PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball rule

ronanrhonda
06-10-2007, 06:06 PM
is it legal to use and strike your oppenets ball first when making a combination shot.

Jal
06-10-2007, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ronanrhonda:</font><hr> is it legal to use and strike your oppenets ball first when making a combination shot. <hr /></blockquote>No, it is not. You can use your opponent's ball as part of a combination, as long as you make contact with one of the balls from your group first.

After the break, the table is open and you can use any ball, except the eight, to legally pocket any other ball. Upon doing so, you've made your choice of group (the pocketed ball's group) and the table is now closed. You must now contact one of your balls first.

Here are the world standardized rules, which likely aren't being followed to a tee wherever you happen to be playing:

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

Everyone seems to have their own set of rules for 8-ball, so it's always good to check them out beforehand.

Jim

Jager85
06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr>
After the break, the table is open and you can use any ball, except the eight, to legally pocket any other ball. Upon doing so, you've made your choice of group (the pocketed ball's group) and the table is now closed. You must now contact one of your balls first.<hr /></blockquote>

This is true in APA, where slop is allowed. I have always been told that if you are playing ACS or Straight 8 where you have to call you shot that this is not allowed. It is said that if you have to call your shot, as in ACS, on an open table, once you call a ball, say the 6 in the corner, you are now assuming solids for the turn and must, in fact, hit a solid 1st.

So anytime you do not have to call your shot this is allowed on an open table. Also, I am to believe in straight 8, where there is no ball in hand, there is no foul when contacting the opponents ball 1st.

Curtis

Jal
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jager85:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jal:</font><hr>
After the break, the table is open and you can use any ball, except the eight, to legally pocket any other ball. Upon doing so, you've made your choice of group (the pocketed ball's group) and the table is now closed. You must now contact one of your balls first.<hr /></blockquote>

This is true in APA, where slop is allowed. I have always been told that if you are playing ACS or Straight 8 where you have to call you shot that this is not allowed. It is said that if you have to call your shot, as in ACS, on an open table, once you call a ball, say the 6 in the corner, you are now assuming solids for the turn and must, in fact, hit a solid 1st.

So anytime you do not have to call your shot this is allowed on an open table. Also, I am to believe in straight 8, where there is no ball in hand, there is no foul when contacting the opponents ball 1st.

Curtis <hr /></blockquote>Hi Jager,

I'm not familiar with the rules of different leagues. According to the standardized version, which defines a call-shot game, you can hit any ball first when the table is open, except the eight:

"4.9 OPEN TABLE
(Defined) The table is "open" when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has not yet been determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit a solid first to make a stripe or vice-versa. Note: The table is always open immediately after the break shot. When the table is open, it is legal to hit any solid or stripe first in the process of pocketing the called stripe or solid. However, when the table is open and the 8-ball is the first ball contacted, it is a foul and no stripe or solid may be scored in favor of the shooter. ...."

On an Accu-Stats Invitational tape I have, they were playing by the above rule.

Like you say, there are probably exceptions.

Jim

MrLucky
06-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Historically, 1950's through early 80's the rules that we played were no combos with opponents balls at anytime!
apa allows it as described above you can hit anything when table is open but once a ball is made you must use those balls first in a combo!