PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know Who Said This?

Gayle in MD
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate, than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this Supreme Being.

But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their positions 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money, or votes, or both.

I'm frankly tired of the political preachers across this country telling me, as a citizen, that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D'. Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate.

I am warning them today; I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of conservatism.

Gayle in Md.

cushioncrawler
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Sounds a bit like Abe -- except for the slangy "clout". madMac.

Drop1
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Barry Goldwater---1982

Gayle in MD
06-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Bingo! Barry must be turning over in his grave, these days. He was a good man, IMO. Too bad he wasn't young enough to remain a voice and advisor, during this Neocon/Republican onslaught against the Principles that our country was founded upon, such as, Separation of Church and State, Congressional Oversight, media standards which must be adhered to by the right wing pundits who have hurt our country, and our Veterans, with blind support for incompetence, and lies, and a tax system which does not reward those Corporate Thieves who are robbing all Americans, with the approval, and assistance, of the Bush Neocons, and the Corporate War Profiteering, which they have pandered to throughout this war.

15,000 Corporations claim to be running their operations from one small three story building in the Bahamas, yet the right misconstrues a bill which finally addresses the dire needs of our Veterans, and other Americans who are struggling to overcome drastic consequences from floods, hurricanes, and tornados. Republicans left atleast 16 appropriations Bills, up in the air, and now Democrats are being attacked by the right, for having to take the time to clear up all the unfinished business left by the blandk Check Republican Congress.

If Bush Vetos this appropriations bill, the first in decades which addresses the plight of our Veterans Of War, Post Tramatic Stress Syndrome, Medical Needs, decent housing, and could stop the pattern of homeless veterans, living on the streets, without the proper medical attention for their psychological issues when they come home, I hope American will finally see the blatant disregard he has, in fact, for supporting our troops, who are stuck in an unwinnable, religious based, civil war, slaughter, while right wing pundits, like O'Reilly, chastised and label other networks as leftist radicals for reporting to us about the forrible circumstances which continue, and worsen, in Iraq, in Bush's War Of Terror, and Lies.

Gayle in Md.

moblsv
06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Who said these?:

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

Drop1
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
George W.Bush: Well maybe he didn't say them exactly,but no person has done more to show their truth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bobbyrx
06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Thomas Jefferson...who also might as well have said "I owned 187 slaves and fathered many children by them. But what's wrong with that because there is no God and its moral to me!!"

cushioncrawler
06-13-2007, 08:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bobbyrx:</font><hr> Thomas Jefferson...who also might as well have said "I owned 187 slaves and fathered many children by them. But what's wrong with that because there is no God and its moral to me!!"<hr /></blockquote>In fact the Old Testament infers that slavery is moral to God, and the "Commandments" infer likewize.

Morality???? -- in the Bible God is directly responsible for perhaps over 31,000,000 deaths (the "Great Flood" accounting for say 30M of theze), and Satan is (woz) directly responsible for "only" 10 deaths, and theze 10 were with God's permission (Job's 7 sons and 3 daughters). madMac.

Drop1
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Can you point out the passage in the Bible,the alleged word of God,where God is against slavery? I can direct you to where God indicates he does not oppose slavery. Religion has nothing to do with morals.

Gayle in MD
06-13-2007, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Religion has nothing to do with morals.
<hr /></blockquote>

No truer words were ever written!

Gayle in Md.

cushioncrawler
06-14-2007, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> .....In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own....<hr /></blockquote>Dont know who said that, but, i allways say that the trouble with religion is priests. If i had the power, i might allow religion, but i would definitely ban priests. Christianity iz between u and God -- it duznt involve any rotten priests. madMac.

Drop1
06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I think many of the female decendents of Thomas Jefferson,are now members of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I think history will show,when possible men hump women. Truth to tell the Founding Fathers,were pigs,even good old Ben Franklin belonged to a sex club in Paris. If it were not immoral,no one would be doing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifit?. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
06-15-2007, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and Satan is (woz) directly responsible for "only" 10 deaths, and theze 10 were with God's permission (Job's 7 sons and 3 daughters). madMac. <hr /></blockquote> Well you don't really think he could do it without God's permission do you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
06-15-2007, 07:16 AM
I can't beleive you people are sitting here debating this stuff while Paris sits there rotting away in prison.

Chopstick
06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I think many of the female decendents of Thomas Jefferson,are now members of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I think history will show,when possible men hump women. Truth to tell the Founding Fathers,were pigs,even good old Ben Franklin belonged to a sex club in Paris. If it were not immoral,no one would be doing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifit?. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good ole Ben. My favorite Ben quote.

"The position is ridiculous, the pleasure is momentary and the expense is damnable."

<font color="blue">FREE PARIS! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bobbyrx
06-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Matthew 7:12.......then where to morals come from?

Bobbyrx
06-15-2007, 09:30 AM
It's so sad.......sniff sniff..... and they wouldn't let her have her Xanax......

moblsv
06-15-2007, 12:52 PM
"then where t[d]o morals come from?"

