PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Poll - Chalk Poll

KellyStick
06-21-2007, 12:02 PM
This is a simple poll please reply with a simple Up or Down. Or if you wanna eleborate knock your self out.

Question: If you are playing where you are not using your own chalk and the chalk is on the table. When you are done with the chalk do you place it Chalk side up? Or chalk side down? The chalk side being the side you actually touch to your tip?

I'll start. UP

BigRigTom
06-21-2007, 12:14 PM
up

canadan
06-21-2007, 12:16 PM
do you mean after I throw it accross the room? I think it land up most of the time.

check out my new holder now lets see someone walk away with it

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/dryaces/chalkbones.gif

Vapros
06-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Up - only and always. Keeps most of the chalk dust off the rail and lets you know how to pick it up.

Deeman3
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
If you pick "down", you should select another sport.

Jager85
06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Always Up

DeadCrab
06-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't allow chalk on my natural wood rails. I glue a cube to the end of a tongue depressor and stick it in my front pants pocket (with the chalk cube out of the pocket) between shots.

Deeman3
06-22-2007, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
I don't allow chalk on my natural wood rails. I glue a cube to the end of a tongue depressor and stick it in my front pants pocket (with the chalk cube out of the pocket) between shots. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Felix?, Felix Unger? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I guesss I'd agree although I'm not as particular with my unnatural wood rails but I'm a stickler for not allowing chalk on my natural wood shafted cue and my natural leather tips. Ask my natural blond wife. Hey, sorry but it's a boring Friday anyway....</font color>

wolfdancer
06-22-2007, 12:15 PM
As we used to say in the sod business.....green side up, always!!!

jjinfla
06-22-2007, 01:05 PM
It just depends which side aggravates my opponent more. Sometimes it goes in my pocket. That seems to work best.

Chalk doesn't hurt the table. It adds patina. Besides, I don't know when they last cleaned the table.

Jake

DeadCrab
06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Natural...as in naked.

Unfinished wood sucks up chalk, and it can only be removed by sanding it out, which I am too lazy to do (more of an Oscar Madison).

Deeman3
06-22-2007, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
Natural...as in naked. <font color="blue"> Wathc it your getting Sid excited!</font color>

Unfinished wood sucks up chalk, and it can only be removed by sanding it out, which I am too lazy to do (more of an Oscar Madison). <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Just Kidding with you. Heck, I still have chalk on my hands from 1976 and you think you're lazy?</font color>

mantis
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
UP only. I DO NOT like when people come to my house and put the chalk upside down on my table. That really makes no sense to me to do that, especially on someones home table. I wouldn't come over and wipe dirt on your rug! Why put chalk all over my rails for no reason. I am not sure where this practice originated, but it is a bad one.

jjinfla
06-22-2007, 09:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> UP only. I am not sure where this practice originated, but it is a bad one. <hr /></blockquote>

It is just a natural, unconscious, movement. When you chalk you are holding the chalk with the chalk down facing the cue tip so it is a natural movement to place it that way on the table.

Most likely the player is thinking about his next shots and does not even realize he is chalking his cue, or placing it on the table. Especially when in the zone.

But I am glad to hear that you do not rub dirt on the rugs when you visit your friends. You must take off your shoes.

Jake

MrLucky
06-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Don't see what the problem is ... UP!!!!!

KellyStick
06-23-2007, 07:35 AM
This question was just more of a curiosity and attempt at a light hearted topic. I have had people tell me that they thought the "proper" way was to put it down. They can never explain why. So I was curious what the pool playing world might have to say.

I do like the reply that said whatever aggravates my opponent most "in his pocket". I won't be doing that but... liked the psychological warfare thought behind it.

IT does appear that the ups have it. NOw when I explain this I can talk with great authority backed up by unanimous consensus of the pool playing universe that the answer is definitely UP!

