PDA

View Full Version : Ahh..those tricky Dems!!

pooltchr
06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm so glad to see the Dems living up to the standards they set for themselves!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

By ANDREW TAYLOR, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jun 3, 7:20 AM ET

WASHINGTON - After promising unprecedented openness regarding Congress' pork barrel practices, House Democrats are moving in the opposite direction as they draw up spending bills for the upcoming budget year.

Democrats are sidestepping rules approved their first day in power in January to clearly identify "earmarks" lawmakers' requests for specific projects and contracts for their states.

Rather than including specific pet projects, grants and contracts in legislation as it is being written, Democrats are following an order by the House Appropriations Committee chairman to keep the bills free of such earmarks until it is too late for critics to effectively challenge them.

Rep. David Obey (news, bio, voting record), D-Wis., says those requests for dams, community grants and research contracts for favored universities or hospitals will be added to spending measures in the fall. That is when House and Senate negotiators assemble final bills.

Such requests total billions of dollars.

As a result, most lawmakers will not get a chance to oppose specific projects as wasteful or questionable when the spending bills for various agencies get their first votes in the full House in June.

The House-Senate compromise bills due for final action in September cannot be amended and are subject to only one hour of debate, precluding challenges to individual projects.

Obey insists he is reluctantly taking the step because Appropriations Committee members and staff have not had enough time to fully review the 36,000 earmark requests that have flooded the committee.

What Obey is doing runs counter to new rules that Democrats promised would make such spending decisions more open.

Drop1
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
So whats the problem? We call that politics son. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DickLeonard
06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Drop1 Wait till they lie us into Peace then all we'll hear is a lie is a lie.LOL.####

Gayle in MD
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Ha ha ha !! Dick, you've out done yourself with that one! Too true, and too funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Truth is, Ms. Pelosi has some good plans for addressing the ethically challenged representatives, and should be announcing them soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

DickLeonard
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Gayle that was for You. No more long replies I can't waste my valuable time with Eg8r and pooltchr.####

Dick in Troy.

Gayle in MD
06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Nor will I.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
06-04-2007, 06:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Ha ha ha !! Dick, you've out done yourself with that one! Too true, and too funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Truth is, Ms. Pelosi has some good plans for addressing the ethically challenged representatives, and should be announcing them soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

She might want to start in her own back yard!
Steve

pooltchr
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Nor will I.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll believe it when I see it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Steve

eg8r
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No more long replies I can't waste my valuable time with Eg8r and pooltchr.#### <hr /></blockquote> LOL, I guess it is our lucky day.

eg8r

eg8r
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Now there is a post you could never live up to.

eg8r

DickLeonard
06-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Gayle Your Learning.

Dick in Troy

Gayle in MD
06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Always learn something when you're around, friend...

Hey, did I ever tell you I love you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
You know what they say about old dogs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Gayle yes you have and I you.####

DickLeonard
06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Eg8r No.####

pooltchr
06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the original topic has been almost totally ignored, and the extreme liberals here are trying to turn it into a "love fest". Amazing how they are so quick to jump on the Republicans, but won't even acknowledge that their wonderful party can pull this underhanded smoke and mirrors crap and it's just fine with them.

Lose the jersey...find the truth!

Steve