PDA

View Full Version : MIke Panozzo and Billiards Digest disgust me

edatplaypool
05-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Just read Mike Panozzo's "From the Publisher's" column in the June Billiards Digest and once again he turns my stomache in his completely biased criticism of John Lewis and the ACS. Keep in mind that Mike Panozzo has been a BCA Board Member off and on, and thus his criticism of anyone who goes against the boards wishes is particularly self serving.

First Mike has the gall to criticize John Lewis for considering starting the ACS while he was still working for the BCA. What nerve! Did Panozzo forget that it was the BCA that was making plans to sell the BCA League system to a for-profit organziation, while keeping the sale a secret from their members and league directors? Did he forget that it was the league operators, with the help of John Lewis, that built the BCA league system in the first place? Not the BCA Board. All the BCA Board accomplished was to take a temporary profit from the decades of hard work of other people while keeping it a secret from those affected. Who really deserves some criticism here?

Next Mike criticizes John Lewis and the ACS for wanting to be the International Olympic Committee organization. Claiming he has some need for power.

Lets all think back. At one time the BCA thought it was important to be part of the IOC. But they gave up that goal. Like they gave up the goal of running the All-American Tour. Like they gave up the goal of running the second largest national league system. Like they gave up the goal of teaching Juniors how to play. Like they gave up the goal of doing ANYTHING AT ALL TO PROMOTE BILLIARDS ACROSS THIS COUNTRY. Wake up! The BCA has made the decision to be nothing except a trade organization, with the only goal to help sell home recreation products. In fact they are no longer even focused on billiards as anyone can see who attends their trade shows.

And all that is fine if thats what they want. Unfortunately they will find out the hard way that when you don't promote billiards, and don't try to encourage people to learn to play, or to join leagues, or to play in tournaments, what you will find out in the end is that you will sell fewer and fewer pool tables, pool cues, and pool lights, as the years go by. But I guess that is the path they have chosen.

But it takes gall of an unmitigated and immeasurable proportion to then turn around and criticize the ONE organization that still thinks those things are important. The one organization that still thinks it is a worthwhile goal to be in the Olympics. The one organization that thinks it is important to run tournaments and leagues, not for profit but to promote the sport. The ACS is simply trying to pick up the pieces that the BCA so blithely tossed aside and continue the things that need to continue. And for that Billiards Digest ridicules and criticizes. Incredible beyond belief!

I notice that Billiards Digest seems to be getting lighter and lighter each time I pick up a new issue. Mike, maybe if you and the BCA Board of Directors weren't so short-sighted you might see that the success of the ACS is one of the few things that could help to save the sorry state of this sport in the USA, a decline which both you and the BCA Board has contributed so wholeheartedly to.

That last note from the BCA is they have decided to eliminate all their staff except for 1 person, and outsource their administrative functions. Anyone who is aware of the long history of this once venerable organization simply must be crying a silent tear at the near total demise that has now occurred.

Thank you John Lewis for everything you have done and continue to do. Shame shame shame on Mike Panozzo.

Ed

dr_dave
05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I was also shocked that Mike (the "publisher" of BD) would openly attack John in his magazine. I hope John will be given the right to publish a reply in the next issue. Obviously, there must be lots of "bad blood" and "past history" between Mike and John.

It seems like there is a lot of this sort of thing in the pool world. Lot's of good-ole-boy network and turf-fighting stuff, and not enough professional collaboration and development and openness to new ideas and approaches.

I hope Mike doesn't take offense at me (one of his instructional columnists) for expressing my view on this topic on his magazine's website. I just think he should know how readers (me included) feel about his recent column.

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote edatplaypool:</font><hr> Just read Mike Panozzo's "From the Publisher's" column in the June Billiards Digest and once again he turns my stomache in his completely biased criticism of John Lewis and the ACS. Keep in mind that Mike Panozzo has been a BCA Board Member off and on, and thus his criticism of anyone who goes against the boards wishes is particularly self serving.

First Mike has the gall to criticize John Lewis for considering starting the ACS while he was still working for the BCA. What nerve! Did Panozzo forget that it was the BCA that was making plans to sell the BCA League system to a for-profit organziation, while keeping the sale a secret from their members and league directors? Did he forget that it was the league operators, with the help of John Lewis, that built the BCA league system in the first place? Not the BCA Board. All the BCA Board accomplished was to take a temporary profit from the decades of hard work of other people while keeping it a secret from those affected. Who really deserves some criticism here?

