PDA

View Full Version : How good are you guys?

bluewolf
07-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I am sort of a beginner. I am rated 2 in APA because I havent played in enough matches to get a higher rank, and they put me up to higher ranked players. I figured I wan't expected to beat them, so practiced safety shots.

I have a good stroke, good eye movements and am pretty good on long shots and rail shots.

I want to learn to break better cuz my balls separate but do not go in. I also want to learn how to do bank shots.

I do not use the ghost ball theory. I was already doing that same thing when my husband told me what it was. At first it did not make sense but then I realized that what I was already doing was the same thing he was talking about.

I guess I am mostly right brained. I do what feels right and dont worry about how tight to hold my stick and dont look at a point on a ball.

Even though I am sort of a beginner, I really like the game.IMO it challenges both sides of my brain and being right brained helps me to develop the left side also.

Bluewolf

07-24-2002, 09:55 AM
ummmm what was it you wanted to know?

07-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Bluewolf, it sounds like you have a good bit of natural pool talent. It is my opinion that most gifted and natural pool players never had to utilize the ghost ball aiming system for very long - even as beginners. That system is a good starting point to demonstrate the aiming concept to a beginner who has no clue of how to aim, but it is best to not use it as a crutch as you advance in the game.

Most top players would likely have a tough time verbalizing to a beginner how they go about aiming - it just comes natural and they do it by feel and experience. Generally, I'd say very few high level players look at a specific point on the object ball.

The fact that you mention eye movements in your thread indicates that you're very aware of the importance of having a consistent eye movement pattern back and forth from the CB to OB during the pre-shot routine leading up to the actual stroke. As for your inability to pocket balls on the break even though you're breaking hard and spreading them out well indicates that maybe you need to experiment with adjusting your CB starting position and/or your velocity. This is assuming you already have good velocity in your break stroke (at least 16-18 mph) which is usually a direct result of good stroke fundamentals. Sometimes breaking as hard as possible (with control of the CB of course) does not always yield the best results - as Scott Lee will attest.

As far as your fundamentals and technique, what feels right to you may not necessarily be the best for your continued improvement in the game - and you should have them checked out. While you're still developing as a fairly new player, the importance of practicing good solid fundamentals in terms of stance, alignment, pre-shot routine and stroke cannot be stressed highly enough. Certainly individual variation is allowed to an extent, but you should seek out a credible and proven instructor to help you with this - if you are serious about achieving your maximum potential in the game.

Many men (regardless of their experience or skill level) love to offer advice to a female player, so be careful who you listen to. This free advice will often serve just confuse you more. Seek out a qualified and reputable coach/instructor (who is usually also a very good player) and place your trust in them. Good luck! - Chris in NC

bluewolf
07-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Chris,

There are many good suggestions here. THirty years ago when I was just a kid, someone who wasnt super intelligent showed me some things like banking and combinations and english the simple way. Back then i went into bars and could beat a lot of the guys. Not that bar players are all that great!

When I picked up a stick again 30 years later, I was very frustrated because I couldnt do those things or remember how I did them then. My husband who is a good player taught me the correct stroke and eye movements since I was doing those backwards. Much of the rest I have had to learn by watching or having one of those 'ah hah' moments.

For instance, I used to be able to bank pretty well, not perfect but about 50%. When I started playing again and my husband and others showed be about the diamond, and drew all these lines to show how to bank.

I knew that wasnt it. It was something simple. It had to be difficult. I felt that they were all making it too complicated. So I have not done much banking because I had not figured out the concept yet.

Today I had one of ahhah experiences. My husband was doing one of these complicated drawings, and I looked and saw an equilateral triangle with the variables being speed and degree of english placed on the cue ball. I dont know if this is it, but will be trying this out tonight. And if this isnt it, I will get another idea and try it out.

My husband says my brain is ahead of my body. I guess that is right.

Laura

bluewolf
07-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Weeeelll... Since this is a billiard's forum, that seems to be a rhetorical question.

