PDA

View Full Version : Break vs. Jump Cue

Santeh
06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Hello all,

I have been looking into break cues, yet I must admit I am a little confused. I was wondering if someone could help me understand the difference between a break and a jump cue and why some cues are only break and some are combination break/jump.

I did a search on this but did not see anything. If I missed the information I do apologize.

Thanks all!

dr_dave
06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
There is some info under "cue stick" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html). A critical component common to both is a phenolic (hard plastic) tip. The jump cue is just shorter and lighter, making it easy to create a break/jump cue combo (just remove a piece).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Santeh:</font><hr> Hello all,

I have been looking into break cues, yet I must admit I am a little confused. I was wondering if someone could help me understand the difference between a break and a jump cue and why some cues are only break and some are combination break/jump.

I did a search on this but did not see anything. If I missed the information I do apologize.

Thanks all! <hr /></blockquote>

Santeh
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello Sir,

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it!

I do have a follow-up question, if I may. Would you recommend a single cue for breaking and one for jumping (although I am nowhere near ready to learn how to jump), or would it be better to buy one cue that is a combination break/jump? For example, it is my understanding that the Hammerhead jump/break cue is a good combination choice.

Thank you.

P.S.- I have been reading your book and quite enjoy it!

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2007, 02:41 PM
First, a combo of break and jump is good if you buy the right one(s.) Most BJ cues suck at the jump feature, Bungee makes a good BJ, as does a lot of the customs running $200 and up. Ask here what BJ cues realy work on the jumping feature or just buy a breaker and wait on the jump cue.

If you want a good, well priced BJ cue, buy the Lucasi BJ cue. If you don't mind paying extra, get one of Jerry Powers' BJ, jumps very well and breaks even better, might bite you for 250-300 though. The break cue, IMO is more hype than good, so I'd not get too concerned about that purchase if you indeed didn't have a need for the jumper.

If it were me, I'd buy a solid 1-piece break stick for well under $200. and get Lucasi's jumper for about 50-60 on-line. That jumper is super for the price, you won't be disappointed. In fact, Lucasi would be good for both the jumper and the breaker, I never tried their BJ cue, but I'd wager it's a great combo as well, and it would save you some cash from buying both seperately...sid

ryushen21
06-17-2007, 11:12 PM
I stick to the idea of having separate cues for jump and break. Lucasi and bunjee are both great jumpers for the money. I personally use a Mezz Airshooter and Mezz PBII. I have no regrets about either of mine.

Snapshot9
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
The question regarding Break/Jump cues is how well they perform both functions. Some players believe you get higher quality for each function by having separate cues. The quality of the Break/Jump cues offered has gotten better.

I have a friend that bought the $170 Bunjee Break/Jump cue, and he doesn't break or jump as good with it as the J&amp;J he used to have. Plus the wrap on it came undone.

Watching your money, I think the J&amp;J Break/Jump cue is the best. It can be had for $60 from Chrisonline on AZbillards.com forum.

Jump cue, by itself, the X-Jumper from Xtreme Billisrds is the best jump cue I have ever tried (been playing 45 years).
It sells for $150, and even though I have a jump portion on the J&amp;J, I will buy a X-Jumper (with the new X2 tip) because it is, IMO, that much better, and because I am a gambler.

I probably will not go the $400 though for the X-Breaker (Break/Jump cue) from Xtreme Billiards. The X-Breaker and X-Jumper have different tips on them.

Jager85
06-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I personally have used both combos and seperate. I do not have a very good break, so an opinion on the difference would be of no help. Although 1 difference I saw in my break was when I went from a leather tip to a phenolic my break got much better.

I used to own a Lucassi jump cue and it worked great. The only problem I had was jumping the ball too far. All of my cues were stolen and I rebought them, this time a JB, so I did not have to pay $80+ for a 3 cue case. Anyway I have a Cuetec JB and since I put the phenolic tip on, the jumper works just as good as the Lucassi jump cue.

The one difference I reaaly did notice is my JB is realy back heavy, when fully assembled. I figure this is to make the jump cue as light as it should be.

Curtis

Santeh
06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Hello all,

I am sorry for taking a little time to get back to you all. There has just been a lot going on.

However I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts. I must admit, though, that I have not made a decision yet. And, quite, as with most issues there are rather varied opinions as some feel a break cue (or jump/break cue) is not necessary and that, if I am to get one the go more for a jump cue. As such I have a lot to think about...

Thanks again! I appreciate everyone's help!

dr_dave
06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Santeh:</font><hr> Hello Sir,

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it!

I do have a follow-up question, if I may. Would you recommend a single cue for breaking and one for jumping (although I am nowhere near ready to learn how to jump), or would it be better to buy one cue that is a combination break/jump? For example, it is my understanding that the Hammerhead jump/break cue is a good combination choice.

Thank you.<hr /></blockquote>I personally prefer a single break/jump cue. I use a Stinger. I like the convenience of a single cue ... less to carry around. I had a cheap jump cue, and I can get much better action with the Stinger jump portion. I also like the power I get with the full Stinger breaker.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Santeh:</font><hr>P.S.- I have been reading your book and quite enjoy it! <hr /></blockquote>Thank you.

Regards,
Dave