Next Mike criticizes John Lewis and the ACS for wanting to be the International Olympic Committee organization. Claiming he has some need for power.

Lets all think back. At one time the BCA thought it was important to be part of the IOC. But they gave up that goal. Like they gave up the goal of running the All-American Tour. Like they gave up the goal of running the second largest national league system. Like they gave up the goal of teaching Juniors how to play. Like they gave up the goal of doing ANYTHING AT ALL TO PROMOTE BILLIARDS ACROSS THIS COUNTRY. Wake up! The BCA has made the decision to be nothing except a trade organization, with the only goal to help sell home recreation products. In fact they are no longer even focused on billiards as anyone can see who attends their trade shows.

And all that is fine if thats what they want. Unfortunately they will find out the hard way that when you don't promote billiards, and don't try to encourage people to learn to play, or to join leagues, or to play in tournaments, what you will find out in the end is that you will sell fewer and fewer pool tables, pool cues, and pool lights, as the years go by. But I guess that is the path they have chosen.

But it takes gall of an unmitigated and immeasurable proportion to then turn around and criticize the ONE organization that still thinks those things are important. The one organization that still thinks it is a worthwhile goal to be in the Olympics. The one organization that thinks it is important to run tournaments and leagues, not for profit but to promote the sport. The ACS is simply trying to pick up the pieces that the BCA so blithely tossed aside and continue the things that need to continue. And for that Billiards Digest ridicules and criticizes. Incredible beyond belief!

I notice that Billiards Digest seems to be getting lighter and lighter each time I pick up a new issue. Mike, maybe if you and the BCA Board of Directors weren't so short-sighted you might see that the success of the ACS is one of the few things that could help to save the sorry state of this sport in the USA, a decline which both you and the BCA Board has contributed so wholeheartedly to.

That last note from the BCA is they have decided to eliminate all their staff except for 1 person, and outsource their administrative functions. Anyone who is aware of the long history of this once venerable organization simply must be crying a silent tear at the near total demise that has now occurred.

Thank you John Lewis for everything you have done and continue to do. Shame shame shame on Mike Panozzo.

Ed <hr /></blockquote>

Harold Acosta
05-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I dont receive the BD magazine anymore. Anyone care to send me the article? A link. Maybe a scan?

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

Brian in VA
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Harold,

When I finish my copy I'll mail it to you if you'll PM me your address.

Best,
Brian in VA

pooltchr
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I am one who believes there are often two sides to every story. I do have to agree that the recent changes with the BCA have given me some cause for concern. As a BCA Instructor, I have to wonder what the future is for our instructor program. As a former employee of a large billiard supply company, I know that the shift toward home entertainment and away from billiards by the BCA has caused a lot of dissent among many BCA members. Whatever happens in the future, I hope that someone steps up and bring the billiard industry and the players together for the good of the game we all love. Whether it's the BCA or someone else, pool needs one solid organization with our sport's best interest at heart.
JMHO
Steve

Cydpkt
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I have read the "why don't you start your own league" threads enough now that it make we wonder if any "threaders" have gotten together and started a league? This would be a great place to get people who as my wife puts it have an "obsessive compulsive disorder" towards pool to create a standard set of rules and create some teams.

Deeman3
05-25-2007, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Whether it's the BCA or someone else, pool needs one solid organization with our sport's best interest at heart.
JMHO
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> If and whomever it amy be that fills these shoes, it aint the BCA. They couldn't make it as a governing body, a leader is the world of pool and even as an industrial representative. Allen Hopkins even puts on a much better show so maybe they only need one employee.

John Lewis has done more for pool recently than the BCA and has more incommon with pool players than the entire board at BCA. Maybe they should hire _________. </font color>

Deeman3
05-25-2007, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Whether it's the BCA or someone else, pool needs one solid organization with our sport's best interest at heart.
JMHO
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> If and whomever it may be that fills these shoes, it aint the BCA. They couldn't make it as a governing body, a leader is the world of pool and even as an industrial representative. Allen Hopkins even puts on a much better show so maybe they only need one employee.

John Lewis has done more for pool recently than the BCA and has more in common with pool players than the entire board at BCA. Maybe they should hire _________. </font color>

wolfdancer
05-25-2007, 08:43 AM
If nominated I will not run, if elected, I will not serve..I will however, accept a salary high enough to keep it as a non-profit org!

05-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I'd say you made some very good points regarding John Lewis' accomplishments (and the BCA's lack of them). Couldn't you have left it at that without attacking either Mike Panozzo or the magazine? GF

edatplaypool
05-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Did you read the article in Billiards Digest that I am referring to? I never would have posted anything if Mike Panozzo hadn't criticized John Lewis in an unwarranted and biased manner in Billiards Digest. That behavior is inappropriate for the publisher of a major magazine of any kind. That was why I chose to criticize Mike, and since he is the publisher, Billiards Digest too.

And if you note how I started out the post, Mike has made this a regular practice for the past several years. He has gone out of his way to ignore or criticize the ACS and John Lewis, while he has shown strong support for the new BCA for profit league and Mark Griffin. Anyone who has read Billiards Digest over the past few years can see this clearly, he has made no attempt to hide it. I strongly believe that he is so closely tied to the BCA Board, (He may have even been a member when the decision to sell the league was made) that he has chosen not to be impartial when discussing BCA issues. Since the BCA board chose to sell the league system to Mark Griffin, and they were against John Lewis leaving to form the ACS which would compete with the for-profit BCA league, he is supporting the BCA by criticizing the ACS.

The point of my post in fact was not to criticize the BCA board for selling the leagues, it was to criticize Billiards Digest (and Mike Panozzo particularly) for not reporting on Billiards in a more impartial manner.

edatplaypool
05-27-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm thinking maybe there was a better choice out there somewhere to be the BD editor. But that's just me.

05-28-2007, 09:09 AM
That would be a separate issue, as the editor (Mason King) had no say in this. Mike Panozzo is the publisher, and his column runs as is. I understand your beef over what he wrote (yes, I read it), and why you consider it to be biased. Mason has done a superb job for us over his five years, so your comment strikes me as a non-sequitur. GF

Scott Lee
05-28-2007, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote edatplaypool:</font><hr>
Since the BCA board chose to sell the league system to Mark Griffin, and they were against John Lewis leaving to form the ACS which would compete with the for-profit BCA league, he is supporting the BCA by criticizing the ACS.

The point of my post in fact was not to criticize the BCA board for selling the leagues, it was to criticize Billiards Digest (and Mike Panozzo particularly) for not reporting on Billiards in a more impartial manner. <hr /></blockquote>

Ed...While I agree with you in principle, there is no need to try to 'badmouth' Mark Griffin for his purchase of the BCA pool league (I take that from the continual references to "the FOR-profit BCA league"). Except for a select small group of people, nobody cares if the BCA league is for-profit or non-profit...as is well indicated by the turnout of MANY thousand poolplayers for the BCA Championships two weeks ago. Mark is doing a fine job. Let him be judged by his actions, and not compared to John Lewis et al at ACS. Mark has never made one peep about trying to dissuade (or threaten) players to boycott ACS. If anything, he has taken the high road, and encouraged players to play in ANY league. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the ACS crowd, including John Lewis. Again, while I agree in principle with what you said, there are many pool leagues out there...almost ALL of them make some kind of profit (part of which is nearly always shared and/or steered back to the players in some way). I hope there will always be a BCA pool league. If ACS manages to stay alive and/or grow, more power to them. There's room for everybody.

About the direction of the BCA as an organization...I have to agree with Pooltchr, and wonder what is ahead.

Scott Lee

edatplaypool
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Just because you think the phrase "for profit" is a criticism does not make it so. I do not have anything against Mark Griffin or the for profit BCA league system. My criticisms are strictly with the BCA Board of directors and how they came to that decision and the fact that they did it in secret.

Please do not make up accusations and ascribe them to me. If you think the words "for profit" are a criticism that is your problem. I very happily work for a for profit company and the USA wouldn't exist without them.

edatplaypool
05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I am not in the publishing business so I may not fully understand the relationships between editors and publishers. That is my failing.

I do understand the purpose and responsibilities of a free press. Billiards Digest is one of a very few and select sources of news and information regarding billiards across this country and in my opinion has a responsibility as such. Part of that responsibility is to report what is billiards news in an impartial manner. I believe BD has failed at that. And not because Mike chose to post a biased publishers column. I recognize he can put his opinions in that column, that is what it is for. But that column simply illustrates an overall problem with the BD magazine.