Actually, I was curious as to whether most people here are really advanced in billiards or whether some are like me, kind of a beginner.

Bluewolf

Lester
07-24-2002, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> Weeeelll... Since this is a billiard's forum, that seems to be a rhetorical question.

Actually, I was curious as to whether most people here are really advanced in billiards or whether some are like me, kind of a beginner.

Bluewolf <hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Bluewolf, ability on the CCB runs the proverbial gamut &lt;sp&gt; One thing we all share is a devotion to the sport. No question asked here about pocket billiards will be ignored. You might get 30 different methods, or opinions but you won't be sorry you asked. ****Lester****

Wally_in_Cincy
07-24-2002, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> Weeeelll... Since this is a billiard's forum, that seems to be a rhetorical question.

Bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

As Lester said it runs the gamut. There are at least a couple of pros here. There are several that probably could be pros if they could quit their jobs and pursue it full time. At least half the people here would be ranked as APA 6 or 7 (or 11 if it went that high /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif).

There are a few intermediate players like me (APA 5).

Beginners are quite welcome. If you have a passion for the game you won't be a beginner for long.

Good Luck,

stickman
07-24-2002, 04:50 PM
How good am I? I'm good. In fact I'm dang good! Just ask me and I'll tell you. Just don't ask me to show you. LOL

stickman~~~~~~been reading about the power of positive thinking. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris' advice was very good. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Oh, and I bounce between a 4 &amp; 5 APA.

Alfie
07-24-2002, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> I am sort of a beginner. <hr></blockquote> I am a beginner, too.

07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
spoken like a true beginner wally

07-24-2002, 05:30 PM
on the contrary I am often sorry when I ask for advice here

07-24-2002, 05:33 PM
it's funny you should ask that question, I've been really Struggling with how I view my game lately. I have always tried to look at it objectively,meaning, I'm not playing bad and I'm not Playing good. I am simply playing pool. However the last few weeks i've been beating myself up real bad. I went down to georgia for the wpba am. nationals and went two and out The absolute worst tournement finish for me since i started traveling. However, i had the most wagered on this event, not meaning money invested, but self expectations and the expectations of others. That witch i was afraid of i attract and it became my reality.
I don't really know how to directly answer you question, it is all relative. i may play 2 balls better than some and 6 balls worse than others.

Rod
07-24-2002, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Alfie:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bluewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I am sort of a beginner. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; I am a beginner, too. <hr></blockquote>

I'm "begining" to think there is a little bs on this board. lol

Karatemom
07-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi bluewolf. I too, would be considered a beginner, although I did start shooting over 10 years ago, I had to take a 10 year layoff.

I am rated a 3 at our local handicap tourneys here, which is just about right. However, I have been practicing different things so often, that I can see my game picking up. Not to say I'm a 4 or 5, but getting very close to moving up.

I play around with different englishes just to get the feel of where things are going. I have a friend who has written a book, Black Belt Billiards. He gave me one drill out of there to do for my banks, and it helped tremendously.

I analyze everything, or at least did. I'm starting to just "feel" it instead of thinking about it. I couldn't believe the difference.

There is one thing I've learned about the break. It doesn't have a whole lot to do with your size. I'm only 95 lbs, but I can sink a couple of balls almost every time on the break. It's all about timing.

I am far from the most knowledgeable on this board, this is just how I see things and how I play. There are many other wonderful and talented people here who could elaborate and explain things much better.

Heide ~ low on the totem pole, but starting to gain ground

Ralph S.
07-24-2002, 06:11 PM
Trying to determine how good ones self is, is not easy to judge in my opinion. If I had to say, I suppose I get by LOL. On a more serious note, practice, time and determination will definitely help you accel. Best of luck to you.
Ralph S.

07-24-2002, 06:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> on the contrary I am often sorry when I ask for advice here <hr></blockquote>
(Giggle) When did you do that? I must have missed that one!
(Lorri knows d0wnt0wn can recognize a joke when he sees one)

griffith_d
07-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Skill level is only relative,...sometimes only to the people you play. I guess you could take the QC (Quality Control) Test, according to someone's invented test of the number of balls made in a certain number of games played in a certain number of nanoseconds. Sometimes skill level is all in one's head, until told otherwise.