Koenig
06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
You can! And should! Hate those messy tables.

okinawa77
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Chalk should be up.
I used to use house chalk, but I have found that over time the chalk will get into the wood of the shaft of my cue. It looks horrible when you have a nasty blue or red stain on your shaft. I use a brown color (Master Chalk). I prefer the dark brown because it matches the color of my tip, but light brown is good too. Some people I know will wipe down there cue after they are finished playing, but using a wet towel isn't a good idea....unless you like a warped shaft. When I play an opponent that uses their own chalk, as I do, I take all the chalk off the table.
I can see how placing the chalk downward would be a shark tactic. I have also heard of people spitting in the chalk as a shark tactic. I think that is why a lot of oldies will put the chalk down, they don't want the big fish crying tear drops into the chalk.
Another topic or poll you might be interested in, is talc (hand powder). Every pool hall has it, but, in my opinion, it should not be used.

Sid_Vicious
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Up. Those who for any reason put it down needs a labotomy. Tell me, have you seen any PH personnel setting up a room for play time place it any other way but up? There is simply no excuse for being in the down crowd except for them being anal jerks. Habits can and should be changed, so just habitual types needs to follow these types of discussions. sid

teliman
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Up - or at least I try to. But I admit I've caught myself putting it upside down by accident when I'm concentrating on a shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MikeM
07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I was going to say down but I'm afraid of Sid!

Put me in the UP camp.

MM

Deeman3
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Sid and I don't speak anymore but I don't think he'll come after you with a gun. That's me! Anyway, I now see a new trend in the upscale bars of Southern Alabama that I find fascinating, the player puts the chalk on the floor, firmly held between his Walmart work boots and spins the tip of the cue into the chalk! Well, at least it's facing up! I had assumed the guy was drilling for oil but as I was no longer in Texas, this could not be. I should not speak badly of this guy as he has provided me some income over the last few weeks. It should be mentioned that he works for a few weeks out in Gulf of Mexico on an oil rig, then comes back and spends his money on pool. He has no family to support, except me now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Maybe it's a trend and I'm just behind the times, as usual.

1Time
07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Up. Those who for any reason put it down needs a labotomy. <hr /></blockquote>

I vote labotomy for any breech of etiquette. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Deeman that is a funny twist for a Miami Vice/Vegas CSI segment. We found this funny color on his right hand, we examined it and his hand is totally discolored. It looks like Pool Chalk Dust but they haven't made that Pool Chalk since 1950. I'll expect a little Royalty.####

Chopstick
07-20-2007, 02:06 PM
In the beginning, God created chalk, (you may replace this phrase with chalk evolved, if it makes you happy) and it was up. And God saw that this was good. One day Adam put the chalk down and BAMMM then there was woman and that was the end of peace and quiet in the pool hall. And everywhere else for that matter.

99 Ways to get your a$$ kicked in Alabama.
1) Chalk down.

Michael Jackson puts his chalk down.

If you put the chalk down the terrorists win.

Anyone who puts the chalk down should have to eat it.

bsmutz
07-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Definitely up. Had a guy out to my place a few months ago that would slam the chalk down every time on my snooker table that I spent many hours lovingly restoring the rails on. It was driving me crazy but I wanted to be a good host and I felt it was a habit that he had, not necessarily negligence on his part. I ended up following him around all night turning the chalk back up hoping he would get the hint. No such luck. I have another guy that comes out regularly that always ends up putting the two cubes that I keep on the table next to each other (I like one on each end), so I follow him around separating the chalk hoping that one day he will catch on. I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes to guests. I spent a few hours writing house rules and the proper way to rack with the intent of posting them in my room, but then have never put them up.

Deeman3
07-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Proper behaviour says you don't put chalk down on a snooker table at all, it's too far to walk around to pick it up. That's why the Brits wear vests. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

canadan
07-20-2007, 05:31 PM
Chalk should be up.
I used to use house chalk, but I have found that over time the chalk will get into the wood of the shaft of my cue. It looks horrible when you have a nasty blue or red stain on your shaft. I use a brown color (Master Chalk). I prefer the dark brown because it matches the color of my tip, but light brown is good too. Some people I know will wipe down there cue after they are finished playing, but using a wet towel isn't a good idea....unless you like a warped shaft. When I play an opponent that uses their own chalk, as I do, I take all the chalk off the table.
I can see how placing the chalk downward would be a shark tactic. I have also heard of people spitting in the chalk as a shark tactic. I think that is why a lot of oldies will put the chalk down, they don't want the big fish crying tear drops into the chalk.
Another topic or poll you might be interested in, is talc (hand powder). Every pool hall has it, but, in my opinion, it should not be used.