There were those at BD who were aware that the BCA Board was planning on selling the league system and chose not to report on it. As such the affected parties, nearly all of whom were BCA members at that time, could not voice their opinions to their BCA board and have their opinion counted. That is a failing.

Billiards Digest throughout the past several years has either criticized or ignored the ACS and strongly favored the new BCA league. Throughout that time while the real BCA has turned itself into a trade organization, BD has not shed any light on what was happening to what was once one of the most important institutions in this game.

As a result the ACS has had a more difficult time trying to simply get established than they should have, and if they ultimately fail, league players will have one less choice and BD will have contributed to that. At the same time the BCA has had an easier time abandoning their ideals than they should have. BD contributed to that also.

Is that the editors fault or the publishers fault? That's not my area of expertise so I will leave that to others. I will simply state I believe it is the fault of Billiards Digest.

wolfdancer
05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe they should hire _________. DeeMan
I'm not sure they could afford a Deeman...look what happened to GM. And,I understand he's now gone "native" in his new adopted home state....doubt they could entice him to move.

wolfdancer
05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
In defense of Scott, I also thought you were critizing the
"new" BCA as a for profit league.
Shortly after the sale, I read both Mark's and John's version of what transpired..I choose to believe in Mark's.
Mike expressed his opinions in an editorial column, and BD is a pretty fair publication ...I'm sure they'll print any opposing opinions.
With their present subscription rate, Vs the number of league players...the fortune of the ACS won't be affected by anything written here.
There are many players that share your thoughts...the ex regional BCA director, out here...now has the same role in the ACS. I played last season in an ACS league, and played in the regional tournament as well.
It was about half the size of the preceding week's regional BCA event...and if I play league again...it will be in the BCA. Also just attended the LV BCA event....and can't envision the ACS growing to that size. Since the matter has been brought up...Whether the parent org. is run for profit, or has so many salaried board members, that they can run with deficit financing, is of no importance to me....it's which league is better administered, responds better to it's membership,and offer's a bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....

edatplaypool
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
To be honest I have a hard time understanding how people would think I was criticizing Mark Griffin or the new BCA league. I 'thought' my original posting was quite clear that I was criticizing both BD and the BCA board. If I wanted to criticize Mark I would have been equally direct about it. Funnny how people can focus on two little words, and then try to infer some meaning that wasn't intended, particularly in a message as unsubtle as the one I wrote.

Rich R.
05-28-2007, 07:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote edatplaypool:</font><hr> I do understand the purpose and responsibilities of a free press. Billiards Digest is one of a very few and select sources of news and information regarding billiards across this country and in my opinion has a responsibility as such. Part of that responsibility is to report what is billiards news in an impartial manner. I believe BD has failed at that.
<font color="red"> I have to disagree with your knowledge of the "free press".
Although in theory, it would be nice if all publications reported on all issues, with a totally unbiased point of view, in reality, that just doesn't happen. I believe every publication in this country, both newspapers and magazines, publish news from the point of view of their choice. TV and radio news reports do the same. Whether you want to believe it or not, there is no such thing as a totally unbiased news publication. </font color>

As a result the ACS has had a more difficult time trying to simply get established than they should have, and if they ultimately fail, league players will have one less choice and BD will have contributed to that. At the same time the BCA has had an easier time abandoning their ideals than they should have. BD contributed to that also.

Is that the editors fault or the publishers fault? That's not my area of expertise so I will leave that to others. I will simply state I believe it is the fault of Billiards Digest.
<font color="red"> There are many factors that could have contributed to the ACS troubles getting established. Starting any new organization or business is not easy. The blame for any failures falls with their own short comings and not with publications with unfavorable reports. For example, there is no ACS presence in my area whatsoever, to the best of my knowledge. Is that the fault of BD or any other publication? I don't think so. If The ACS doesn't want to fail, they should be looking inside their own house. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

edatplaypool
05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I never even suggested that all publications should report on all issues. The rest of your response is equally nonsensical so I won't bother further exposing your ignorance. Have a nice day.

Rich R.
05-29-2007, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote edatplaypool:</font><hr> I never even suggested that all publications should report on all issues. The rest of your response is equally nonsensical so I won't bother further exposing your ignorance. Have a nice day. <hr /></blockquote>
If you believe that any publication reports totally without any bias, you are the ignorant one. Of course, you wouldn't complain about those reporting with a bias similar to your own, however, because BD is reporting with a view different from yours, you accuse them of being biased. Take your head out of the sand. If the ACS fails, it is their own fault, not the fault of BD or any other publication.

