PDA

View Full Version : Pressure in a playoff

jjinfla
06-04-2007, 06:53 AM
How well do you handle pressure?

Tommy Kennedy had things well in hand in the finals of the Seminole Florida Pro Tour leading 6-1 in a race to 9 against Marlon Manalo when things started falling apart and Manalo got it to hill hill.

Then it was one game that would decide the match. The winner of the game would receive $1500 more than the loser of the game. How well could you handle all that pressure? Can you imagine playing one game for $1500?

Well yesterday I happened to turn on the Women's golf tour. I don't watch much golf and never heard of these players. But sometimes I like to watch it.

Anyway they ended up tied and the two women had a sudden death playoff for the championship.

Here are two young women playing one hole of golf where the winner will receive $165,000 more than the loser. No that is not a typo. Talk about pressure. I probably would miss the ball entirely.

Also, while at the Florida Pro Tour one of the players was grumbling about the low payout in pool compared to golf. I reminded him that when you watch golf on TV you see thousands of fans out there. Millions more watching it live on TV. Then I asked him how many fans come out to watch the pros play pool.

There were maybe a couple dozen fans in attendance on Saturday at Capones and there were many top rated players on the card. There just is no fan interest in pool.

The players should really be thankful for what they have with the Florida Pro Tour and do all they can to help promote it. But of course they won't. In fact Corey Deuel managed to forfeit his first match. What did he care about the fans. I suppose he was upset losing to Orcollo in a two day match up playing 15 ahead for a few big ones.

Oh well, such is the life of pool. It is all about matching up and me, me, me.

Jake

Rich R.
06-04-2007, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Here are two young women playing one hole of golf where the winner will receive $165,000 more than the loser. No that is not a typo. Talk about pressure. I probably would miss the ball entirely.<hr /></blockquote>
With that kind of money up for grabs, I would have trouble finding grass on the golf course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chopstick
06-04-2007, 07:32 AM
The thing about golf is you can fit 50,000 people on a golf course and they all pay $20 or more to get in. You can't get more than a hundred or so in a pool room tournament and if you do there's nowhere to sit and you still can't see the games.

What's really sad is the tournament in Vegas. I went to visit some friends that were playing at the BCA nationals there. During the same time there was a pro tournament with all the top players there. It was a great room the bleachers all the way around. I saw Efren play there.

9,000 pool players a hundred feet down the hall and the pro tournament room was 90% empty the whole time.

BigRigTom
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> The thing about golf is you can fit 50,000 people on a golf course and they all pay $20 or more to get in. You can't get more than a hundred or so in a pool room tournament and if you do there's nowhere to sit and you still can't see the games.

What's really sad is the tournament in Vegas. I went to visit some friends that were playing at the BCA nationals there. During the same time there was a pro tournament with all the top players there. It was a great room the bleachers all the way around. I saw Efren play there.

9,000 pool players a hundred feet down the hall and the pro tournament room was 90% empty the whole time. <hr /></blockquote>

I believe this and it is a damn shame!
Why is it this way?
I would sit and watch if I were able to be in the same area at the time of the tournament. I wonder how many of those 900 people even KNEW that pros were in the next room. It would be an interesting subject for one of those color guys to address....why don't one of them take a camera crew and mic and go interview some of those 900 and ask a few questions.....like...
1.) Do you know there are pro matches next door?
2.) Do you know the name of any of the pros playing next door?
3.) Do you know how much it cost to go in and watch them play?
4.) Do you plan to watch any of the pro matches next door, if not, WHY NOT?
5.) What would it take to get you to go next door and watch a pro match?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

There is truth in the fact that for pool pros to get better money there has to be more interest from the fans. It is the chicken and egg question of which comes first?

Organizations like the APA, BCA, VNEA, UPA etc etc etc should bare the responsibility for drawing fans into these matches even if they have to invite their members to attend FREE!

jjinfla
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> [..why don't one of them take a camera crew and mic and go interview some of those 900 and ask a few questions.....like...
1.) Do you know there are pro matches next door?
2.) Do you know the name of any of the pros playing next door?
3.) Do you know how much it cost to go in and watch them play?
4.) Do you plan to watch any of the pro matches next door, if not, WHY NOT?
5.) What would it take to get you to go next door and watch a pro match?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

There is truth in the fact that for pool pros to get better money there has to be more interest from the fans. It is the chicken and egg question of which comes first?

