the english doesn't take so well off the rails. Can this be simulated to a degree on old cloth by spraying something on the table or anything like that?

Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
You can get the cue ball to slide using silicone spray. This is standard for exhibition players who want to show impossible shots rather than the merely unreasonable. You could also try heating your table or ironing the cloth (which they do for some snooker tables).

KellyStick
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
I have covered my 8' olhausen myself twice now and helped others twice. I have Simonis (the weave number escapes me). I don't know whether there is a spray or iron on solution but I think the speed has a lot to do with the type of cloth but possibly more importantly is how tightly it is applied. The first time I covered my table it was loose. It was not fast and I was not so happy with it. This second time I covered it I had help and I tried hard to get it real tight. It is better but not where I know this cloth can be as far as speed and the ability to subtly control the cue ball. Since this last try I discovered a procedure on line that describes the sequence of applying the cloth. This was a VERY non-intuitive sequence that I wouldn't be able to perform with out the procedure in front of me. Perhaps this allows you to really get a tight application. The reason you like a newly covered table might be that the cloth has had little time to stretch? Now this is all pretty much theory on my part. My gut feel is until you cover your table with a fast cloth and apply it correctly, tight enough and following the right sequence that you probably can only do so much with Irons and sprayon applications. Maybe if there was a way to shrink the cloth thus pull it tighter?

Next time I cover my table I am going to follow a procedure and that cloth is going to be almost ripping apart tight!

BLACKHEART
05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
You can simply IRON the cloth, with the clothes iron, set on the WOOL setting. For even faster cloth, you can use spray starch &amp; then iron. CAUTION: Do not iron the cloth, if the seams in the slate, are filled in with wax. It will melt &amp; then stain your cloth. If you have plaster or Bondo on the slate, you will have no problem...JER

KellyStick
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Does ironing shrink the cloth or just make it flatter? or both? I'm thinking of clothes that shrink on a hot cycle in the dryer.

BLACKHEART
05-16-2007, 09:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> Does ironing shrink the cloth or just make it flatter? or both? I'm thinking of clothes that shrink on a hot cycle in the dryer. <hr /></blockquote>
It flattens the fibers. The starch seals the fibers in the flat position. Pool halls have been doing this for years...JER

bradb
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
In responce to 1hit1der---

The type of cloth you have on your table is important to answer your question properly.

There is modern "shaved cloth"...Simonis 860, or any similar brand. The other is "napped cloth" which is an older cloth. You will find it mostly on snooker tables.

Napped cloth should be brushed in one direction only so that the fibers lay down evenly. This cloth is ironed occasionlly to facilitate fast play.

Modern shaved cloth can be brushed in any direction. The fibers are much shorter and is a smoother surface. It does'nt need ironing, it will play fairly much the same through out its life as long as you keep the surface clean.

Since this surface is so smooth any pieces of chalk or dust buidup will effect play. I clean my Simonis after every series, vacuming works as well as a brush. There is a cleaner also called PTC Cue Silk which you spray on and wipe off.

Any professional cloth installer should strech your cloth very tight when installing, thats a given, if its loose then theres a problem as it wasn't installed properly. I got all my info on this from the Simonis distributor who was very helpful in installing my table. Cheers, Brad