PDA

View Full Version : meucci black dot shaft

07-24-2002, 08:57 AM
anyone have first hand knowledge about the meucci blk dot shaft compared to the red dot and also the predator 314. i have tried both the red dot and 314 shafts and found both to play well however i would the give the edge to the 314.

Chris Cass
07-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi Simsd,

In Vegas I watched the comparison between the deflection of a red dot vs. a blk dot. The blk dot had less. It was a laser guided mechanical stroke arm, done on a 7 ft. Dia. table. The test was suppose to be on a 9 ft. but couldn't get one.

The gentleman, was thorough in his demonstration however, he wasn't about to put a 314, on the mechanical arm. He'd be crazy to use his competitors product. What if it had done better? Me myself, would if I believed in the product I was selling. He did use Rempe' shaft, also a Meucci. Jim, smashed the tip a couple of times before putting it on the device.

It was clear by the marks on the target area that the blk dot was, very close to right on and definitely beat out, the red dot. Myself, I believe by the marks that the blk dot could give the 314 a challenge. Then again, maybe tips come into play also.

Regards,

C.C.~~I wanted to put the S.W. shaft on the machine but I chickened out. At $260. a pop wouldn't you?

Cueless Joey
07-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Hmmn, Bob M claimed one time in print his Red Dot had ZERO deflection. He also stated laminated shafts are too unpredictable. Why then now is he marketing a laminated shaft?
Rempe mashing the tip? My guess is with a flatter tip, the shaft was actually putting less english on the ball b/c it wasn't hitting the spot on the cb it was supposed to.
How much credibility does Bob Meucci have?
To me, none.

Doctor_D
07-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Good afternoon:

As a friend stated so plainly, the Black Dot shaft is "Plywood"!

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
07-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey Joey,

It's all about money. I'm thinking their ploy is, to use better wood, to laminate togather. Who knows? I'm not getting one, but I do like demonstrations.

I watched the cue guy, repairing shafts and applying tips and stuff, most of the time. He was scarry to me though. I got hi a couple of times smelling, the acetone he was using. He wasn't shy with the sand paper either. I was blown away. His prices were inflated so much, it seemed he was getting 30 times what he paid for the booth space. I asked him what he charges for installing a ivory ferrule if the ivory was provided? He said $50. ea. Then, I asked how much for a small wiff of acetone? He looked over his glasses. lol I soon left.....

C.C.

07-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Gee D, wonder which friend that was? wink, wink.
Lorri is rolling on the floor, laughing to bust a gut, tears streaming down her face!!!

07-25-2002, 11:04 PM
At Valley Forge this past year we put a Tascarella, Omega, and a Lambros on Bob's myth destroyer and they all shot about 7.75 inches out of the center. And compared to the Meucci Red Dot shafts they were claiming that was very bad. I am not too sure about that, as I like the Tascarella's and Omega's play.
I had the opportunity to hit a couple of balls with a Black Dot shaft and I had a real tough time making the ball go where I wanted it. It felt very loose and flexable. Call me old school, but I like my shafts to be 13mm+ preferably with an ivory ferrule.
Even so I still have a soft spot for some of the old Meucci Originals and keep a couple in collection.

Cueless Joey
07-25-2002, 11:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

As a friend stated so plainly, the Black Dot shaft is "Plywood"!

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>.....
Looking forward to Meucci's next shafts? Titanium coated shafts perhaps. LOL

Chris Cass
07-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Hi Gypsy,

I really never played with a Meucci red dot shaft. I'm old school too. I shot with a Meucci for 11 yrs., McDermott for 8 yrs. and finally my South West for 11 yrs. till present. So I'm all over deflection. LOL

What, I'm saying is if you claim your product is superior to others. Then, atleast allow the others to compete.

Regards,

C.C.

griffith_d
07-26-2002, 06:56 AM
Flat laminations require that the shaft is always in the same position when hitting, as opposed to equal pie pieces as the 314 is. To me that would be a distraction while you are playing.

Griff

Rod
07-26-2002, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: gypsy:</font><hr> At Valley Forge this past year we put a Tascarella, Omega, and a Lambros on Bob's myth destroyer and they all shot about 7.75 inches out of the center. And compared to the Meucci Red Dot shafts they were claiming that was very bad. I am not too sure about that, as I like the Tascarella's and Omega's play.
I had the opportunity to hit a couple of balls with a Black Dot shaft and I had a real tough time making the ball go where I wanted it. It felt very loose and flexable. Call me old school, but I like my shafts to be 13mm+ preferably with an ivory ferrule.
Even so I still have a soft spot for some of the old Meucci Originals and keep a couple in collection. <hr></blockquote>

gypsy, do tell me what the term, "shot 7 3/4" out of the center" is in reference to.

Rod
07-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Quote, C.C.~~I wanted to put the S.W. shaft on the machine but I chickened out. At $260. a pop wouldn't you?

C.C., I sure as hell don't need a machine to tell me my shaft has a little squirt. Every shaft made has squirt. Some more some less, it's the person as you well know that has to adapt to the equipment and playing conditions. Like you I'd never pay some guy, especially using his variables, $260, or $10 for that matter.

07-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Rod,
7.75 inches is the distance outside the mark on the opposing rail of the table that this machine shoots at. The Meucci cues shot much closer to the spot than the cues that I have listed.

Here is a picture showing this machine http://www.jipz.com/proficient_photos/images/DSC01590.JPG

and here is the a page on my site showing the maching in action http://www.jipz.com/proficient_photos/meuccimythdestroyer.htm You will see in the video that there are two guys running the show... Bob Meucci releasing the cue on the machine and Steve Lomax is marking how far off center the ball is when it reaches the end rail.

The stiffer the cue is the further off center it will hit.