PDA

View Full Version : Predator BK2 Shaft Explosion

Bassn7
06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
On the table next to me, during a league match, a guy exploded a BK2 shaft into three splintered pieces during a break shot. I examined the shaft and it was hollow. What's with that?! I thought all Predator shafts were solid laminated. Any info. ?????

Bob_Jewett
06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> On the table next to me, during a league match, a guy exploded a BK2 shaft into three splintered pieces during a break shot. I examined the shaft and it was hollow. What's with that?! I thought all Predator shafts were solid laminated. Any info. ????? <hr /></blockquote>
To the best of my knowledge, all the original Predator shafts were drilled out for the first 4-6 inches. Why this helps to reduce squirt is fairly well understood. I thought that this was covered on their web site, but I just looked and the new edition of the web site is a lot flashier but I could find nothing about the internals of the design.

I have no idea whether the same technique is used in break cues, and there is a hand-wavy argument as to why it is a good idea not to drill break shafts.

Cornerman
06-09-2007, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> On the table next to me, during a league match, a guy exploded a BK2 shaft into three splintered pieces during a break shot. I examined the shaft and it was hollow. What's with that?! I thought all Predator shafts were solid laminated. Any info. ????? <hr /></blockquote>
I have to believe that there are over 10,000 posts describing the Predator shafts and their hollow interior in the first several inches, and why they're like that.

I wonder if this is a solid example of the fact that posters will skip over the posts that tend to by more scientifically oriented. This isn't a knock. It's just a confirmation.

Fred

Chopstick
06-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Cool. I wish I could have been there.

sygfrid
06-20-2007, 05:25 AM

What a sight to see it must have been! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Another reason for me to keep on loving 1pc solid shafts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cushioncrawler
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> ...I have to believe that there are over 10,000 posts describing the Predator shafts and their hollow interior in the first several inches, and why they're like that. I wonder if this is a solid example of the fact that posters will skip over the posts that tend to by more scientifically oriented. This isn't a knock. It's just a confirmation. Fred<hr /></blockquote>Fred -- I had a bit of a look back there, and i found this funny posting by "nhp".....

...."You know what amazes me, is how absoloutely identical and redundant all of these deflection argument threads are. You get some guy who has an unimpressive opinion on deflection, then a couple people throw in little tidbits of information here and there, and then as if he is a pool god, angrily woken from his slumber by the sound of pool blasphemy, one of the pool physics wizards suddenly makes his presence known, first by a one-liner post like "You have no idea what you're talking about", and then they wait for a while for the deflection blasphemer/sinner to dig their own grave even deeper in falsities, then suddenly *WHAM* the pool physics gods lay into him like a sledgehammer. Then of course there is a bunch of arguing and flaming, and then some guy who hasn't posted in the thread yet says something like "It's not the cue, it's the player!" and everyone basically agrees, and then the thread ends. I just find it funny."

Fred -- Me, myself, i allways wonder why the shafts arent hollow on the "outside" -- that is the real question.
Hollow on the outside would inklood the "conical taper", and the non-existant "ribbed shaft".

If a predator needs/has a parallel taper, then i guess that it needs to be hollow on the "inside".
But this then leeds to the question -- Why parallel???
And i guess that the answer is -- Koz some players like to uze a "loop-bridge", and a conical taper feels funny with a loop-bridge.
But this then leeds to the question -- Why a looped-bridge???
And the answer is -- There is no need for a looped-bridge. madMac.