PDA

View Full Version : Masse shot

Drop1
06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
I have bad cervical disk proplems,that don't allow me to raise my arms,much above my sholders. I can hold my cue,as though it was a writing pen,and masse a cue ball around a ball against the rail,to sink the object ball. But that is not consistant. Is there a cue tip that is best to use for masse shots,and is it possible to masse the length of the table. I also notice some wrist action seems to help,along with not trying to drive the cue through slate.

dr_dave
06-14-2007, 09:32 PM
FYI, Eric Yow has some good masse instructional material here (http://www.ericyow.com/yowmasse.html). Also, my November '05 article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/2005/nov05.pdf) covers the basics of masse aiming.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I have bad cervical disk proplems,that don't allow me to raise my arms,much above my sholders. I can hold my cue,as though it was a writing pen,and masse a cue ball around a ball against the rail,to sink the object ball. But that is not consistant. Is there a cue tip that is best to use for masse shots,and is it possible to masse the length of the table. I also notice some wrist action seems to help,along with not trying to drive the cue through slate. <hr /></blockquote>

Drop1
06-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks Dr.Dave,I notice Eric comes down with a lot of force,I doubt I have the strenth for more than one or two shots.

1hit1der
06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Most of the artistic shots that guys like Eric and I do require a lot of force because the cue ball needs to travel a fair amount before the spin takes over. If you just need to masse around a nearby obstacle, not much force is needed. For instance, if you just want to masse straight up the table and back, you can probably get 8 to 10 inches of travel just by a quick jab without even hitting the felt with your cue.

If you want the cue ball to slide more, I've found a harder cue tip works better. I usually use a softer tip (Tiger Sniper) on most of my shots though.

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say "table length masse"? Where's the cue ball/blocking ball/object ball?

Drop1
06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
What I mean by table length masse,is cue ball,at one end of table,and object ball at other end of table,with an obsticle say around side pocket,if we were about an inch off the rail with cue ball,which will travel the length of the table around the obsticle, to hit the object ball. Do
you always come straigt down with masse? What controls the curve of the cue ball,and how do you get draw on a masse shot. If the cue ball was the face of a clock,wouldn't I alway be hitting below nine and three,assuming the 12 is at the top. I know this is a lot to ask,and I appreciate your help.

1hit1der
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
If you read the articles that were previously referenced, you should get an idea of what controls the curve of the cue ball. Basically, it's about the initial contact point and where the cue tip is aimed (where it will hit the table with respect to where the cue ball sits). OK, that was a bit wordy, but the articles explain it better. As far as getting draw on a masse, where the tip hits the table has to be "below" 9 and 3 o'clock.

As for a table length masse, there are different ways to do it, depending on when you want the cue ball to curve. At one extreme, you could try to get the cue ball to slide sideways initially (more or less parallel to the short rail) and then let the spin take over and take it down the table. At the other extreme, you could get the cue ball to slide all the way down the table before making a sharp turn to pocket the object ball. And you can make it curve anywhere in between as well.

Most extreme masses that you'll see in the artistic realm require lots of elevation so those will appear to be straight down. I wouldn't use my masse cue if the elevation was less than 75 or 80 degrees. For the table length masse, you can definitely do it with 45 degrees of elevation or so. In this instance, the cue ball will probably curve around the 3rd diamond from the cue ball, depending on how hard you hit it.

okinawa77
07-09-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't agree with the 9 to 3 contact area. I have successfully shot many masse shots hitting on every part of the cue ball except for the 12 (noon) position.

For the full table length masse shot, Yoshikazu Kimura displays it wonderfully.

Having the cue ball partly hanging in the corner pocket can help you get more action because you can shoot through the ball, but not so far as to jam your cue through the bottom of the pocket. Being near the rails/pocket also adds some action to the cue ball because it is known as a slide zone. Table conditions (clean or dirty balls, humidity, table cloth, etc...) all have a factor in the ease/difficulty in masse shots.

You can also get more cue ball action using a jump masse shot.