PDA

View Full Version : Moving table

UTAddb
06-18-2007, 02:58 AM
I need to move my table a good 35 miles to my new house. I have an enclosed trailer. Is it risky to break it down myself, move it, and have professionals set it up or should I rely on on professionals for the whole deal?

Rich R.
06-18-2007, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I need to move my table a good 35 miles to my new house. I have an enclosed trailer. Is it risky to break it down myself, move it, and have professionals set it up or should I rely on on professionals for the whole deal? <hr /></blockquote>You could probably do the move, with a lot of good help, but the question is, do you want to?

It is not hard to take things apart, as long as you keep track of all of the pieces.
The hard part is moving the frame and the slates. The slates are heavy and very awkward.

My old aching back would tell me to let the professionals do the job.

ryushen21
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Glad to see that you are still alive and kickin. If i were you, I would just pay to have it moved. That way if they screw anything up you can hold them liable for any damages to the table.

SpiderMan
06-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Since you're in the Dallas area, I'd let Moses and Ray do it. Just beware that they are pretty busy, so sometimes it may be hard to schedule them and you may wait around an afternoon on them. Sid V can give you more info and contact number.

SpiderMan

KellyStick
06-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I personally have set mine up now three times. And helped others now twice. I like a VERY flat table and when I set it up I take a LOT of extra time to get it very flat starting with the frame and moving to the slate after the frame is flat. I feel I do a better job in the end than the guy I have paid to set up and move once. Not that he did bad I just feel mine was more meticulous and flatter. The last table I did, not mine, we got the slate to roll true with no cloth on it. Now that was cool. After a year and more it is still perfect. You can make the move but there are a couple things to consider.

1. If you want it to play very true you will likely need to spend some time and trial and error to get it that way. You will want one helper. In the end you will have to live with what you set up. If you are not confident then let someone else do it.

2. Don't break the slate. This is not so hard. If you are reasonably fit you should be able to manage this with no problem. You'll want to package them for travel. Nothing super serious but take care not to chip or break them. If you don't feel you can do that then pay someone.

3. If you just don't want to spend the time.. pay someone.

4. Applying the cloth probably needs to be sequenced properly and the procedure I saw was not intuitive. Don't know where I saw that... I never did that properly yet I suppose and I would rate my cloth set up as just OK. Look on line for a procedure.