PDA

View Full Version : These guys are good!

bradb
05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Watching Corey put on that display in the other thread serves to remind me once again how much better the top players are over the rest of us ball bangers. To say you're going to do something like that... then do it with everybody watching shows the kind of talent one can only be born with.

There is a 12 year old boy here in Vancouver who consistently beats good adult players. He's never had instruction, he just knows the game the same way Van Clyburn knew to play Mozart at 8 years old.

I won't mention his name because his mother would rather see him pursue other interests.

I've played him a few times and I had a sense he was just barely beating me because he wanted to practise and but could'nt afford to pay table. My suspicions were confirmed when one day some wise ass took him on. Suddenly the kid elevated his game to a level most of us can only dream about. After the guy was down without ever having a shot, the kid deliberately missed then taunted the guy to run out! The poor guy was destroyed and the rest of us knew that we were in the presence of genius.

The kid is 14 now and soon will be showing up in the Canadian pool scene. Only his own inner self will decide if he becomes another Alex Pagulayan. There have been a lot of prodigies who never reached their potential because they lost their confidence once they found themselves facing equal talent.

I've watched Corey lose in matches where he looked a little scared. We amateurs can play in matches and get a little nervous but win or lose we can go back to our regular jobs. These guys are expected to play well, and if they don't... what then? pool is their whole life.

Thats pressure.

-Brad

Rich R.
05-26-2007, 09:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>The kid is 14 now and soon will be showing up in the Canadian pool scene. Only his own inner self will decide if he becomes another Alex Pagulayan. There have been a lot of prodigies who never reached their potential because they lost their confidence once they found themselves facing equal talent. <hr /></blockquote>
There are other reasons why some of the young prodigies don't reach their potential. Some are smart enough to pursue better lines of employment.
I know a teenage player in Virginia, who plays at a very high, possibly professional, level. However, pool is not his top priority. He will not miss any school in favor of pool tournaments and he has definite plans to attend college and go on to a professional career. He is a straight A student. Not long ago, I was told that he didn't attend a big pool tournament because he wanted to attend a school dance.
I'm sure some will say this kid is wasting his talent, but I say he has his head screwed on straight and he has priorities other than pool. I'm sure there are others like him. At least, I hope there are. Too many kids are willing to quit school in favor of playing pool.

trob
05-27-2007, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>The kid is 14 now and soon will be showing up in the Canadian pool scene. Only his own inner self will decide if he becomes another Alex Pagulayan. There have been a lot of prodigies who never reached their potential because they lost their confidence once they found themselves facing equal talent. <hr /></blockquote>
There are other reasons why some of the young prodigies don't reach their potential. Some are smart enough to pursue better lines of employment.
I know a teenage player in Virginia, who plays at a very high, possibly professional, level. However, pool is not his top priority. He will not miss any school in favor of pool tournaments and he has definite plans to attend college and go on to a professional career. He is a straight A student. Not long ago, I was told that he didn't attend a big pool tournament because he wanted to attend a school dance.
I'm sure some will say this kid is wasting his talent, but I say he has his head screwed on straight and he has priorities other than pool. I'm sure there are others like him. At least, I hope there are. Too many kids are willing to quit school in favor of playing pool. <hr /></blockquote>

The simple fact is there is't enough money in pool to give up your life for it. I love the game but if your a straight A student and you choose a life of pool over going to college then I feel sorry for you. I hope I get to see the day when pool is at the level of say golf..where even the bottom players on tour are makeing a hell of a liveing. then it will be worth while. Until then if you options play for the love of the game....not to pay the bills.

bradb
05-27-2007, 09:17 AM
[/quoteQuote Rich-
I'm sure some will say this kid is wasting his talent, but I say he has his head screwed on straight and he has priorities other than pool. I'm sure there are others like him. At least, I hope there are. Too many kids are willing to quit school in favor of playing pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Quote- The simple fact is there is't enough money in pool to give up your life for it. I love the game but if your a straight A student and you choose a life of pool over going to college then I feel sorry for you. I hope I get to see the day when pool is at the level of say golf..where even the bottom players on tour are makeing a hell of a liveing. then it will be worth while. Until then if you options play for the love of the game....not to pay the bills. <hr /></blockquote>

I was commenting in general about the ability of prodigies to reach thier potential. The decision for anyone to pursue playing this game is only something they can answer. If a player has any academic skills or anything else for that matter, pool should be a hobby. Yes, it can be dead end for all but the top players. This boys mother knows this but she also knows he is hooked and all she can do is try and steer him the best she can.

I wonder though... is it wise for us to put forth advice to would be players to stay out of pool?... where does that leave the future of billiards? This game we all love so much would die without new players coming on stream.

So its a catch 22, eh!

trob
05-27-2007, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> [/quoteQuote Rich-

Quote- The simple fact is there is't enough money in pool to give up your life for it. I love the game but if your a straight A student and you choose a life of pool over going to college then I feel sorry for you. I hope I get to see the day when pool is at the level of say golf..where even the bottom players on tour are makeing a hell of a liveing. then it will be worth while. Until then if you options play for the love of the game....not to pay the bills. <hr /></blockquote>

I was commenting in general about the ability of prodigies to reach thier potential. The decision for anyone to pursue playing this game is only something they can answer. If a player has any academic skills or anything else for that matter, pool should be a hobby. Yes, it can be dead end for all but the top players. This boys mother knows this but she also knows he is hooked and all she can do is try and steer him the best she can.

I wonder though... is it wise for us to put forth advice to would be players to stay out of pool?... where does that leave the future of billiards? This game we all love so much would die without new players coming on stream.

So its a catch 22, eh!

<hr /></blockquote>

I hear what your saying but I wouldn't be that selfish to want a kid to chase after a game with no real payout in the end because I want to further the game of pool.

bradb
05-27-2007, 08:40 PM
<hr /></blockquote> I hear what your saying but I wouldn't be that selfish to want a kid to chase after a game with no real payout in the end because I want to further the game of pool. <hr /></blockquote>

To put it into perspective anything we say or do here will have no effect on a kid who's got his mind set to play pool, and I certainly would not condone glorifying to a youngster either. But I do feel a bit of guilt. Part of me would like to see that kid become a world class player, but if it was my own son I would do everything in my power to keep him out of it.