PDA

View Full Version : Cue ball question

dave
05-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Is the Aramith measle ball lighter than a red circle? I'm over rolling the ball pretty consistently. It's probably just me, or the fact that it's the only clean ball on my table.

bradb
05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Dave it depends what set you have. I have the Aramith Premium set with a red dotted ball I bought separate. I believe that ball is the same wieght as the Pro set which is slightly heavier. -Brad

Deeman3
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I've3 played with the spotted Aramith and can't tell a weight difference. The one ball that really seems to be weighted wrong is that practice ball that Jim Rempe sells. It just does not behave like a normal quality ball. It takes funny angles and rolls short. The spotted ball seems to do just fine for me although i normally play with a set of centenials and can't see a difference.

SpiderMan
05-25-2007, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> Is the Aramith measle ball lighter than a red circle? I'm over rolling the ball pretty consistently. It's probably just me, or the fact that it's the only clean ball on my table. <hr /></blockquote>

Chopstick and I weighed both last year on a digital scale, and the measle ball was heavier than the red circle. The difference was small, only about 1/8 ounce, which was the limit of resolution on the scale.

SpiderMan

dave
05-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Thank you all.

Rich R.
05-25-2007, 07:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> Is the Aramith measle ball lighter than a red circle? I'm over rolling the ball pretty consistently. It's probably just me, or the fact that it's the only clean ball on my table. <hr /></blockquote>
I highly recommend you clean all of the balls. They do play different when clean.

BigRigTom
05-26-2007, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> Is the Aramith measle ball lighter than a red circle? I'm over rolling the ball pretty consistently. It's probably just me, or the fact that it's the only clean ball on my table. <hr /></blockquote>
I highly recommend you clean all of the balls. They do play different when clean.
<hr /></blockquote>

This is good advise. I got one of those Star Ball Cleaning Machines (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/poolandbilba.html) for Xmas and since then I keep the balls nice and clean and shiny....it makes a gigantic difference.
You should also clean the table regularly. The dust and chalk can severely reduce the speed of the table. I know this from experience as well.