PDA

View Full Version : Aiming Tip

ThePittsburghKid
06-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Take a ball and place it on one of the spots. Arrange the ball so that the number on the ball is aimed directly at the pocket (as if you are shooting the object ball directly into the pocket). Finally, place a poker chip on top of the object ball with the markers on the chip also pointed directly at the pocket. You now have a visual reference point of where you need to hit the object ball. Practice spot shots or any other shot using center cue ball contact. Using english will throw the object ball slightly and you will need to adjust your aiming point accordingly.

Paul_Mon
06-06-2007, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ThePittsburghKid:</font><hr> Take a ball and place it on one of the spots. Arrange the ball so that the number on the ball is aimed directly at the pocket (as if you are shooting the object ball directly into the pocket). Finally, place a poker chip on top of the object ball with the markers on the chip also pointed directly at the pocket. You now have a visual reference point of where you need to hit the object ball. Practice spot shots or any other shot using center cue ball contact. Using english will throw the object ball slightly and you will need to adjust your aiming point accordingly. <hr /></blockquote>

How about putting a ball on the spot and shooting it in the pocket WITHOUT any aiming device or system. Do this for about 30 minutes each day for a few days. After making and missing this same shot for a few days you'll know where to aim. I don't mean to break your balls here. It's just that there are countless aiming devices and systems. What you suggest might help a novice but it will NEVER help you under game conditions. You going to stop play and put a poker chip on top of the game ball?

Paul Mon~~~~~believes in practicing

bataisbest
06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I agree 100%. No poker chip or SPYDER gadgets are going to help you when you are deep in a tournament with money on the line. It's best to just practice the shot without all the extracurricular stuff- repitition until it becomes a habit is best I think.

cushioncrawler
06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey -- A guy showed me that poker-chip aiming trick once -- never seen my chip since. madMac.

KellyStick
06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Also practice the shot with distractions. Play music, invite the neigborhood kids to come jump around by the table while you shoot. Maybe someone firing an AK47 overhead. If you notice any of this you are not concentrating. Sorry, not much of a post but my fingers were getting itchy.

pooltchr
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ThePittsburghKid:</font><hr> Take a ball and place it on one of the spots. Arrange the ball so that the number on the ball is aimed directly at the pocket (as if you are shooting the object ball directly into the pocket). Finally, place a poker chip on top of the object ball with the markers on the chip also pointed directly at the pocket. You now have a visual reference point of where you need to hit the object ball. Practice spot shots or any other shot using center cue ball contact. Using english will throw the object ball slightly and you will need to adjust your aiming point accordingly. <hr /></blockquote>

One word...Fantastic!
Steve

Bob_Jewett
06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
To the extent that I understand your description, the poker chip doesn't work at all, geometrically. Certainly the line of your stick doesn't point at the poker chip (or for that matter, the number on the ball). How is this supposed to help aiming?

Duckie
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
If you want a simple aiming device check out diagram 2 in the following article
http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-12.pdf

jjinfla
06-08-2007, 06:10 AM
I agree Paul. All these aiming devices are just gimmicks that you can't use during a game. The only way to learn this game is to pocket a ton of balls. That's called practice. Lots and lots of practice. Hundreds of hours of practice. There is no short cut.

One has to do two things to make balls. 1) Know what spot to hit on the object ball 2) Be able to hit that spot.

If you can't shoot the cue ball up and down the table how can you possibly hit a spot that is only 1/64" wide?

Have someone talk to you when you are shooting and see if you can keep your concentration. Or have someone jingle coins in their pocket as you are lining up the shot. I unconsciously did that at the FPT and Buddy Hall's opponent did not like it and let me know. LOL

Jake

ThePittsburghKid
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Bob_Jewett, I'm not really an expert in using this aiming tip. I played around with it for about a half hour, but thought someone else might find it useful. What you aim for is the front mark on the top of the chip which is aimed for the pocket (you have to carefully balance the chip and position it perfectly). Also use the number on the ball as a reference point (it must also be positioned with care). Aim for the number on the ball or the mark on the chip.

Bob_Jewett
06-08-2007, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ThePittsburghKid:</font><hr> Bob_Jewett, I'm not really an expert in using this aiming tip. I played around with it for about a half hour, but thought someone else might find it useful. What you aim for is the front mark on the top of the chip which is aimed for the pocket (you have to carefully balance the chip and position it perfectly). Also use the number on the ball as a reference point (it must also be positioned with care). Aim for the number on the ball or the mark on the chip. <hr /></blockquote>
If your stick actually points at the spot on the poker chip, you will hit the object ball much, much too full. Please try Babe Cranfield's "Arrow" (which is available for free) and see how far from the correct aiming line, which the Arrow will give you, the poker chip method is.

