PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave.

supergreenman
05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Up here in Canada we have a pretty good library system. (At least where I'm from) At any rate, I was browsing the on-line catalog for billiards related material when I came across Dr. Daves book. I immediatly put a hold on it and was able to go pick it up last week.

Ok, so I've had the book for a week now and so far I've only had time to browse through it. It has very detailed descriptions of different shots in it. Almost to the point of being intimidating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quick to pick up on a lot of the more technical aspects of the game, but for some reason I just can't get into this book.(yet)

Somethings I like or at least I think I will like are:
* most shots have illustrations to go with it.
* there es a lot of on-line reference material listed in the book to back up each lesson.

I think maybe I'll just have to get a really good sleep before I takle it.

dr_dave
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> Up here in Canada we have a pretty good library system. (At least where I'm from) At any rate, I was browsing the on-line catalog for billiards related material when I came across Dr. Daves book. I immediatly put a hold on it and was able to go pick it up last week.

Ok, so I've had the book for a week now and so far I've only had time to browse through it. It has very detailed descriptions of different shots in it. Almost to the point of being intimidating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quick to pick up on a lot of the more technical aspects of the game, but for some reason I just can't get into this book.(yet)

* there es a lot of on-line reference material listed in the book to back up each lesson.

I think maybe I'll just have to get a really good sleep before I takle it. <hr /></blockquote>If you find the detail boring or intimidating, just skip it. I designed the book so it can be "read" at different levels. If you are the type of person that doesn't want to know why something works, just look at the main illustrations, shaded Principle boxes, and online videos. If you want to understand things at a deeper level, then read all of the paragraphs and look at the detailed illustrations.

I hope you find the book and website useful and interesting on closer inspection. If you have any additional feedback in the future, please let me know via PM or e-mail.

Regards,
Dave

supergreenman
05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Dave, I will definately be able to make use of the book, I just need the right combination of time and motivation. It's interesting to note that I picked up a book written by the Miz. Other than the pictures and the essay at the beginning of the book, I found the info pretty basic. Needless to say, it's already back at the library.

Sig
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I could see an unmotivated reader being turned off by it, but it's really not that technical, Dr. Dave mercifully left out the mathematical proofs. I think it's a terrific book. Dr. Dave, I hope there's a sequel that covers some of the more advanced topics that you've written about for BD (but still leave out the proofs!)

bradb
05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> Up here in Canada we have a pretty good library system. (At least where I'm from) At any rate, I was browsing the on-line catalog for billiards related material when I came across Dr. Daves book. I immediatly put a hold on it and was able to go pick it up last week.

I think maybe I'll just have to get a really good sleep before I takle it. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Greenman, nice to hear from ya. I played over in calgary for 10 years before moving out here to BC, took me 3 months to thaw out! My snooker game was never any good after that though. You probably know all the old players, I go back aways, remember Joe Big Plume?

Anyway I never got a hold of Daves book, I've been waiting for him to come out with the comic book version. -Cheers, Brad

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>Anyway I never got a hold of Daves book, I've been waiting for him to come out with the comic book version.<hr /></blockquote>Funny you should mention that, because I think my book looks much more like a comic book than any other book out there. It is in full color, and it is full of illustrations, photos, clipart, shading, and visual design. I think it is the best-illustrated pool book available. That's why I gave it its title: "The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards." I think you can just look at the illustration, photos, and videos (and not read a single word), and still get most of the important points. I hope you don't think my book has math and equations in it. That stuff is just on my website.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sig:</font><hr> I could see an unmotivated reader being turned off by it, but it's really not that technical, Dr. Dave mercifully left out the mathematical proofs. I think it's a terrific book. Dr. Dave, I hope there's a sequel that covers some of the more advanced topics that you've written about for BD (but still leave out the proofs!) <hr /></blockquote>I do have sequels planned, but it might be a couple of years before the next book appears. Thank you for your nice comments.

Regards,
Dave

bradb
05-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad <hr /></blockquote>You guys probably wouldn't like it anyway. There is no coverage of "ball oil" or "bent sticks." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

BigRigTom
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I have Dr. Dave's book and I think it is GREAT! I have read bits and pieces of it as I felt the need to understand a particular situation. I've had the book for a couple of years now and just about a month ago I decided to read it from cover to cover. That was immediately after I finished reading Phil Chappelle's book "Play your best pool" which I also read cover to cover.

The way I do that kind of thing is I lay the book down in plain site, I pick it up when ever the urge hits me and I read for as long as it holds my attention.
Sometimes that is a page, sometimes it is a section, sometimes it may be a whole chapter, I am currently on the 2 rail kick section so I'm almost done reading it.

I don't think I am LEARNING anything new from Dr. Dave's BUT I have been reminded of SEVERAL things that I had forgotten and I have clarified a few misunderstanding I had and more fully understand a few things that I was foggy on.
Bottom line.... it has been time well spent.

Conclusion ....I still think that it is the best book I have read on pool. The references available online are ABSOLUTELY the best available anywhere and since that stuff is all FREE!!!! MY GOD MAN!!!!!
You can't beat it with a stick!!!!

