PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman’s newest satisfied customer!

SPetty
07-24-2002, 03:06 PM
When I met Spiderman in Vegas, we made tentative plans to exchange use of a video for tip installation.

When we met this past weekend, I handed him the video and my prized Predator shaft. Two days later, I got back my prized Predator shaft with a brand new Talisman Pro soft tip installed, and a cool maroon pad too.

Spidey was so proud of the job he had done that he let me borrow his “eye loop” magnifying thing to look at it! It was great-looking without the loop; it was totally awesome-looking with the loop.

I finally had the chance to shoot for a few hours last night, and so far, I definitely prefer this Talisman soft over the Talisman medium that I had on it before. Shortly after I installed the Talisman medium, I miscued horribly while executing a simple ball-in-hand draw shot. The cue ball actually jumped over the ball I was shooting and landed right in the pocket. Wow. That had never happened before. My confidence went to heck. I actually had virtually the same miscue two other times before I finally resigned myself to the fact that in order to do a draw shot, I had to choose another way to shoot it. I lost all confidence, but got real good at stop shots and learned to use follow more.

(Side Note: Yes, I know that people will say the miscue is due to poor execution of the shot, but jeez, I’d been very successfully drawing for a long time before and had never had that happen!)

Anyway, I actually tried to get the same miscue last night and couldn’t. Now maybe after the tip gets worn in a little bit I’ll have more miscuing success, but right now, I really like it a lot better. I’m not getting the same action (yet) that I did with the default LePro tip that came with the shaft, but I’m hoping that after I get my confidence back, I’ll be back to playing better than ever.

Thanks Spiderman! You’re my favorite superhero!

07-24-2002, 03:40 PM
If there was a scale to measure cue tip install perfection on, Spiderman would have to be the benchmark to strive for,,,I know the eye loop, but even better is under a lab microscope ;-)

I understand that the medium was flapping loose with only a partial bond of adhesive. Reckon that might have has a little to do with the miscue???sid

stickman
07-24-2002, 04:41 PM
When I was getting instruction from Scott Lee, he was showing me how low I could strike the cueball on a draw shot. I told him I had never been able to strike that low. It looked like he was aiming for the crevice of the ball and the cloth. He could draw the ball very well that way. Every time I tried, I hopped the ball. I have seen shooters draw this way many times, but was never able to aim that low myself. I think maybe I finally figured out why. I use a dime radius, where most use the nickel. Because of the smaller radius, you can't strike the ball as low, without hopping it.

Spiderman, where did you get the tape? My tips are okay, but you wouldn't want to use a magnifing glass on them. LOL

Rod
07-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Quote SPetty, Anyway, I actually tried to get the same miscue last night and couldn’t. Now maybe after the tip gets worn in a little bit I’ll have more miscuing success, but right now, I really like it a lot better. I’m not getting the same action (yet) that I did with the default LePro tip that came with the shaft, but I’m hoping that after I get my confidence back, I’ll be back to playing better than ever."

SPetty, I'm sure you will play better. Having confidence in your equipment does make a difference. I miscued a few times my self with a talisman tip, it was medium and broken in very well so it was actually hard. That is ok but my miscue was caused by the glue lines. With only 1 tip of english I miscued a few times. That is closer to the center of the tip than the edge of the tip. I'm not using them anymore as I use a original Schön tip that is very hard.
What I might add, not wishing you any bad luck of course, is to look at the tip when you miscue. Notice where on the tip the miscue took place. If it is on the very outer edge then you know that the stroke was less than perfect, so to speak. If it is not near that far out then chalk up better or maybe the tip needs a little scuffing. In my case none of the afore mentioned worked unless I scuffed it much more than necessary. BTW I don't really sand or scuff, I knurl the tip so it doesn't take away any tip material.

07-25-2002, 10:15 AM
What causes 99.9% of cueballs to jump over the object ball or jump into the OB while applying maximum draw is the fact that you are actually hitting the cloth first and the tip comes up under the CB scooping it upwards. The 2nd most common cause is being uncomfortable hitting the CB so low fearing it will jump which in turn causes a tentative stroke and an incomplete follow thru. You cannot jump the CB if you contact it first and follow thru. Of course this is assuming the tip is chalked and otherwise maintained.

SpiderMan
07-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Yes, that might have been part of it. When I got SPetty's shaft home, I noticed that I could "see light" under one edge. After removing it, I found that it was bonded only over about 70% of the area. Also, the ferrule top had not been sanded "flat", ie the corners were rounded off by the sanding. I'll post some pictures when I can get them out of my camera (PC problems, I'll work on it this weekend).

SPetty noted that the old tip had been installed by a highly-regarded local tip man (you know who). Apparently his "process" involved super-glue and mashing the tip into the floor while the glue set. I'm not surprised at the results /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid Vicious:</font><hr> If there was a scale to measure cue tip install perfection on, Spiderman would have to be the benchmark to strive for,,,I know the eye loop, but even better is under a lab microscope ;-)

I understand that the medium was flapping loose with only a partial bond of adhesive. Reckon that might have has a little to do with the miscue???sid <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
07-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Stickman,

The tape is Mike Shamos's "Jacksonville Project" documentation. It belongs to SPetty, I assume she bought it after reading the BD article.

SpiderMan

ted harris
07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Who's "you know who?" What city are you in?

SpiderMan
07-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Ted, I'm in Dallas but I won't mention the guy's name because I only see the results - I wasn't there to watch him do the work, and I suppose it's possible that the bad job was at least partly due to defective supplies rather than his techniques. He does guarantee his work, so if you have a problem he supposedly will do it over again. I will post the pictures, though, as soon as I can get my home computer working again.

I guess the big difference in myself and guys like that is they are trying to make a living and I'm just trying to see how good a job I can do. I don't need to get a certain number of jobs done every night. I only do tips for acquaintances who ask me to do it, and I don't deviate from the process that I've developed over time and proven to work. That means I keep the shaft for a minimum of 24 hours, usually 2 days. Can't make a living that way, but I can make my friends happy.

SpiderMan

SPetty
07-26-2002, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> ...I guess the big difference in myself and guys like that is they are trying to make a living and I'm just trying to see how good a job I can do.

...Can't make a living that way, but I can make my friends happy.<hr></blockquote>I can vouch for this tip installation being a terrific job! I hope I'm counted as among your friends, and I'm happy happy happy with the tip installation!