PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if Ivory ferrule?

Mike_29150
06-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Is there any way to easily tell if any of the components of a cue are genuine Ivory? If so, please share with me. thanks...Mike

Drop1
06-16-2007, 10:03 AM
You might check for a graining,or subtle color change as the piece yellows. [old cue only]

tateuts
06-16-2007, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike_29150:</font><hr> Is there any way to easily tell if any of the components of a cue are genuine Ivory? If so, please share with me. thanks...Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Mike, thanks for inviting me to respond.

Most ferrules are made from some sort of plastic. Ivory shows grain, but in some ivory it's just barely visible, and some plastics yellow or have fibers that show what looks like grain as well.

The next time you're changing the tip, the test most of us would use if there was a question would be to heat up a sharp sewing needle (held in pliers) to red hot and press it to the ferrule edge under the tip. If it's plastic , it will smoke and penetrate the surface. If it's ivory or buckhorn, it won't budge. Buckhorn has a grayish look, sometimes with cloudy swirls and specs. Ivory has minute grain similar to oak grain. If you hold it in the light at an angle and move it around a little, you can usually see the grain.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
06-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I do not own any ivory, but have heard that you can most times if not always locate a vein in real ivory. Otherwise I just personally find real ivory seemingly easy to recognize cuz it's so special, for lack of a better word. sid

KellyStick
06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Mine shows a definite grain thorughout. Also, my main reason for liking it is it does not hold onto chalk. Of course I try to keep chalk away from it. Basically it stays clean and smooth and chalk just wipes off.

BLACKHEART
06-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Touch the hot needle to the ferrule. Ivory smells like burnt hair. Plastic smells like burning plastic. What kind of Q is it? Some Qmakers refuse to use Ivory. Cheap Qs never have Ivory in them...JER

Deeman3
06-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Mike,

If elephants continuously snear at you, it's probably real Ivory.

Just couldn't help myself.

Chopstick
06-20-2007, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Touch the hot needle to the ferrule. Ivory smells like burnt hair. Plastic smells like burning plastic. What kind of Q is it? Some Qmakers refuse to use Ivory. Cheap Qs never have Ivory in them...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I heard that ivory is hair or evolved from hair.

One way to tell is leave your shaft in the car over night when it is about 28 degrees. Then take it inside and break with it. When your ferrule explodes, you can look at the pieces with a magnifying glass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though, if you get a 10x jewelers glass you should be able to see the grain in the ferrule. Ivory has a grain in it like wood.

SpiderMan
06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
They can sneer, they can even laugh, as long as they don't point.

SpiderMan

Dagwood
06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> They can sneer, they can even laugh, as long as they don't point.

<hr /></blockquote>

Just for you....

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2918/pointingelephantde6.th.jpg (http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pointingelephantde6.jpg)