Organizations like the APA, BCA, VNEA, UPA etc etc etc should bare the responsibility for drawing fans into these matches even if they have to invite their members to attend FREE! <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Kevin Trudeu did do exactly that when he hosted the IPT in Orlando. That should have been his eye opener when all he received was negative replies to his questions. Or "I don't know".

I mean, here you had the VERY BEST that pool has to offer and nobody cared.

KT actually did try to do a lot for the pool players. Why he didn't close up shop right after Orlando is the big mystery. Unless of course he really did expect to make a bundle with on line gambling. That really is the only hope for the pool players. If people could place bets on the games then the money would roll in.

Oh well, not in my lifetime.

People who kept criticizing KT for "not dong it right", or "he should have done..." or "KT is not good for pool" didn't, and still don't, have a clue. Of course KT was in it for himself. He wanted to make millions off the players. Nothing wrong with that. The more he would make, the more he would pay the players. Surely, players are not so dumb that they think they should get all the money and the boss gets nothing.

Well, let me think about that again. Pool players are dumb.

Jake

dg-in-centralpa
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>

9,000 pool players a hundred feet down the hall and the pro tournament room was 90% empty the whole time. <hr /></blockquote>

That's a shame! At Hopkins Valley Valley Forge convention,the pro arena is filled close to capacity most of the time.

DG

Deeman3
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> and go interview some of those 900 and ask a few questions.....like...
1.) Do you know there are pro matches next door? <font color="blue"> Yes, I heard they were playing but that $2.75 buffet is calling me. </font color>
2.) Do you know the name of any of the pros playing next door? <font color="blue"> NO, but I have heard that Earl might be there and might make a scene. If there's one thing we don't need in pool is an image problem, you know, like McEnroe drove all those peple away from tennis, like you know how attendance just falls through the floor when a Hockey fight breaks out. No, I'm holding out for the boreing alternate break and runs where everyone behaves like a gentlemen even if there's no one there to see it. </font color>
3.) Do you know how much it cost to go in and watch them play? <font color="blue"> Probably a lot, like a bout half what the bleachers cost at Wriggly Field. </font color>
4.) Do you plan to watch any of the pro matches next door, if not, WHY NOT? <font color="blue"> Only if it can be shown to be full of bland personalities and good sportmanship like we have at the BCA Amatures (see other post). </font color>
5.) What would it take to get you to go next door and watch a pro match? <font color="blue"> More cleavage from Jennifer Baretta and Kid Delicious, a Sardo rack crusher, two overheads of three pocket cams in each pocket and the romantic sound of slot machines in the background. </font color>

Organizations like the APA, BCA, VNEA, UPA etc etc etc should bare the responsibility for drawing fans into these matches even if they have to invite their members to attend FREE! <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I don't think so....Pool Players like playing other pool players and watching really good players just send most off to try their buddy a few games again. Of course, aside from Earl, whom most of you have said will never watch him again (although there's always no room around his table), gambling is what has really destroyed this wonderful game. Heck, in the 40,50 and 60's I think wagering on pool was unheard of, except at every bar, pool room and truck stop in the couontry and that was pool's heyday. Now, you can't get someone to bet that water is wet without a mortal lock...

What a Strange and Wonderful Journey it has been....</font color>

SpiderMan
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> 9,000 pool players a hundred feet down the hall and the pro tournament room was 90% empty the whole time. <hr /></blockquote>

One possible reason for this is that both tournaments are going simultaneously. I spent a week at the BCA nationals last month, and entered all three tournament events. I typically had one to four matches per day, but the scheduling is such that you aren't guaranteed any specific large block of free time. When I wasn't playing or hanging around waiting for my next table assignment to be posted, I was either eating, sleeping, or in transit between one of the former and my downtown hotel.

Also, Las Vegas has a lot going on to compete with pool. Many amateur players at the Nationals are combining their pool-playing with a family vacation. I only had one afternoon (Tuesday) off between singles and teams, so my girlfriend and I went to Lake Mead. And we saw Elvis.

If I lost out early and found myself without any commitments for the last few days, I would have considered spending a half-day at the pro tourney. But my own performance takes priority over watching anyone else.

All those golfer-fans at the Nelson have nothing better to do than follow the herd around the course. They aren't trying to play at the same time.