There are a lot of ways to make/shoot/aim at balls and, of course, breaking them,...but what matters most is if you like the game and have fun doing it. When learning, there will be those who make fun of how bad you are. Others will be in awe of you when you get better.

Keep at it and focus on the skill level you want to attain and go get it,...let no one in your way.

Griff

rackmup
07-24-2002, 08:15 PM
How good am I? Hmmm...

Well, I hate to brag but I can make nine balls in a row (while letting my opponent make some of them between my shots.) Wait...I guess that isn't nine in a row, is it?

I guess I'm not really good at all, now that I think about it.

Regards,

Ken (has made two in a row without missing but one was the cue ball.)

Rod
07-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Well you know what I say, well maybe you don't. If you make two balls each time you only have to shoot half as much. Cue ball is not part of the program. lol

Wally_in_Cincy
07-25-2002, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> spoken like a true beginner wally <hr></blockquote>

I do not understand your point.

Is being a beginner something to be ashamed of?

The longest journey begins with the first step.

SPetty
07-25-2002, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> I have a friend who has written a book, Black Belt Billiards. He gave me one drill out of there to do for my banks, and it helped tremendously.<hr></blockquote>Hi Karatemom,

Please tell me more about this book. This sounds like the kind of book you would write! How do you know the author? I couldn't find it on Amazon.com...

Karatemom
07-25-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi Susan. It's not out in stores yet, it is just being printed. Steve, who happens to post here, wrote it. He's a nice guy. Chris has known him a long time. From what I've seen of this book so far, it breaks things down to lamens terms. He shoots up at the local ph and obviously, has a black belt, so he is pretty knowledgeable about the mental side of the game.

Heide ~ gets first dibs

07-25-2002, 04:14 PM
d0wnt0wn,you've done nothing but complain yet you're still here. What's up with that? If you don't like it, LEAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> Hi bluewolf. I too, would be considered a beginner, although I did start shooting over 10 years ago, I had to take a 10 year layoff.

I am rated a 3 at our local handicap tourneys here, which is just about right. However, I have been practicing different things so often, that I can see my game picking up. Not to say I'm a 4 or 5, but getting very close to moving up.

I play around with different englishes just to get the feel of where things are going. I have a friend who has written a book, Black Belt Billiards. He gave me one drill out of there to do for my banks, and it helped tremendously.

I analyze everything, or at least did. I'm starting to just "feel" it instead of thinking about it. I couldn't believe the difference.

There is one thing I've learned about the break. It doesn't have a whole lot to do with your size. I'm only 95 lbs, but I can sink a couple of balls almost every time on the break. It's all about timing.

I am far from the most knowledgeable on this board, this is just how I see things and how I play. There are many other wonderful and talented people here who could elaborate and explain things much better.

Heide ~ low on the totem pole, but starting to gain ground <hr></blockquote>

it would be hard to say what level i am.the apa has me listed as a 2 because fate often put against the 5's. i only played another two a couple of times and beat them.

when i am shooting pretty good, i shoot like a four. but then i am constantly trying out new things, refining my stroke, stance, eye movements, learning when to use various englishes,learning lots about safety's, on the break i can tell when to choose high or low and i do not scratch on the 8 ball. that is what english is for.

i am not playing apa for awhile. when i consider myself a very good consistent player, i will get back on.what level? your guess is as good as mine.

Bluewolf

bluewolf
07-26-2002, 06:57 AM
btw, i found out what was wrong with my break. i was using a slight bottom english instead of a center on the cue ball. i also was shooting from the side and aiming at the one and the two ball. once i broke with center on the cb and shot dead on the one ball, my break improved dramatically.

btw, i am interested in this karate billiards book.i took karate for many years which made pool easier.i am wondering how this book relates karate to billiards. sounds like a good read.

bluewolf