PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Pool Table, need some help please

slippy
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Guys

I am looking to purchase a pool table, and i have come across several manufacturers. Does anyone know if imperial international are any good?

I hear from some people that they manufacture tables other people say they are just a distributor that import their tables from china.

I am looking to get the imperial international Black Pearl aka black shadow

It's a full size American pool table 9ft by 4.5ft playing area, it's on sale for $1500 including VAT from gametables4less

gametables4less

http://www.gametables4less.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=79&idproduct=316

imperial international link:

http://www.imperialusa.com/collections/collections.asp?catalogid=353

I would really appreciate any help on choosing the right table, is the above one any good?

I am getting a mix of very confusing specs, the dealer gametable4less says it has things like 1 inch slate, k-66 rails, diamond sights, etc etc, you can find the list of specs on the link i gave above

Then i found some other dealers saying no it's 0.75 inch slate, and MDF rails

Now i don't know who to believe, because there is a lot of competition in the pool table market and i think maybe some dealers are feeding me some nonsense so i end up paying for an even more expensive model from them. I really don't know whats going on.

Please help guys

Many thanks

ceebee
06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
maybe you tell us where your local area is & what kind of tables you compete on. Maybe you add if you are looking for a practice table or some nice furniture too.

Shopping for a Pool Table & having price be your guide is tough.

BigRigTom
06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Slippy, I took this link from the site you mentioned.

http://www.imperialusa.com/collections/construction.asp

If you read this info, they claim 1" Brazilian slate and K66 rail cushions.

As for the quality, I have no Idea if it is any good.
I prefer Brunswick and I think your money is well spent on Brunswick, Olhausen or Connelly.

Anybody else is a bit of a gamble unless you have LOTS of money to spend.

It all comes down to what you want personally and if you want a great playing table, do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks.
If you are just being cheap then expect to get what you pay for.
Either way you will get what you expect that way.

DeadCrab
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
You mention VAT, are you in Canada?

Might consider one of these:
http://www.canadabillard.com/english/html/products/html/monarch.htm

slippy
06-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Hello Guys

Many thanks for all your replies

I am located in Spain, so i am looking to import

I am looking to pay no more than $1500 for the table. Tell me please for importing (shipping) to Spain do i pay VAT? Or do i only pay VAT once it arrives into a Spanish Port?

Actually i would prefer to decide firstly upon seeing several good pool tables for $1500 and then maybe go for nothing more than $2000

I like modern looking tables, black or silver on the outside and electric blue cloth. Ball return system, free play, 3 piece 1 inch or even 1.25 inch slate, k-66 master cushions, and built to BCA spec.

Is WPA spec tables any good, as good as BCA spec?

I would buy in Spain if i could find any billiard shops, or distributors, do you guys know of any?

Sorry for all the questions

But any help much appreciated

Many thanks

Edit: I am also looking to play on a pool table for about 3 months a year, not in a row but on off for about 3 months a year, several hours a day. I am looking for full size American pool table. Playing field size 9ft by 4.5 feet, i would like it to be built to tournament standards in my price range if possible, but i would be using really for practice, for pool competitions with my friends. But i would like it to be the kind of table which if i do get really good i could enter myself into a real pool competition and see how well i do.

caedos
06-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Also, you might look at eBay although there may be service or quality control issues.

Oz

slippy
06-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Hello Carl

I just got your email, many thanks for all the great information, it's really help full.

So you said to me that the black pearl by imperial international is fine. I do plan on keeping this table for many years, i would play on and off for about 3 months a year, several hours a day. Do you think this table can take that much of a beating during those 3 months year after year?

Also in your email reply when you listed these tables in the groups, the imperial international you listed in the mid range quality. What i don't understand is that you then mentioned 'anything without Italian slate (O.I.S)' I thought Italian slate is the best slate. Does this also mean that your saying that the black pearl by imperial international is not a slate table?

TIA

Drop1
06-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I hope you have someone to set it up,that knows what they are doing,other wise,you can consider a sky high freight chararge. you are talking way under price for a decent 9'x4.5 tabe. It seems to me you should hold off,and get a Chinese table,in about 6 months. Tables today are almost all knock down. I talked with Brunswick,and they told me the slate was cut and polished in Italy,but the stone originally came from Brazil.

ceebee
06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Since you live in Spain & you are considering importing a table, couldn't you look for a great used table, somewhat close to home & use the shipping monies as purchase monies?

Maybe you should put pen to paper & cost out the different scenarios, before moving in one direction.

Shipping costs & import duties are monsters.

BigRigTom
06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Since you live in Spain &amp; you are considering importing a table, couldn't you look for a great used table, somewhat close to home &amp; use the shipping monies as purchase monies?

Maybe you should put pen to paper &amp; cost out the different scenarios, before moving in one direction.

Shipping costs &amp; import duties are monsters. <hr /></blockquote>

Good, prudent advise! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif