PDA

View Full Version : Teflon coated felt.......

suprcontraTX
06-18-2007, 06:36 AM
We are currently purchasing a home. Much to my surprise, my girlfriend asked if we should turn one our living areas into a billiard area. Hell Yeah was my juvenile response. Yesterday we put money down on a Olhausen(sp) one of the introduction models for 2k and 400 more for accessories and delivery and set-up. With the 400 price mark up, Brunswick Centennial Cloth is one of the options. A Teflon coated higher thread count felt. I was reading in a popular billiard book "99 shots to know and love" or something like this, that stated plain felt was the surface of choice due to the fact that normal wear will provide the stopping power in challenging shots that need English and such.

Is this type of felt tantamount to playing on glass or will it be a superb fast playing surface worth the 200 install. I was hoping to hear some feedback on a field I know nothing about.

Thanks for any assistance

SuprcontraTX

DeadCrab
06-18-2007, 07:29 AM
As a beginner, I can offer this: I started on playing on Simonis 860 on 9' table, and I could pretty much execute long draw shots without much problem. About a month ago, I started playing on a 7' home table with Championship cloth. There is a big difference in two areas:
1) Speed of break shot, and
2) The distance over which cue ball spin can be sustained.

I am a soft shooter, and I think I would probably do better with cue ball control on a faster cloth. If you are a hard shooter on a small table, the slower cloth might work better.

I assume you are getting either an 8' or 9' table, in which case I would probably lean towards a faster cloth.

suprcontraTX
06-18-2007, 07:44 AM
It is an 8 foot table. Is there a difference between Championship Cloth and the Brunswick Centennial cloth? It was expressed to me that the teflon coated cloth would provide too much "glide" during shooting. Is $200 extra worth the cost?

DeadCrab
06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
For an 8' table, Championship Titan cloth is about $85, and Simonis 860, about $195 (not including installation). So, for an extra $100, you can go from a mid-range slower cloth, to the industry standard.

I do not know if the Centennial cloth is worth an extra $200. You might want to ask what they would charge for Simonis 860. Or, if they have a showroom table with the Centennial cloth on it, hit a few balls on it and see if it is for you.

Deeman3
06-18-2007, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote suprcontraTX:</font><hr> We are currently purchasing a home. Much to my surprise, my girlfriend asked if we should turn one our living areas into a billiard area. Hell Yeah was my juvenile response. Yesterday we put money down on a Olhausen(sp) one of the introduction models for 2k and 400 more for accessories and delivery and set-up. With the 400 price mark up, Brunswick Centennial Cloth is one of the options. A Teflon coated higher thread count felt. I was reading in a popular billiard book "99 shots to know and love" or something like this, that stated plain felt was the surface of choice due to the fact that normal wear will provide the stopping power in challenging shots that need English and such.

Is this type of felt tantamount to playing on glass or will it be a superb fast playing surface worth the 200 install. I was hoping to hear some feedback on a field I know nothing about.

Thanks for any assistance

SuprcontraTX <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I'd get Simonis put on it but from what you sound like you're just happy and lucky to have a woman that is o.k. or even better with your having a table in her living space. Don't sweat the rest of it, you have the important part knocked!

You will get used to and adjust to whatever is on the table and will replace it eventually with what you need. There is no way any of us can really give you good advice without knowing your playing level and other preferences. As I said, don't worry, get the table, then go for the big screen with the home theater when she's not looking.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You'll like the table you are getting...</font color>

wolfdancer
06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Teflon coated cloth...sounds like the greens at Oakmont. Hopefully his table will have less undulations on the playing surface.
Good idea about going with Simonis instead...I have Granito on mine, and after 3 years of play, it's holding up well...
But....after 20 some years of play....there's very few of them "99 shots...."that I have come to love..
I just bought the "101 shots..." book...haven't read it yet, it's out on loan.

KellyStick
06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
When I bought my Olhausen about 7 years ago it was an extra $200 to have Simonis put on. Now that I am more familiar with cloth costs I would now have contested that. You can buy the cloth for less than that if you shop around. So you go from having felt or whatever included in the price plus it's instalation to having to pay the entire price for a different cloth and get no credit for the cloth that comes with the table.

I don't know how this other cloth plays but I contest the price penalty as I see it. In then end it won't make you go broke though either.

DeadCrab
06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
You can check this link to see a discussion of different cloth types:

http://www.poolfelt.com/pool_table_felt_buyers_guide.html

suprcontraTX
06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
It was because of this article that I was wondering where the Brunswick Centennial Cloth fit into this analysis. I have yet to hear that one cloth is better then another. I do not need the stain resistance since I am going to not let anyone with liquid near my table. But I am intrigued in regard to the nature of teflon durability in relation to skidding.
I am very much a newbie. I have NO experience in pool. I play about 4 times a year, but have always wanted a pool table. I can see this as a past time I would like to get better at and play against others. That is why I am so dependent on others input.

Thanks for all the input!

Contra

bsmutz
06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
You can't possibly go wrong with Simonis 860 cloth. That is what I would get (actually did get after I figured that part out). Teflon coating is unnecessary.

Scott Lee
06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote suprcontraTX:</font><hr>
I am very much a newbie. I have NO experience in pool. I play about 4 times a year, but have always wanted a pool table.

Contra <hr /></blockquote>

There is no need to spend ANY extra money here. Just take whatever cloth comes with the table (forget the Teflon bs).
You'll be happier saving a few bucks, and it won't make any difference with the table, as to how it plays. I agree with others that Simonis is nice, but in this case it's unnecessary. Enjoy the table!

Scott Lee