SpiderMan

KellyStick
06-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Seems to me one solution might be bigger pool tables. I mean really big pool tables. Tables that you can get 50,000 people around in order to watch. We would get bigger balls to. Balls that you could sell ad space on. I mean really big balls ehh. Some hot cheerleaders or a cool half time show might be needed. We could mimick golf by using a Pool Cart to ride to the CB. We could have different sticks for different shots (jump, break, draw...) and a Caddy to help us select the stick as well as read the inevitable lie of the table... err field. This would probably be outside so wind would likely be an affect. We would need lots and lots more stats for people to talk about and memorize during the week. We could could have a grass table.. err field... like Wimbledom. We would probably need a pool season too because you have to take away the sport for a time so that people can miss it and really be fired up about it when it kicks in. Players would need to identify with a geographic location so that you would have an automatic following in your home town, rivalries, politics over field improvements, tailgating. And of course these would be franchises that bring in more money. We would need to have some bad players that get in trouble with the law so that they can get some publicity and then be sanctioned by the league thus more publicity and intrigue. We will know we have succeeded when you see a pool player in a Nike commercial "Break harder with Nike!.

Ok so maybe that is a bit ridiculous?

Cydpkt
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Just mount a lance to the golf cart. Then have specific golf carts for jumping, masse, ect.

Chopstick
06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> Seems to me one solution might be bigger pool tables. I mean really big pool tables. Tables that you can get 50,000 people around in order to watch. We would get bigger balls to. Balls that you could sell ad space on. I mean really big balls ehh. Some hot cheerleaders or a cool half time show might be needed. We could mimick golf by using a Pool Cart to ride to the CB. We could have different sticks for different shots (jump, break, draw...) and a Caddy to help us select the stick as well as read the inevitable lie of the table... err field. This would probably be outside so wind would likely be an affect. We would need lots and lots more stats for people to talk about and memorize during the week. We could could have a grass table.. err field... like Wimbledom. We would probably need a pool season too because you have to take away the sport for a time so that people can miss it and really be fired up about it when it kicks in. Players would need to identify with a geographic location so that you would have an automatic following in your home town, rivalries, politics over field improvements, tailgating. And of course these would be franchises that bring in more money. We would need to have some bad players that get in trouble with the law so that they can get some publicity and then be sanctioned by the league thus more publicity and intrigue. We will know we have succeeded when you see a pool player in a Nike commercial "Break harder with Nike!.

Ok so maybe that is a bit ridiculous? <hr /></blockquote>

Now you're talkin'. I have always thought that we should get Vince McMahon to run the BCA. Maybe he could jazz it up like he did rasslin. Showmanship is what is required to boost this sport, plain and simple.

Golf used to nothing until Arnold Palmer came along. He is the one who got golf on Tv, sponsors to back it, and raise the tournament payouts. As long as pool is generally perceived to be a seedy little back room game it is not going to go anywhere. No matter how much money you throw at it.

SpiderMan
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
It seems to me that no matter how enjoyable any individual (non-team) activity may be, it never appeals to the masses until there is an "outfit" that goes with it. If you can do it in street clothes, it ain't going nowhere.

Running went nowhere until you had to have designer shoes and shorts, and $65 sweat pants. Suddenly everyone wanted to be identified with the trend. 300-pound lard vats who couln't run to the toilet wore Reeboks to work, and Oshmans stock doubled.

Bicycling used to be something you only did until you could afford a car, until they came out with the shiny faggot britches and color-coordinated brain pans. Now that you have to spend a half-hour suiting up, just to pedal to the corner 7-11, it's a national craze. Some guys probably suit up before DRIVING to 7-11, just to make a statement. Once a year, some zealots now actually care what happens in France.

Tennis has always had an official "outfit" that instantly indentified it's participants. As a result, it's been mainstream forever, and considered quite upscale to this day.

And of course there's golf, whose players dress in a wardrobe that would otherwise only appeal to pimply-faced geeks in college-prep calculus.

The biggest success story for introduction of an "outfit" is, of course, motorcycling. Back in the '70s and '80s, the last American manufacturer of two-wheeled transportation was dying a slow death. Despite ridiculous protective tariffs that priced Japanese hardware through the roof, the riding public couldn't be forced to buy Harley-Davidson's over-priced under-performing oil-leaking pushmobiles. Then someone got the brilliant idea to market riding a v-twin as a "lifestyle". Now we got yuppies who probably don't even change their own oil and plugs riding around on $30,000 (!??!!!) bikes and sporting the full range of chaps, vests, patches, boots, shake-rags, fake ponytails, and watercolor tattoos. Are these guys "bikers"? Is there a Harley dealership left in America that is still a motorcycle shop? It's been years since I saw one without over 50% of showroom space devoted to "fashion accessories". But they're laughing all the way to the bank, and even trendy restaurants now have "bike night" once a week.

