PDA

View Full Version : when will we get some mop control in this country?

sack316
06-20-2007, 03:06 PM
link to article (http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,665194854,00.html)

PROVO An All-American track star for BYU who is accused of assaulting a pedestrian in a Provo crosswalk was arrested Thursday afternoon.
Kyle Perry (11) Provo Police Capt. Cliff Argyle said distance runner Kyle Perry, 23, was traveling east on Center Street when he reportedly struck a pedestrian in a crosswalk with his car.
Argyle said after hitting the pedestrian, who was pushing a mop bucket, Perry is accused of getting out of his vehicle, grabbing a mop from the bucket and striking the pedestrian with the mop. The pedestrian reportedly grabbed another mop to defend himself, Argyle said.
Perry is accused of then shoving the pedestrian over a planter box and getting back into his car and attempting to leave the scene. But the pedestrian reportedly stood in front of the vehicle and didn't allow Perry to leave until police arrived.
BYU cross-country coach Ed Eyestone said he'll let the legal issues work themselves out but is confident in his athlete.
"From my understanding, he's not at fault," Eyestone said. "I think he may have acted hastily, but we'll just see how that plays out. I have confidence in my athletes, and having spoken with him, (I believe) it'll be resolved quickly and that he will not be found at fault."
The season is over and Perry is not taking summer classes, so his "status" is not being addressed at this point, Eyestone said.
A native of Sandy, Perry was a stand-out cross-country and track-and-field athlete at Alta High. He won four individual state championships his senior year as well as All-American honors for his performances in cross-country.
Perry enrolled at BYU in 2002, where he attended for a semester before serving an LDS mission to New Jersey. Upon his return, Perry rejoined the Cougar cross-country team.
The 2006 track-and-field season was a breakout one for Perry when he won the Mountain West Conference title in the 1,500-meter run as a freshman. He was later named an All-American after a 12th-place finish in the same event at the NCAA Championships.
Perry continued his success during the 2006 cross-country season, earning All-Conference honors and consistently finishing among the Cougars' top runners. In the recently completed 2007 track season, Perry was hindered by injuries and did not compete at the conference championships.

So are mops the major problem now? Or do we go with the old saying that "Mops don't go upside people's heads... people take mops upside people's heads"?

Sack