Evolution / Strong Reciprocity

Drop1
06-15-2007, 01:42 PM
George Bernare Shaw /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Drop1
06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
From the accepted mores of the community. All societies have taboos recognized as immoral,even the non christian societies,with their non christian religions. Why don't you read a little,start with Bronaslaw Malanowski's "Crime and Punishment In A Primitive Society" This book is about the taboo of incest. We all know the story of Lot's daughters,who banged their father for a noble cause. Was this an immoral act,done for the love of their father?

cushioncrawler
06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> "then where t[d]o morals come from?" Evolution / Strong Reciprocity<hr /></blockquote>Mo -- I think that right'n'wrong is what a (strong) leader sez. It would have to do with what iz best for the leader. He/she wants a large strong productive tribe that maximizes the chances of hiz/her happyness. And a good way to do this iz to uze superstition and a boogyman or two. But then the superstition took over, and now the leader iz allah yahwee god etc. madMac.

cushioncrawler
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
and Satan is (woz) directly responsible for "only" 10 deaths, and theze 10 were with God's permission (Job's 7 sons and 3 daughters). madMac.<hr /></blockquote> Well you don't really think he could do it without God's permission do you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif eg8r<hr /></blockquote>Of course with God's permission. Poor old Satan, nothing more than a "DA" or accuser working for God, in fact a "son of God" -- and nowadayz he/she/it iz painted az a demon/devil, but this wickedness iz just a modern invention. madMac.

Drop1
06-15-2007, 08:35 PM
What do you consider modern? I think it has existed since the Holocene. What do you think of selling cookies for an Atheists' theme park? Can't have a wax museum,the heat would melt Bruno,but then he was burned at the stake. Joan of Arc is out,same reason.

Bobbyrx
06-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Why don't you and Gayle quit telling me to read a little. In college I minored in anthropology and read "Crime and Custom in Savage Society" by Bronislaw Malinowski. It describes and analyzes the ways in which Trobriand Islanders structure and maintain the social and economic order of their tribe. "Crime and Punishment In A Primitive Society" by Bronaslaw Malanowski about incest sounds more interesting though. But then I liked the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" but some folks I know liked "An Officer and a Genitalman" better

Drop1
06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok,read a lot.

Bobbyrx
06-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Have you seen some of the posts replying to me. I don't have time to do anything else. Yours, however are short and to the point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
06-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Dear Drop,
It wouldn't do him a bit of good. He'd read it, then he'd completely misconstrue the material. He needn't complain about my long posts. He won't be recieving any further information from me. Anyone who still believes Bush's Yellowcake, aluminum tubes, Iraqa/bin Laden laughable lies, can't possibly have any effective reading comprehension. That's what I love about the right on here. They deny facts, that the entire world, has proven, are false. Right wing reading, is a complete waste of time, just as Christian Evangelical Scientific Study, is pointless.

I was just watching a show demonstrating how the younger female chimps, were filling their mouths with water, and carrying it to the older female, that couldn't climb to the fountain....if Falwell was still around, he'd be calling them degenerates!

I won't be wasting my time on him, or the Eg

pooltchr
06-16-2007, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I won't be wasting my time on him, or the Eg <hr /></blockquote>

So who will you be wasting your time on now? Some of us feel the same way about you. If you can't make your point in 2 paragraphs or less, I can't be bothered. Chances are, whatever you post, you've already said previously.

Your arrogance in thinking that you and only you understand the complex issues of the world, and anyone who disagrees must be an idiot, does little to give you any credibility. I am bored with reading you continually attacking others on this board, and everyone who doesn't think Hillery hung the moon.

I don't know why I even bother.
Steve

Drop1
06-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Hillery? Now see,thats why your not selling shirts. I haven't noticed Gayle attacking other people on the forum,what I do notice,is she rejects their assertions,and backs up what she says with in depth information. Right wing,born again christians,are ignorant,when it comes to the realities of the world,and they are not nice people. Said by Harry Swiver.

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2007, 10:52 AM
"Right wing,born again christians,are ignorant,when it comes to the realities of the world,and they are not nice people."

Could not have summized it better in one sentence.For a following supposedly based around love, honesty and personal testimony as examples for gatherin in more souls to Christianity...today's right are wrong, and yes, not nice. Ignorance is not bliss, it is foolish, pathetic and just plain dangerous. sid

cushioncrawler
06-16-2007, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> What do you consider modern? I think it has existed since the Holocene. What do you think of selling cookies for an Atheists' theme park? Can't have a wax museum,the heat would melt Bruno,but then he was burned at the stake. Joan of Arc is out,same reason.<hr /></blockquote>Harry -- I red that Jews got their "new" ideas about wickedness from Zoroastrianism whilst in Babylon, in perhaps 540BC. But, Zoro'z didnt (then) have any such notions. So, Jews must have added the devil krap at say 200BC.

Thats the trouble with Atheism -- Atheism is based on non-beleef of Theism -- so, what do u put in a theme park?? -- lots of non-things?? -- a non-god, non-jesus, non-bible. Perhaps u are correct. Atheists need to join up with Agnostics and even Heretics.

Muhammadens got rid of Zoroastrians by giving Muhammadens tax breaks. Christians in the USA are now doing the same thing to Atheists. If i sell cookies, i will havta pay/charge tax. madMac.

Drop1
06-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Don't think so,maybe from old women.In the ancient Jewish communities all old women were thought to be witches,because of their acquired knowledge over time. I think it was during the Holocene period,as the last ice age melted away,and communities formed,that some smart lad became a shaman,a leader to separate good from evil. Zoroastro really had most influence in India,and Iran. And possible introduced the idea of one god,before the Jews. These days,just a drop in the bucket. Ever read "Obituary of the Gods" so many dead gods,that once ruled the lives of their believers. Its enough to make an atheist laugh.

cushioncrawler
06-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Its a pity that Zoroastra and Mazda didnt rule -- we would have had Baseball and Golf etc 1500 years ago. But, silly priks, one of their commandments said that it woz a sin to proselytize.

What woz that one about a young witch stroking my thigh and me turning into a motel. madMac.