PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds and Finches

Gayle in MD
06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
What great additions to your garden! I have feeders for both Hummingbirds, and Finches, and loads of baby rabbits. In the mornings, I have my coffee on my front porch, and what a show they put on! I really never knew there were so many different kinds of finches in my area, and their colors are just beautiful. I like the bright yelolow ones the best, but there are other types, with red markings, also, which are just as pretty. If you have any interest in birds, I recommend the hanging sock type finch feeders. They are refillable, and the finches like to hang as they feed. Sometimes there are as many as eight, hanging on one feeder.

The Hummingbird feeders, that are red, with a round base, and daisey shaped flowers, embossed into the plastic, where they insert their long beaks in a small hole in the center of each flower, with a clear refillable tube, attract the Humingbirds well, and are easy to re-fill. You must replace the water and sugar mixture, every three or four days, four parts water, to one part sugar. It's loads of fun watching them.

Gayle in Md.

Vapros
06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone who likes birds can't be all bad. I live in the woods and most of my regulars are cardinals, Carolina wrens, black-capped chickadees, juncos and titmice. I had lots of goldfinches during the winter, but they all flew away one day in the early spring. Not many rabbits in evidence here, but lots of chipmunks and squirrels and a 'coon with a sore leg.

More birds and fewer politicians. Be well.

Deeman3
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't care much for hummingbirds, they are too small to even make a decent sandwich unless you really kill a mess of 'em. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
same thing with them baby rabbits...after you skin 'em thar ain't enough meat to make a good stew.
They are all good target practice...something to do while you're drinking your morning coffee....

Drop1
06-19-2007, 02:38 PM
They don't go as far,as a golf ball.

Gayle in MD
06-19-2007, 03:51 PM
I have loads of chickadees, and cardinals, too. I have some new red birds, this year, but haven't looked them up yet.

I had chipmonks, at my last home, and they were used to me. I fed them sunflower seeds, and they knew the sound of my shaking a paper bag, every day when I brought the seeds out. They'd all come scrambling, and they became quite comfortable being near me. They're so cute...

Living so close to the Bay, we have so many kinds of birds, and ducks, and there are Bald Eagles, that land on a high branch, nearby. My home is nestled in the woods, also, so there's no squirrel shortage, and many huge trees. In the mornings, on the porch, it sounds like a rainforest, so many chirping birds. In the winter, I see lots of deer in my yard, fox, possum, Osprey, you name it, it's here. I actually live in a wildlife preserve, included within the county open spaces regulations. It's good to know that no one can build near my home, and the woods will remain as they are, but the greatest benefit, is the wildlife.

I also have a Robin, who has returned here for years. I can tell him from the others. He will sit on the bird bath, and look right at me, and chirp and chirp, until I get up and put fresh cold water in it, and he will jump right in while I'm filling it. He follows me around the yard everyday, as I garden, looking right at me, and chirping away, it's pretty funny.

I've always loved the woods...and consider myself lucky to derive so much pleasure from nature, and gardening. It seems, many people, take the beauty of nature, for granted.

And you be well, also /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
06-19-2007, 03:56 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
06-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Our bush block backs onto miles of crown bushland. Not many birds here tho. We have the uzual rezident Magpies, Kookaburras, Crimson Rosellas, Currawongs (love small tomatoes), Choughs, Wood Duck and ducklings (on the dam), Corellas (small white cockatoos), Black Cockatoos (in winter), Robins (red breast), a few types of very small finch, a few types of shy (but loud) birds that i havnt identyfyd, Hawk Owls attack the moths near the verandah light. No hummingbirds in Ozz, but we get lots of honey eaters. The WedgeTail Eagles are often circling overhead, and a Small Eagle (rarely). madSherie iz allways bringing injured birds home (youngsters mainly, grass parrots, crimsons) where we cage them for a few weeks and then take em back and release em.

The wedgetails will allwayz be seen overhead when something is happening at the new house, ie when concrete is being poured, or when the big crane-truck is there. One day we were installing steelwork, my brother said here comes a Spitfire -- it woz flying very very low straight towards us -- i said that it woz a P52 Mustang (a wild guess), sure enuff it woz a mustang -- az it passed directly low overhead dang if it didnt seem to collide with a wedgy, allso very low, the wedgy didnt even blink.