Boy I hate playing in a tourny or with someone that uses brown chalk on green or blue felt.. you get these fricken brown lines all over the table. you dont get chalk to match you cue you get chalk to match the table

my 2 cents

bsmutz
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow, and you even spelled behavior with a British accent. You are the man! It's only a 10 footer, so not quite as far as the Brits would have to go. (All my vests are made of leather and I don't want to get chalk all over them. Maybe a visit to Goodwill is in order.)

Bob_Jewett
07-21-2007, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> This is a simple poll please reply with a simple Up or Down. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Up. Only drunks and foreigners put it face down.

Scott Lee
07-21-2007, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> (All my vests are made of leather and I don't want to get chalk all over them. Maybe a visit to Goodwill is in order.) <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Bill...My wife could help do that for ya! She has the number for EVERY Goodwill and thrift store in a 100 mile radius! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ya gotta love a wife who loves to shop, but only at the thrift stores! Same goes for me. My sweetie expects me to return from teaching trips loaded with presents for her...so I make a point of stopping at one or two of these stores on my way back home. There's ALWAYS something that I know she'll like...and it usually only sets me back a few bucks! LOL

About the OP...chalk up ONLY!

Scott Lee

Dagwood
07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Chalk UP...and I'll never understand why people put chalk side duwn. I've run into a few of them, and it's just a tad bit annoying. I will say that when I'm in dead punch though, I'm not really paying attention to how I'm putting the chalk on the rails and it sometimes ends up on its side, but never chalk side down...NEVER.....ughhhhhh......&lt;shivers&gt;

Dags

KellyStick
07-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I posted this because I get annoyed at the down chalkers. They claim that they thought down was correct. I tell them otherwise. BUt someone brought up another annoyance. In fact this is much more than an annoyance. That annoyance is POWDER. and Especially those huge powder Blocks!

When I become ruler of the universe the first thing I will do is outlaw flat head screws. The second thing I will do is outlaw powder blocks in pool halls. Instead there will be a small man who stands to the side very quietly who seems to be observing things very closely. In his pocket will be a very small bottle of talcum powder. we'll make it airplane legal size, or sample size. If you wish to have powder you must ask the little man. The first thing the little man will do ask you why you want powder. You must give a satisfactory answer. Then you must ask for powder again. Then the little man will ask you where you want the powder. If you say on my bridge hand he will say, "No, precisely where would you like the powder?". You will be allowed approximately one square inch of lightly applied powder only to the actual contact points with your stick to your bridge hand. The little man will dispense the powder in the affected area very sparingly. The next thing the little man will do is observe your behaviour. If he sees you drinking your sweaty beverage with your bridge hand there will be no more powder for you.

The little man will also be in charge of enforcement. IF excess powder is smuggled into the pool hall. The little man will know. This is one reason why he is observing very intently. The man may be little but he is very strong and is very forceful. He will confiscate your powder and physically remove you from the pool hall. Your picture and name will be issued to all pool halls in the country through the "little man in the pool hall Network". These little men will all have photographic memories and powder abusers will not be able to enter a pool hall again without some sort of training and certification.

Chopstick
07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr>

When I become ruler of the universe the first thing I will do is outlaw flat head screws. <hr /></blockquote>

What's wrong with flat head screws? If it wasn't for them we would have screw heads stickin out everywhere.

okinawa77
07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I realize it is very humid in Louisiana. I lived there for a few years near Bossier City...Lake Bistineau to be precise. And humidity can really cause damage to a table that is covered in powder. In dry climate areas, it is not as big of a deal, but in humid areas, it can really effect the way the balls react.

KellyStick
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Ahh I have erred again. I do not mean flat head but rather slotted vs say philips headed for example. Those screws that utilize the standard flat screw driver I would outlaw.

Chopstick
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> Ahh I have erred again. I do not mean flat head but rather slotted vs say philips headed for example. Those screws that utilize the standard flat screw driver I would outlaw. <hr /></blockquote>

Agreed.

ras314
07-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Then there are a few misfits that first tap the chalk upside down on the rail and then carefully set the chalk up! One of the better local players hereabouts does this as part of his pre-shot routine I think.