When you first mentioned the marks on the poker chip, I thought you were going to describe something like Joe Tucker's aiming system. Tucker's system is accurate, but to do it with poker chips would require chips as large as the balls and you would also need to put one on top of the cue ball.

dr_dave
06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I think the best way to practice aiming and ghost-ball visualization is to use real balls (preferrably striped balls). See the "ghost-ball" links under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html) for more info. The technique is very visual, and it doesn't cost anything.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ThePittsburghKid:</font><hr> Take a ball and place it on one of the spots. Arrange the ball so that the number on the ball is aimed directly at the pocket (as if you are shooting the object ball directly into the pocket). Finally, place a poker chip on top of the object ball with the markers on the chip also pointed directly at the pocket. You now have a visual reference point of where you need to hit the object ball. Practice spot shots or any other shot using center cue ball contact. Using english will throw the object ball slightly and you will need to adjust your aiming point accordingly.<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
06-08-2007, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ThePittsburghKid:</font><hr> Take a ball and place it on one of the spots. Arrange the ball so that the number on the ball is aimed directly at the pocket (as if you are shooting the object ball directly into the pocket). Finally, place a poker chip on top of the object ball with the markers on the chip also pointed directly at the pocket. You now have a visual reference point of where you need to hit the object ball. Practice spot shots or any other shot using center cue ball contact. Using english will throw the object ball slightly and you will need to adjust your aiming point accordingly. <hr /></blockquote>

One word...Fantastic!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,

You must have caught something that I missed. I don't see how this aiming reference can be geometrically correct. I guess I misunderstood, or need more detail. Does it have something to do with the poker chip being the right amount "smaller" than the ball to somehow indicate the correct aim point? If so, I still don't see how it could remain correct as the approach angle changes.

SpiderMan

tpredes
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
A tip that was given to me several years ago (which has been called "phantom ball", "shadows", "edge")is simply to
sight the object ball through the cue ball, aligning either the far left or right edge of your ferrule with the very outside edge of the object ball. It depends on what size tip one uses. I use the inside edge of my ferrule to the outside of the object ball. To test the theory, place a ball on the spot, to shoot it into the far left hand corner. Place a cue stick on the table as if to touch the very spot where one would hit the ball to shoot it straight into the hole. Then place the cue ball anywhere down table, and align the "edges" as stated above. You will see that the points are exactly the same. No magic here, but it definitely works. It is so simple, I laugh at some of these tips. Give it a try, and let me know if it works for you!
tp /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Duckie
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
The arrow provides real world spot to put the cue ball to make the object ball, also the point of the arrow is just an extention of the contact point on the object. Granted it only is accurate for shots that that have no spin of any kind. But if you know where the cue balls needs to be for no spin shots, then it is easier to adjust for spin.

Like if you are gonna use outside english, just move the point for a more fuller hit.

Granted practice is the only way to get really good, but if you don't have some way of knowing where to hit the object ball, then all the practice in the world will not help.

After using the arrow for a while, I was able to see where to put the cue without it. I seldom ever need to look at the contact point on the object ball which helped to keep my line of sight straighter then looking at the contact point and then where the cue ball needs to be cause where the contact point is, is is not where you need to aim. The arrow gives you a spot where to aim.

Actully making balls consist of knowing where to place the cue ball to make the object and knowing where the cue needs to be to make the next shots.

TipMan
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Hello Steve - I too am curious - why do you say fatastic?

pooltchr
06-19-2007, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TipMan:</font><hr> Hello Steve - I too am curious - why do you say fatastic? <hr /></blockquote>

I think Superman is fantastic, but I don't necessarily believe he is real. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

1Time
07-17-2007, 01:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>The only way to learn this game is to pocket a ton of balls. That's called practice. Lots and lots of practice. Hundreds of hours of practice. There is no short cut. <hr /></blockquote>

My high school golf coach called this approach to learning "chasing one's mistakes". This "practice approach" implies one can't learn or improve one's game through instruction, observation or competition. Of course there is value and necessity in practice; however to state it is the only way to learn the game of pool is inaccurate and misleading. I actually pitty the fools who attempt to learn this game (or golf or chess) without instruction or at least observing how better players shoot pool. This limited approach to learning pool also reminds me of a common hustler's line, "the best way to improve your game is to play for money", which by the way also is not true.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
One has to do two things to make balls. 1) Know what spot to hit on the object ball 2) Be able to hit that spot.

If you can't shoot the cue ball up and down the table how can you possibly hit a spot that is only 1/64" wide?
<hr /></blockquote>

And FWIW, hitting imaginary spots on object balls is not the only (or even best) way to pocket them. Oh, and I probably can't consistently hit a ball the length of the table and have it return to my cue tip either, but that's never stopped me from running a few racks of 9-ball.

dave666
08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
try this before anything. take a ball and place it against the middle diamond on the foot rail, and than place the cue ball on the head string spot . now aim as close to the ball on the foot rail as you can. this will tell you the deflection of your stroke and cue type. get used to your deflection and you will see the improvement in your practice drills. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rurso1
08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
If you want to be good at something, the only real way to do it is do that one thing a lot! Practice how you play.

Deeman3
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Why did that not work with sex? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

New2Pool
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Why did that not work with sex? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Because in sex only practicing with a partner leads to improvement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman3
08-13-2007, 03:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Why did that not work with sex? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Because in sex only practicing with a partner leads to improvement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Oh! You need a partner? That's where I've been going wrong! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

1Time
08-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Aiming tips and gimmicks place a distant last when compared to learning how to shoot pool from in person instruction, observation, practice, and competition.