New2Pool
05-29-2007, 07:03 AM
And bets on how long until Godwin's Law is applicable to this thread?

Deeman3
05-29-2007, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Maybe they should hire _________. DeeMan
I'm not sure they could afford a Deeman...look what happened to GM. And,I understand he's now gone "native" in his new adopted home state....doubt they could entice him to move.
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">In my own defense, I warned GM what would happen if I left! I was right! Look at my present success! On the other job suggestion, I would only leave Alabama to A) Improve the lot of all pool players, which they don't want or B) To start a minor war with a country too small to defend itself....

If pushed, I'll publish my "New Rules" for pool in honor of that funny liberal Jon Stewart. Thereby ruining my popularity with the pool voting public.

By the way, if I was publisher of BD, you'd really have something to write in and complain about! You all know that's true...</font color>

wolfdancer
05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
To start a minor war with a country too small to defend itself....
That is what I had suggested to GWB...Grenada would have been the perfect country to invade.

SpiderMan
05-29-2007, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote edatplaypool:</font><hr>
Since the BCA board chose to sell the league system to Mark Griffin, and they were against John Lewis leaving to form the ACS which would compete with the for-profit BCA league, he is supporting the BCA by criticizing the ACS.

The point of my post in fact was not to criticize the BCA board for selling the leagues, it was to criticize Billiards Digest (and Mike Panozzo particularly) for not reporting on Billiards in a more impartial manner. <hr /></blockquote>

Ed...While I agree with you in principle, there is no need to try to 'badmouth' Mark Griffin for his purchase of the BCA pool league (I take that from the continual references to "the FOR-profit BCA league"). Except for a select small group of people, nobody cares if the BCA league is for-profit or non-profit...as is well indicated by the turnout of MANY thousand poolplayers for the BCA Championships two weeks ago. Mark is doing a fine job. Let him be judged by his actions, and not compared to John Lewis et al at ACS. Mark has never made one peep about trying to dissuade (or threaten) players to boycott ACS. If anything, he has taken the high road, and encouraged players to play in ANY league. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the ACS crowd, including John Lewis. Again, while I agree in principle with what you said, there are many pool leagues out there...almost ALL of them make some kind of profit (part of which is nearly always shared and/or steered back to the players in some way). I hope there will always be a BCA pool league. If ACS manages to stay alive and/or grow, more power to them. There's room for everybody.

About the direction of the BCA as an organization...I have to agree with Pooltchr, and wonder what is ahead.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Scott,

It didn't sound to me as if Mark Griffin is being "badmouthed". Unless he was in on some of the "behind the scenes" secret planning by BCA to sell off the leagues (which, it could be argued, they didn't "own"), I don't suppose he can be faulted for buying.

SpiderMan

New2Pool
05-29-2007, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> To start a minor war with a country too small to defend itself....
That is what I had suggested to GWB...Grenada would have been the perfect country to invade. <hr /></blockquote>

We have already been there done that with Grenada. How about Palau or Nauru instead next time?

Deeman3
05-29-2007, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> To start a minor war with a country too small to defend itself....
That is what I had suggested to GWB...Grenada would have been the perfect country to invade. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Grenada, been there done that!

Aa far as the whole BCA discussion is concerned, I don't want to disparage Mark and the BCA League. I think they have done a pretty good job, as far as I can see and I am always for private enterprise to be "for profit" rather than a governing body who has basically no one to answer to. Given all i know, I'd pick BCA over APA anytime. It just appears the rewards for better players are more consistent in BCA where it seems, at least to me, that you would pray to be a 2 or 3 in APA, that that may be your best chance of both winning and staying with a successful team. I may wrong. </font color>

Brian in VA
05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
FWIW I run an 8 ball league that I took over about 3 years after the BCA split and the forming of the ACS. Our league operator at the time made the decision to stick with the ACS for reasons only he can speak to. In any case, the league has remained ACS sanctioned and earlier this year, the players in the league asked if we could rejoin the BCA. Their reasons had to do with the size of the National Tournament. Several had gone to the ACS nationals the year before and been disturbed by the small size of the event. I offered to the players and applied for dual sanctioning so that we would be able to do two things. First, remain with a non-profit entity that is working to get our sport included into the Olympics. Second, have a chance to go to a national tournament that is among the best and play in 2 national events if the urge struck.