I think that our mountain home had more birds really, and more types. And Brushtail Possums and Ringtail Possums.

Funny thing, i used to see Grey Squirrel in the woodland in ballarat in the 50's -- i thort they were native. They have now died out -- and now there are no more wild squirrels in Ozz -- pity. madMac.

Drop1
06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
My wife has a rule,if it moves,feed it. We have the Ark around our place,even a coati. I like country visiting,for now, later I plan to move back to the States [maybe] if we do,it will be to a city. I will take the chahuha,but the nineteen cats stay here.

Vapros
06-20-2007, 12:00 AM
That chahuha, is that the witty one?

Chopstick
06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Don't care much for hummingbirds, they are too small to even make a decent sandwich unless you really kill a mess of 'em. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Put on a red baseball cap and walk outside. You will have a halo of hummingbirds around your head.

Gayle in MD
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Wow, quite an impressive list you have there. Must be just delightful, seeing so many unusual birds.

Once, while visiting the west coast of Florida, near Reddington Beach, there is a neighborhood where a man had brought, years ago, these small green parrots, and let them all loose. They are now permanent residents of that little town, and seen flying all over the place.

Gayle in Md.

Drop1
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
You were expecting chihuahua?

Vapros
06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Not really.

cushioncrawler
06-20-2007, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Wow, quite an impressive list you have there. Must be just delightful, seeing so many unusual birds. Once, while visiting the west coast of Florida, near Reddington Beach, there is a neighborhood where a man had brought, years ago, these small green parrots, and let them all loose. They are now permanent residents of that little town, and seen flying all over the place. Gayle in Md.<hr /></blockquote>Gayle -- Our mountain home just seemed to have many more birds than our bush home. And, many were nesting on that little house block -- we had nesting Galahs, Eastern Rosellas, Rainbow Lorrikeets, Musk Lorrikeets, Kookaburras, Noisy Mynahs, Indian Mynahs, Sitellas. We had vizits from 3 different size owls, inklooding the Powerfull Owl, and Tawny Frogmouths. Bronze Wing pigeons and Doves lived there too. The noize on a sunny morning woz unbeleevable. madMac.

Vapros
06-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, well I've got a pet turkey buzzard that eats roadkill out of my hand. Top that.

cushioncrawler
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> Yeah, well I've got a pet turkey buzzard that eats roadkill out of my hand. Top that.<hr /></blockquote>We had 2 Echidnas (spiny anteaters) that on a hot day would slump into the birdbaths next to our back door. We called one "Spike" and the other "Prick". I wont forget the big BullAnts, they bit me at least once a year, serves me right for watering the garden in bare feet. madMac.

DickLeonard
06-21-2007, 07:40 AM
MadMac what about the Drought in Ozz?####

DickLeonard
06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Gayle that is why I like reading the Sunday Boston Globe it lists all the birds spotted on Cape Cod. It seems they have a very active group of Bird Watchers. We could be considered bird watchers of sorts. LOL ####

Gayle in MD
06-21-2007, 10:02 AM
LOL, true, but sometimes those looney birds are so destructive, one just has to close their eyes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cushioncrawler
06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> MadMac what about the Drought in Ozz?####<hr /></blockquote>Dick -- There has been heavy rain all over the continent -- here in Victoria it rains allmost every day but not enuff for any decent runoff for the major dams and most farm dams. Record cold all over the continent, and good snow for the skiers. Ballarat is getting a pipeline to bring water from the Murray River, and melbourne is getting a giant desalination plant (like the arabs have) for about $3 Billion. In ballarat u arent allowed to water grass or shrubs or wash yor car, carwashers are closed. We are in the bush and have plastic tanks to collect roof runoff, but getting throo summer might be a worry, we have a big shed (big roof) and will have a big house (big roof) so might be ok. We have 3 horses, so i hope the 2 dams fill enuff to get throo summer -- allmost zero runoff to date -- but July and August and Sept are the wettest months so shood be ok. We bort enuff hay to get throo winter, hay costs $20 per bale, i could have got az much az i liked for $5 last year (fool).

I love the mizerable drizzly cold winters in ballarat, reminds me of the old days, and it is great for billiards, pity the house'n'table arent ready yet.