Dr. Dave,
I am a fan and I look forward to your next book and I also read ALL your articles in the Billiards Digest.
Keep up the good work.

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I have Dr. Dave's book and I think it is GREAT! I have read bits and pieces of it as I felt the need to understand a particular situation. I've had the book for a couple of years now and just about a month ago I decided to read it from cover to cover. That was immediately after I finished reading Phil Chappelle's book "Play your best pool" which I also read cover to cover.

The way I do that kind of thing is I lay the book down in plain site, I pick it up when ever the urge hits me and I read for as long as it holds my attention.
Sometimes that is a page, sometimes it is a section, sometimes it may be a whole chapter, I am currently on the 2 rail kick section so I'm almost done reading it.

I don't think I am LEARNING anything new from Dr. Dave's BUT I have been reminded of SEVERAL things that I had forgotten and I have clarified a few misunderstanding I had and more fully understand a few things that I was foggy on.
Bottom line.... it has been time well spent.

Conclusion ....I still think that it is the best book I have read on pool. The references available online are ABSOLUTELY the best available anywhere and since that stuff is all FREE!!!! MY GOD MAN!!!!!
You can't beat it with a stick!!!!

Dr. Dave,
I am a fan and I look forward to your next book and I also read ALL your articles in the Billiards Digest.
Keep up the good work. <hr /></blockquote>
Tom,

Thank you so much for your flattering endorsement and encouragement. I plan to keep up the work, and I hope some people continue to think it is good.

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Tom, that's one heck of an endorsement for Dr. Dave. I doubt I could pay anybody, enough $$ to write something (anything) positive about me.
I want to congratulate you on your myspace site....one of the best that I've seen!!!!
Keep on "trucking"!!!!

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Tom, that's one heck of an endorsement for Dr. Dave. I doubt I could pay anybody, enough $$ to write something (anything) positive about me.<hr /></blockquote>How about this:

"Wolfie is an OK guy ... most of the time." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No payment required (unless you want to buy me a beer some day),
Dave

wolfdancer
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Every time I read one of Mac's posts about bent sticks....I think back to "Wild" Bill...."Crazy" Bill to some folks. He was fighting a losing battle with diabetes, and went off the deep end occasionally...sugar imbalance and who knows what..
Bill would show up at a tournament with an assortment of cues, including an aluminum one.... each cue was for a designated shot.....then proceed to tell me (I had the unfortunate job then, of tournament director) that he couldn't get a cue maker to build a cue to match his stroke ...as if that weren't enough of a setback....it seemed that both the manufacturers of cushions and table coverings couldn't meet the spec. demands of Bill's use of extreme English. He was pool's "Don Qiuxote" fighting on against all these conspirators....
They wouldn't let Bill play in the main room of the Sands, when they hosted the USPPA.
If Bill were alive today, he would be emailing you with his ideas, and would have found a kindred spirit in Mad Mac!

wolfdancer
05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks, you have made my day!!!!
And you have a beer coming.....

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Every time I read one of Mac's posts about bent sticks....I think back to "Wild" Bill...."Crazy" Bill to some folks. He was fighting a losing battle with diabetes, and went off the deep end occasionally...sugar imbalance and who knows what..
Bill would show up at a tournament with an assortment of cues, including an aluminum one.... each cue was for a designated shot.....then proceed to tell me (I had the unfortunate job then, of tournament director) that he couldn't get a cue maker to build a cue to match his stroke ...as if that weren't enough of a setback....it seemed that both the manufacturers of cushions and table coverings couldn't meet the spec. demands of Bill's use of extreme English. He was pool's "Don Qiuxote" fighting on against all these conspirators....
They wouldn't let Bill play in the main room of the Sands, when they hosted the USPPA.
If Bill were alive today, he would be emailing you with his ideas, and would have found a kindred spirit in Mad Mac! <hr /></blockquote>Mac does seem to have some bizarre ideas at times, and it bugs me that he refuses to use "English" (maybe he doesn't like "skwert" and "throe"), but I certainly appreciate his presence on the forum. It is healthy to have diverse ideas and perspectives, even if they are not "mainstream."

Regards,
Dave

bradb
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad <hr /></blockquote>You guys probably wouldn't like it anyway. There is no coverage of "ball oil" or "bent sticks." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave, don't tell me you've been readin that stuff!... Whats this about the ball oil? I've gotta check in to that. -Brad

wolfdancer
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't take me wrong....I enjoy Mac's posts...even pm him about them...and since Australia would be my second choice as a country to live in (been there twice)...I have found a kindred spirit of sorts in Mac.
Mac's posts reminds me that for most of us...this is just a game, and the idea is to enjoy it....

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad <hr /></blockquote>You guys probably wouldn't like it anyway. There is no coverage of "ball oil" or "bent sticks." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave, don't tell me you've been readin that stuff!... Whats this about the ball oil? I've gotta check in to that. -Brad <hr /></blockquote>Just because I read it, it doesn't mean I like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd prefer not dredge up the "ball oil" stuff again.

