PDA

View Full Version : Phillipine Cues

tpredes
05-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I was reading a post somewhere in this forum about Phillipine cues. I recently purchased a cue from Jenor Urate of Manila. He and his nephew Steve Urate are cue makers. I don't know just how long they have been in business, however, I was absolutely astounded by the cue I got from them. I was looking to have a custom cue made, by a well-known craftsman, and he wanted a photo describing exactly what I wanted. While scanning hundreds of cues, I decided to look in E-BAY. Quite by accident, I fell upon a Phillipine cue. It had loads of Amboyna inlaid in Ebony, a black leather handle, and two hard rock maple shafts. Long story short, I paid $100 for the cue, $40 for shipping, and $9.95 for the money transfer thru Zoom. (Zoom is an international sister to Pay-Pal-so don't be afraid to use it, they're great!) I won the auction on the 1st of May, paid for it on the 2nd of May, the monies were hand delivered to the seller on the 4th of May, and I was playing with the cue on the 10th of May. The wood in this cue is beautiful! deep, rich burls which really stand out amidst deep, black ebony. Anyone who might have a doubt about Phillipine cues should at least try "RONEJ CUES" (Jenor spelled backwards)once. I have paid twice this amount for a custom shaft, and not been half as happy as I am with this cue. It has a solid hit with no vibration. His nephew Steve also makes cues under the name of Avhante Cues. His work is beautiful. My opinion
only, hope you will try.
tp

BillPorter
05-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Here is one currently on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/EBONY-AMBOYNA-BURL-POINTS-LESS-IVORY-CUSTOM-CUE_W0QQitemZ260122547826QQihZ016QQcategoryZ21212Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tpredes
05-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey guys! I misposted on my original post, "Philippine Cues". STEVE Urate puts out "VHANTE CUES", not "AVHANTE".
By the way, thanks for the return, Bill. They really do put out some great work.
tp

keysdiver69
01-31-2008, 02:02 AM
i'll tell you what. i purchased one of jenor's cues a year ago. i love it. i use to use meucci cues until i tried his. he is an honest man and has great talent. i actually just purchased one he's in the middle of making and i am bidding on 2 more. these cues i will have for ever. great job jenor...........keys /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heretic
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
I had been considering buying one of these, so was glad to see this. I hate to admit this, but I was really considering one just as a cheap stick for my daughter. She has a birthday in May, and I think I will get one for her (then maybe another for myself if I really like hers)

okinawa77
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a 60" cue that is a replica of one of Efren Reyes' earlier playing cues. It was made by Jake Santos. It was real cheap for the quality of cue.

keysdiver69
02-02-2008, 01:34 AM
i just bought all 3 he had on ebay. google jenor urate and you will read all about him and his nephew. right now there rated #2 as far as quality cues out of the philippines. i now have 4 of his finest and one of his first.....and believe me, the two i have hit real smooth. i brought it to a frind of mine who has been making cues for 25 years now and said its one of the best butt splice job he has seen in some time. great cue for the $$$$$$ and also a great guy to deal with. design it, and he will build it.