The Wood Ducks are loving it, they had a big clutch of ducklings last year, they nest high in a tree and the ducklings havta jump n bounce into the big world when only days old. But i am afraid that our 2 dogs will give them a hard time, bit of a worry -- they have acres of bracken and grass-trees to hide in, so u never know.

There are too many people in Ozz, over 20 million. Likewize all over the world. Hope the Chinese take over -- the world's only chance. Do any of the USA candidates talk about population control?? madMac.

Deeman3
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
We bort enuff hay to get throo winter, hay costs $20 per bale, i could have got az much az i liked for $5 last year (fool). <font color="blue"> We are paying about $10 for alfalfa but are running low and I don't see any at our normal suppy place. Ours may have to get by on Coastal Bermuda for a while.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

moblsv
07-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I love watching the birds around my house. I put up a new bird feeder last night.

This morning I had the pleasure of watching a family of doves building a nest right outside my kitchen window, while I was eating breakfast. One is sitting in the nest fiddling with the grass while another is making trips back and forth to get the long, dry strands. A third, which appears to be a young dove, is just kind of hanging out watching the other two work.

I hope to see eggs in it soon and eventually some young'ens. The kitchen window is actually above the level of the nest so I can look right into it.

ras314
07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> Yeah, well I've got a pet turkey buzzard that eats roadkill out of my hand. Top that. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, my tame ravens have just about quit stopping in. I've finally run out of rabbits for them. I'll admit I never quite got one to take a rabbit out of my hand though.

Buzzard doesn't have much chance as these ravens beat them to the road kill while it's still warm, least in the day time, and the coyotes and wolves clean up at night.

SnakebyteXX
07-05-2007, 07:55 AM
We have eight hummingbird feeders and a population of over two hundred year round resident Anna's and migratory Allen's hummies that swarm them regularly. We go through over 25lb of sugar a week just trying to keep up.
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8526/44215868ug5.jpg http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3290/keeper2hl0.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1500/dsc01982ayb2.jpg

Gayle in MD
07-05-2007, 08:21 AM
WOW, and hi there friend. That last picture is fabulous! I recall some others that you either posted or e-mailed to me. That last one, I'd blow up to 16 X 20, and frame.

We have quite a variety. One has an orange head, neck and throat, running into gray. Do you have any that look all black, with a slight green head and neck, and a bit smaller and more streamlined than the others?

Love the pics!!!

Thanks...and good hearing from you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SnakebyteXX
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Glad you liked them Gayle. Here's a male and female Anna's. Anna's are non-migratory and tend to live in warmer places like the West Coast. In your part of the country the Rufus is more common. Rufus hummies migrate to Mexico and Central America when the weather turns cold. They are known to fly over five hundred miles non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico to reach their winter homes - and 500 miles back when winter is over. Hummingbirds are a whole lot more hardy than people think.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/223/keeper13hk5.jpg http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5151/keeper7nx0.jpg

If you want to learn more about hummingbirds and see a ton of knock your socks off gorgeous pictures - this is one of the best sites on the Net:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/

We also feed Orioles, finches, sparrows, tits, and Grossbeaks. Our birdhouses regularly have nesting Bluebirds, Swallows, Redheaded Woodpeckers and the occasional Kestral.

My wife and I will start every morning sitting in front of our bird feeders drinking a cup of coffee and watching the birds do their thing. We love it.

Good to see you too.

Rich

Gayle in MD
07-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Wow, I love these pictures!

Jim and I also have our morning coffee on the porch, and watch the finches, and the Hummingbirds. So far, we have looked up five different Species of Hummingbirds, some which are not supposed to be around here, and atleast five different kinds of Finch. We have a lot of the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds.

My gardens are full of day lilies, a wide variety, and Fox Glove, Rose of Sharon, old fashioned Hollyhocks, and the Hummingbirds love going deep into a blossom to feed. Sometimes there are four and five at a time, on one feeder, and as time goes by, we seem to notice new types appearing. Some that we have seen, are not in our Audubon Handbook. Maybe I will find them on your link. I also have a beautiful Blue Bird, with a light orange throat and chest. Loads of Scarlet Tanangers. Sometimes there are so many colors in our trees, they look like Christmas trees.

Thank you for the link. I just love your pics!

Take care now friend,
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifLove,
Gayle

moblsv
07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Great pics, thanks