Both sanctioning bodies were fine with our arrangement (I'm guessing $10 per player to each helped with that!) There still appears to be some bad blood out there (take a look at both web sites and tell me differently) although I haven't had the chance to speak with the principals in person to confirm that. I'm attending the ACS Nationals in a few weeks and I'll let you know what I find.

I will tell you that our league has remained strong and the most competitive in the Central Va area. I have one team that drives from Tappahanock, about 75 miles away, to compete in it.

I don't think any of this would have been different if, when the split occurred, we'd gone with the BCA. While national organizations have a lot to do with the success of national events, it's the local league operators that make any weekly league work.

So, is John Lewis wrong for doing what he did? Maybe, I haven't studied the exact occurrence so I haven't formed an opinion. I can tell you that whatever he did, it was done with the best intentions of our game in mind; that's the kind of guy he seems to be. Was Mike Panozzo wrong to criticize Lewis and the ACS? Maybe but part of being a publisher means you get a bully pulpit in whatever arena you cover and also get to state your opinion from it. I applaud him for stating his opinion even if I don't agree. Is Mark Griffin a money grubbing pox on our sport? Nope, he's a business man who thought buying and running the BCA League system, even at a break even point, would help him sell more pool tables. I also think he thought he could help our game. For that, I thank him.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian in VA

Tom_In_Cincy
05-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, I finally got my June issue and read the article by Mike Panozzo, and I have to make a comment.

I don't see what the fuss is all about, but then, I am not wise to the industry of league systems and the Olympics that I am sure Ed M is.

I wonder if ED was a BCA League operator that made the switch to ACS a few years back?

The Olympic addition of pool/billiard or Snooker is very remote, in fact, the Olympics is dropping some sports (including baseball) from the list of events in the summer games.

World Pool Association is just another org that is under the direction of the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (www.billiard-wcbs.org) you might want to check the Organization tab to see exactly where the ACS would fall if it were recognized. Very low.

The ACS cannot even come close to representing the USA in the pool industry. The BCA with 60,000 member is almost twice as large, and the APA has 250,000 members. Who's kidding who here? Does John Lewis really think the ACS has any chance with these types of numbers? Are the ACS members that naive?

Who are the player reps on the ACS board? are they pros? To gain acceptance for the IOC you have to be Non-profit, be the recognized ruling body... (like ACS has a chance) have players on your board (at least 10%) hold National tournaments that anyone can enter (non-ACS members... yeah right.. there's a new twist) wonder when John was going to drop that bomb... for $10 Johnny Archer will represent the USA in the World Games by winning the ACS National... whoa, there goes the amature standings? or is Johnny not allowed to entery the ACS national tournament because he's a PRO? Wonder what John will rule on that?

The ACS is nothing more than a fledgling league system that is using the not-for-profit and Olympics dream as a sales pitch to members. It is full of disgruntled league operators that tell their members which league they will be affiliated with and how much they owe for that privilege.

Ed, you painted a really bad picture of Mike's editorial but John and you are not doing anything to promote pool, it is all about promoting the ACS.

Good luck to the ACS.. it will need it.

wolfdancer
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I meant Camp Granada.....something that fit the limits of George's Military leadership
"Hello muddah, hello faddah
Here I am at Camp Granada
Camp is very entertaining
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining."

MrLucky
05-30-2007, 04:51 AM

<font color="green">LMAO!! you are behind the times, if serious&lt; we have been there and done that ! otherwise GW would have hit them already ! oh wait ! they have no oil </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman3
05-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Brian,

Well said. There are many opinions out there and, in the end, as long as the local league operateswell, it doesn't really matter. Pool will not be an olympic sport and who really cares if it is? We have more than enough trouble getting enough to show up for a $1000 added open event. I say leave the olympics for the real sports like curling and ribbon dancing....

wolfdancer
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I say leave the olympics for the real sports like curling and ribbon dancing....
I enjoyed watching the Olympic Curling event...so much, that I made some inquiries about local curling clubs...but haven't followed through on that.
Ribbon dancing however looked a little beyond a 230 lb, senior citizen....(now hitting the scales just under 200,,,thanks to being inspired by the Deeman's own weight loss)
I doubt also, that pool will ever make the olympics, even with the "no-profit" ACS championing it's cause.
I'll stick with the BCA.