Dave

dr_dave
05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Don't take me wrong....I enjoy Mac's posts...even pm him about them...and since Australia would be my second choice as a country to live in (been there twice)...I have found a kindred spirit of sorts in Mac.
Mac's posts reminds me that for most of us...this is just a game, and the idea is to enjoy it.... <hr /></blockquote>How dare you claim "this is just a game?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Blasphemy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

PS: I like Mac's posts too (when I take the time to translate them).

bradb
05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave, don't tell me you've been readin that stuff!... Whats this about the ball oil? I've gotta check in to that. -Brad <hr /></blockquote>Just because I read it, it doesn't mean I like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

To late... time to start a new thread!.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jal
05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>Mac does seem to have some bizarre ideas at times, and it bugs me that he refuses to use "English" (maybe he doesn't like "skwert" and "throe"), but I certainly appreciate his presence on the forum. It is healthy to have diverse ideas and perspectives, even if they are not "mainstream."<hr /></blockquote>Everytime I've read one of his ideas, and I mean just about 100% of them, my reaction has been, nah. But they have a way of diffusing through your brain, clipping a few synapse here, welding some together there, til one day you wake up and say to yourself, "Yes, of course, it must be so.....glad I though of it...hmmm, wonder what sort of crazy nonsense that Mac guy will come up with next?"

Jim

BigRigTom
05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Thank you Wolfdancer for taking the time to visit my site on Myspace.
My kids got me to set up that site because they are all on there and it's nice to share their experiences in a way they have chosen....by the way...my kids are all adults and my 3rd grandson is on the way. It's hard for me to believe I am almost 57 and my youngest daughter is 23!
Where did the years go?

As for Dr. Dave's book...I only said what I think.
I have been playing pool for over 40 years and I read Steve Mizarek's (that may not be spelled right) book about 15 years ago. It did practically nothing for me. I found Dr. Dave's book quite by accident as I was browsing in Border's Books in Westlake, Ca. waiting for my wife to buy out the store. She reads like you wouldn't believe. I skimmed the book and tried some of the examples and then watched some of the videos on the web site. They all made sense and I finally got some answers to questions that no one else seemed to be able to provide. (I won't bore you with those details, but I was given bad advise for years.) I was hooked after just a few of the examples were demonstrated on that site and when I tried them they workeed for me too.

SpiderMan
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad <hr /></blockquote>You guys probably wouldn't like it anyway. There is no coverage of "ball oil" or "bent sticks." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Is that one of the "marital aid" massage products they sell at those XXX stores with all the 18-wheelers snuggled together in the side lot?

SpiderMan

bradb
05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>Mac does seem to have some bizarre ideas at times, and it bugs me that he refuses to use "English" (maybe he doesn't like "skwert" and "throe"), but I certainly appreciate his presence on the forum. It is healthy to have diverse ideas and perspectives, even if they are not "mainstream."<hr /></blockquote>Everytime I've read one of his ideas, and I mean just about 100% of them, my reaction has been, nah. But they have a way of diffusing through your brain, clipping a few synapse here, welding some together there, til one day you wake up and say to yourself, "Yes, of course, it must be so.....glad I though of it...hmmm, wonder what sort of crazy nonsense that Mac guy will come up with next?"

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

Jim, you can't try and understand Max headon, he's a lateral thinker, when you start to look at his ideas from a different perspective you begin to grasp the meaning, but just as you examine that idea he changes direction and throws you a whole new curve and you're back to square one. I'm sure if Max reads this he will argue that he's a 4 dimensional thinker, and is not bound by our back and forth up and down world. -Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dr_dave
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>Mac does seem to have some bizarre ideas at times, and it bugs me that he refuses to use "English" (maybe he doesn't like "skwert" and "throe"), but I certainly appreciate his presence on the forum. It is healthy to have diverse ideas and perspectives, even if they are not "mainstream."<hr /></blockquote>Everytime I've read one of his ideas, and I mean just about 100% of them, my reaction has been, nah. But they have a way of diffusing through your brain, clipping a few synapse here, welding some together there, til one day you wake up and say to yourself, "Yes, of course, it must be so.....glad I though of it...hmmm, wonder what sort of crazy nonsense that Mac guy will come up with next?"<hr /></blockquote>Jim,

Good point. Mac's creative "nonsense" does sometimes help create understanding, if not always directly. However, sometimes my synapses just break and don't get welded back together. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Have'nt even seen it Dave, just funnin. Brad <hr /></blockquote>You guys probably wouldn't like it anyway. There is no coverage of "ball oil" or "bent sticks." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Is that one of the "marital aid" massage products they sell at those XXX stores with all the 18-wheelers snuggled together in the side lot?<hr /></blockquote>I can't imagine what else it could be. It certainly has nothing to do with pool, unless those truck drivers happen to visit the XXX store before going to the pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

wolfdancer
05-24-2007, 11:37 AM
maybe Mac is "Patrick" all growed up!!
You would have to go back a few years to when Patrick was posting here to understand.....

dr_dave
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> maybe Mac is "Patrick" all growed up!!
You would have to go back a few years to when Patrick was posting here to understand..... <hr /></blockquote>Now that is cruel! (but fun to imagine)

Dave

cushioncrawler
05-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Virtual Pool is the future.

"The best players are the ones you will never see" -- One.