So, all pool needs is a readily-identifiable "look". A set of duds that identifies the man on the street as one of the elite. Something besides beat-up sneakers and a powdered nose.

Who cares to volunteer a wardrobe design?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> Seems to me one solution might be bigger pool tables. I mean really big pool tables. Tables that you can get 50,000 people around in order to watch. We would get bigger balls to. Balls that you could sell ad space on. I mean really big balls ehh. Some hot cheerleaders or a cool half time show might be needed. We could mimick golf by using a Pool Cart to ride to the CB. We could have different sticks for different shots (jump, break, draw...) and a Caddy to help us select the stick as well as read the inevitable lie of the table... err field. This would probably be outside so wind would likely be an affect. We would need lots and lots more stats for people to talk about and memorize during the week. We could could have a grass table.. err field... like Wimbledom. We would probably need a pool season too because you have to take away the sport for a time so that people can miss it and really be fired up about it when it kicks in. Players would need to identify with a geographic location so that you would have an automatic following in your home town, rivalries, politics over field improvements, tailgating. And of course these would be franchises that bring in more money. We would need to have some bad players that get in trouble with the law so that they can get some publicity and then be sanctioned by the league thus more publicity and intrigue. We will know we have succeeded when you see a pool player in a Nike commercial "Break harder with Nike!.

Ok so maybe that is a bit ridiculous? <hr /></blockquote>

Now you're talkin'. I have always thought that we should get Vince McMahon to run the BCA. Maybe he could jazz it up like he did rasslin. Showmanship is what is required to boost this sport, plain and simple.

Golf used to nothing until Arnold Palmer came along. He is the one who got golf on Tv, sponsors to back it, and raise the tournament payouts. As long as pool is generally perceived to be a seedy little back room game it is not going to go anywhere. No matter how much money you throw at it. <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

SpiderMan

<font color="blue"> I'm on it. I'll start my DeeMan Collection design tonight after the Thursday night tournament schedule is finished....I'll have a few rough design suggestions in a few days. This will, of course, sent the sport through the roof. I'll need a couple of models, female volunteers who don't mind showing little skin.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>

ras314
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>

I expect the room filled up more for the later rounds. Odd, even pool players only seem to be interested in who wins rather than how well the game is played.

ras314
06-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Dang it Deeman, I missed the chance to get a pic of the Spidey/SPetty team for the collection.

Camera, computer, and me are all getting useless.

SpiderMan
06-08-2007, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Dang it Deeman, I missed the chance to get a pic of the Spidey/SPetty team for the collection.

Camera, computer, and me are all getting useless. <hr /></blockquote>

Roy,

I'm not sure I still have your email address, but PM it to me and I'll send you the group shots we posed for at the Rio Buffet (you're in that one).

SpiderMan

Chopstick
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

SpiderMan

<font color="blue"> I'm on it. I'll start my DeeMan Collection design tonight after the Thursday night tournament schedule is finished....I'll have a few rough design suggestions in a few days. This will, of course, sent the sport through the roof. I'll need a couple of models, female volunteers who don't mind showing little skin.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I thought of you right off when he said that. As far as models with "negotiable virtues" I know a boat load of those. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DickLeonard
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
JJinFla I have to say I think nineball is the most boring game it televises poorly. It is the only sleeping aide that you don't need a perscription for.####

Deeman3
06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> JJinFla I have to say I think nineball is the most boring game it televises poorly. It is the only sleeping aide that you don't need a perscription for.#### <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yep, it's better than a Valium to put you to sleep but what you gonna do? No one will play any other game except 8 ball on little tiny tables with large pockets and dead or dying rails...O.K. I'm just showing my frustration. I am wondering how many other nine ball rules we can change to make it even more boring? Kinda hard to get excited about running a package when you have alternate break. At least the Women's Tour has figured out to request the audience to applaud every shot. However, they forget to tell them not to applaud the misses as well! Anyone else noticed this? </font color>