PDA

View Full Version : Predator P2 vs 5K

Artemis
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I wish to purchase a new Predator cue in the near future. Besides the obvious differences explained on Predator's web site, what are the differences in playing style between these cues? I personally like the P2 with the curly maple, Z2 shaft and Moori tip, but have not played with either, nor do I have the opportunity to try different cues. Any suggestions?
BTW, I currently own a McDermott with an I2 shaft

Snapshot9
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
The 5k is $500 and the P2 is over $800. Most comments I have seen prefer the P2 to the 5K.

My question is why? You can get a nice custom built for that kind of money, the way you want it. My cuemaker, Bob Owen, of Shurtz custom cues, has his own versions of the 314-1 and 314-2(Z shaft), and they are made the same way
predator makes them.

Perhaps you need to do some more research before deciding.

canadan
05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
no copy write probs?

theaquaticape
05-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a Predator Sneaky Pete, A 5K3 and a beautiful Jacoby custom cue. My favorite of the three is the Predator 5K3. I haven't played with a P2. I think the cheapest P2 is about $560 but has a mettalic finish which doesn't appeal to me. My 5K3 was the same price and the appearance appealed to me more. I like the 5K3, because it has a nice hit and great feel... and it is nice looking for a predator... I saw no reason for spending more money on predator production cue, but liked the sneaky pete so much just wanted to see how the spliced butt felt - as I wasn't as fond of the feel of the sneaky pete(my only complaint.)

I would get a 5K just because you can get a nicer looking cue for a cheaper price that probably plays very close to the same as the higher priced P2s. If I was to get a nice looking P2, I'd probably just get a custom cue and put a predator or ob-1 shaft on it.

I did experience the predator learning curve so to speak. I have the 314-2 shafts, and I don't really think they improve my game in comparison to my Jacoby. I just prefer the predators. Some like apples, and some like oranges. If I were to buy another custom cue it would be a jacoby. But I'd put a predator shaft on it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even though I like the predator 5K3 the best, I probably play with sneaky pete the most. I use the standard everest tip they came with. I generally just break with the sneaky pete, and as opposed to switching back and forth between cues.... its easier to just keep playing with it(since I often just go and practice alone at the local pool hall.) The everest tip seems to be able to take some abuse. But I'll eventually switch the tips to moori's... but figure i'll get my money's worth out of the everests first.