Another chalking gripe: those that insist on having a LOT of loose chalk on the tip so it always leaves a big chalk "fingerprint" on the cloth where the cb was hit. On my table I immediately vacuum the dust off without saying a word and sure wish pool halls could do the same. Nearly as bad are those that wack their off the wall cue on the pocket edge to get the loose chalk off.

canadan
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KellyStick:</font><hr> Ahh I have erred again. I do not mean flat head but rather slotted vs say philips headed for example. Those screws that utilize the standard flat screw driver I would outlaw. <hr /></blockquote>

ahh you guys ar missing out on robinsons the square ones very nice to use alot less slippage the a philips

KellyStick
03-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I was not implying the philips heads were best, only that standard slotted head screws would be outlawed. Agreed, there are better ways that phillips.

SKennedy
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I was one of those formerly quilty of placing the chalk down on the rail. I learned otherwise from those posting on here. Since then I do not do it. However, in my area most players in public pool halls continue to do so. As bad as that is, it is nothing compared to those who use way too much powder and get it all over the cloth.

JoeW
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I think the little man should just hand you the vacuum cleaner or table brush and say, in a very loud alpha dog growl, clean it up and go wash your hands.

On the other hand, all messy people must keep chalk in their pocket -- let them live with that.

jht1953
08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I say up. Ewa Matya in her book says sideways!? Her expalanation is that if lean over for a shot where the chalk is it won't soil your clothes! I think I would just move down the rail

wolfdancer
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
over 1700 views and 42 replies to this "poll".
AND there is only one correct answer, one that makes any sense...
it's like laying sod....."green side up"

zombiemodder
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I've alway layed it chalk side up if you lay it chalk side down you get the chalk on te rail and eventually on the cloth.

SKennedy
08-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Wolfie, I agree. Chalk side up. Only good way to do it. Keeps chalk off rail and when you pick the cube up, you know exactly where the chalk face is located. You simply have to roll your hand slightly to move the chalk 180 degrees for use. When people lay it with the open face to the side in different directions, I always waste time finding the correct side.

Deeman3
08-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I have begun to start keeping my personal chalk in my pocket. You would not believe the condition of the chalk in most of the placed in this great State. As in the past, I vote useage side up but have given up on having it made a criminal offense to do otherwise.

bignick31985
08-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I keep a couple boxes of extra Silver Cup at my apartment, and throw 2 or 3 pieces in my case at a time. Some end up being left behind, while others are the victims of 'severe chalk syndrome'. You know...those people who think that the chalk will only work if you grind it on the tip so hard there is a small pile underneath where they are chalking? So when the chalk has a cue tip sized hole nearly through the entire piece of chalk its deemed useless and disposed of, lol. Course that only happens when other people get a hold of it.

I like keeping chalk on the table. As I've tried the chalkers you keep in the pocket and they just irritate me.

Oh, and I place it up...always up.

Most people dont worry about 'soiling' clothing at a pool hall I'd imagine. I mean it'll wash out.

JJFSTAR
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
I say that in every poolroom that this addendum should be posted right under the “No Gambling” sign.

1. If you chalk over the cloth you will be warned.
2. If you put the chalk side down you will be chastised.
3. If you leave hand chalk on the cloth you will be fined.
4. If you grab the chalk after your shot your opponent has the right to slap you silly.

JoeW
08-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Anyway you like, including side ways. The table cleans up easily. I carry mine with me and let the others do as they please there is a box of 12 pieces sitting on the counter. Use what you like, when you like, as you like.

Life is short -- eat desert first.

PRQL8R
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Ditto-up... also would be tempted to place it chalk side up on my opponents chair should they be taking undue advantage of me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

However, as I always use a chalk holder I created utilizing the barrel from an exacto-knife, I never have any need to touch the chalk on the table... except to move it out of my way.

The one particular thing that does irk me tho are players that insist on using various coloured chalks opposite to the colour of the cloth... so that the table ends up looking a bit like a Jackson Pollock painting. ...Bob