PDA

View Full Version : gripping the cue

allstar
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Question, I have been playing for many years. I consider myself a much better than average player. High run is 71 on a nine foot table. Have run more than 100 a few times on 7 foot tables. Until recently I always adjusted my rear grip on some shots. Choking up and also moving back. Is this the correct thing to do? Am becoming much more serious with my game. When I watch the pros their rear grip does not appear to change. Obviously the feel for the cue is different when you constantly change your spacing. Feedback would be appreciated.

pooltchr
05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
If you are changing the distance your bridge hand is from the cue ball, you should adjust your grip hand the same distance. This will keep your grip hand directly under your elbow when the tip actually makes contact with the cb....which is exactly what you want.
Steve

KellyStick
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Interesting question and I don't know an answer that is correct if there is any such thing as correct. I have often noticed that when I pick up my stick I hold it at the butt in a certain place. I don't really think about this it is all a fell thing. I could probably play all night without moving where i hold the stick. I have made a mental note about this too self several times. In fact when I get it to where it feels right I have an unconcious aversion to changing position, i have noticed... Some weird position shots yeah you have to change. BUt for me I don't see myself moving where I hold the stick much at all. I ain't no pro but I do study the game and that's what I end up doing. Too me it is possibly about just minimizing the amount of variables in a shot. You can change all sorts of things in a shot and also be thinking about all sorts of things you might should do with a shot. So minimizing the variables down to the critical important variables and not tieing up mental energy on all sorts of things helps you focus on the critical few.

bsmutz
05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
I only change my grip location to make sure my forearm is perpendicular to the cue. I can feel the unnatural movement when I don't. On shots that I need a lot of action and power I will lengthen my bridge significantly and consequently move my grip back. I also do this on the break shot. On close rail shots or jacked up shots I will shorten my bridge and grip closer.

BigRigTom
05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I move my grip hand back on the brake because I also use a long bridge, forward when I need the short bridge accuracy and then I also move my hand forward when I want to jack up on a shot.
I hadn't really thought too much about that until I read this thread.
It only makes sense to me to move my grip hand at those time and no one had to tell me to do it.
Choking up on the cue is GREAT help when you are jacking up on a shot because it allows a great angle while still feeling natural on the stance.
That's my 2 cents worth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jal
05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote allstar:</font><hr> Question, I have been playing for many years. I consider myself a much better than average player. High run is 71 on a nine foot table. Have run more than 100 a few times on 7 foot tables. Until recently I always adjusted my rear grip on some shots. Choking up and also moving back. Is this the correct thing to do? Am becoming much more serious with my game. When I watch the pros their rear grip does not appear to change. Obviously the feel for the cue is different when you constantly change your spacing. Feedback would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>With regard to changing the spacing between your bridge and grip hands, you might also want to try the AZB forum where "Blackjack" David Sapolis posts. He has presented this as a method of speed control at his website (which no longer exists I believe).

I'm guessing that BCA instructors, in general, wouldn't recommend it. For one, there's the problem of potentially inconsistent tip placements in the vertical direction. For another, theory suggests that choking up on the cue amplifies speed errors due to imperfect stroke mechanics. But the theory does not enjoy much in the way of supporting data as to how the force vs time curves change in response to different grip positions.

Jim

sidepocketsam
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I've actually found that when I grip back further, I tend to get more low english on the ball, and when I choke up, I get more top. I use this, especially when object and the cue are fairly close together and I want a lot of top spin.

wolfdancer
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Grip it and rip it!!
Is that Battleground Billiard Academy still open...or has the state gambling commission shut it down?

SpiderMan
05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I do shift my grip-hand position, in response to variations in my bridge length (distance from bridge hand to CB). I find that I am most comfortable by having the distance between grip and bridge hands "standard" at the moment of tip contact to CB.

I don't, however, vary my bridge length freely with every shot. For most shots I have a favored bridge length and therefore a favored grip-hand position. But, when circumstances dictate different bridge lengths, I adjust my grip to keep the distance between the two hands fairly standard.

This may occur, for example, when the rail intereferes with my standard bridge and I need to lengthen by a couple inches to bridge on the rail. Then my grip hand will move back. Similarly, when I use a short bridge to control a soft finesse shot or maybe a nip draw, my grip hand will be correspondingly forward.

I had not noticed that "the pros" do not change their grip position. Perhaps they are most often seen playing the "open" game of 9-ball, and they play position very well, so more of their shots are "standard bridge".

SpiderMan