PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelts

pooltchr
06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
If any of you aren't in the habit of wearing them, I suggest you get in it. I had the unfortunate experience of being in a truck pulling a trailer loaded with golf carts out on I-85 today when the right front tire blew. We left the highway doing about 60 and went about 100 yards before a very large tree brought us to a very abrupt stop. Two golf cars flew past us through the air. I saw the air bag coming toward me (or me going toward it, that part is a little fuzzy). Both the driver and I were able to get out of the truck and walk away to wait for the EMTs. I have a really nice bruise across my chest, and my ribs hurt like hell...but I am at home. Were it not for the seatbelt, I probably would be in intensive care or worse.
Please, please, please, do not allow anyone in your car unless they are buckled up. The darn things can save your life!
I saw the truck when I went back to pick up my car at work. The force of my head moving forward pushed the airbag into the windshield with enough force to shatter the windshield.
I know I had an angel riding with me today. And I'm thankful God gave me the good sense to wear that seatbelt!
Love y'all...don't want to lose any of you.
Wear the damn seatbelt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

Drop1
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Speeding,bad tires,and no seat belt,you are lucky. Glad you were not hurt,see how you feel tomorrow.

cushioncrawler
06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah -- Driving is allways a big worry, the older i get the more scared i am of going out onto the road, and i woz a traffic engineer. I looked throo police reports and checked bad sites daily.

Wearing seat belts iz compulsory in all states in Ozz since about 1971. Iz it compulsory in the USA?? madMac.

pooltchr
06-23-2007, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Speeding,bad tires,and no seat belt,you are lucky. Glad you were not hurt,see how you feel tomorrow. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks...We weren't speeding...in fact we were doing about 60 in a 65 zone. The tire just blew out and jerked us off the road. I have been wearing a seatbelt religeously for over 30 years. I just posted as a reminder to everyone that if you don't wear one, you are playing with your life.
Steve

Drop1
06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Well,bottom line is I'm glad you didn't get hurt,but I bet you can feel it today.

pooltchr
06-23-2007, 04:52 PM
You got that right!!! It takes me about 2 minutes to get up out of the recliner! I woke up with a nice purple stripe across my chest from the seatbelt. For the first time since I started teaching pool, I had to postpone a lesson. I knew my student couldn't get his money's worth out of me this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

moblsv
06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Good to hear you're alright.

My Ford has one of those beepers that goes off when somebody isn't wearing their seatbelt. It seems all my friends complain when it goes off, but I love it, it saves me the trouble of nagging them.

Me? I always wear my seatbelt in the car/truck and very rarely ride the motorcycle without a helmet.

Thanks for the friendly reminder. You never know when a story like this might make the difference in somebody's decision to use their seatbelt.

wolfdancer
06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Steve, glad you survived...Hillary is counting on your vote /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I had a front tire blowout years ago...and there ain't much you can do to control your vehicle when that happens....I just ended up in a ditch..
I don't even go got bed anymore without my seatbelt on...

DickLeonard
06-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Pooltchr the speed limit for towing a vehicle/trailer is 45 miles per hour. 65 miles is for autos, not vehicles towing trailers a fact most overlooked by drivers. I am not an engineer but just think how heated your brakes become when you have to stop a vehicle towing anything with weight. Then good tires turn bad by the heat of the brakeshoes.####

Deeman3
06-25-2007, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Pooltchr the speed limit for towing a vehicle/trailer is 45 miles per hour. <font color="blue"> Dick, respectfully, this is the South, there aint no speed limits for anything hauling anything as we are all official NASCAR members. </font color>

Steve,
I am happy Hillary did not lose your vote although I thought I was the only right winger who had committed his/her vote to the dark side.

Glad you are o.k. <hr /></blockquote>

DickLeonard
06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Deeman gee I never thought about thatwell then their excused.####

pooltchr
06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Dick,
That doesn't apply to commercial vehicles. We operate under DOT rules. The driver is required to have a class A CDL. I manage a fleet of trucks and drivers that deliver golf cars all over the southeast...trucks from pick-ups to Freightliners and trailers that will pull 1 car or 30.

I have to give credit to the driver for getting us off the road, out of traffic, and avoiding hitting the end of the guard rail. He did as good a job dealing with it as anyone could have. The highway patrol and DOT investigated and found no fault with the driver. It was determined to be an unavoidable accident.
Steve

pooltchr
06-25-2007, 08:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Pooltchr the speed limit for towing a vehicle/trailer is 45 miles per hour. <font color="blue"> Dick, respectfully, this is the South, there aint no speed limits for anything hauling anything as we are all official NASCAR members. </font color>

I agree that those of us "experienced" NASCAR fans can handle it...It's all them damn rookies out there on the road that screw it up for the rest of us! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve,
I am happy Hillary did not lose your vote although I thought I was the only right winger who had committed his/her vote to the dark side.

I lost a few days of work....not my mind!!!!! I wouldn't vote for HC if she was the only one running! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Glad you are o.k.

Thanks
<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
06-26-2007, 06:49 AM
Steve,

When you get well, bring me a Yamaha gas cart down to Luverne Alabama. The check is in the mail! <font color="red"> Just checking to see if he had head injuries! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Gayle in MD
06-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Steve,
Glad you are OK. Hope you're iced up where you're bruised! Take care.

Gayle in Md., thinks that's too fast when hauling....

eg8r
06-26-2007, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dick,
That doesn't apply to commercial vehicles. We operate under DOT rules. <hr /></blockquote> I would not even bother with it. He does not care about the law and is only jabbing. Remeber, he is in cahoots with our local quack-job who is now telling us the impeachment was illegal. The nutjobs are running loose and it is hilarious to see what will come out of their mouths next.

eg8r

pooltchr
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm hoping to make a trip to Dallas in the next few months. I'll drop it off on my way. (That should allow plenty of time for your check to arrive.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Sorry...no head injuries that would affect my judgement THAT much! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You should check out some of our cars...we do a lot of custom cars. One of our customers ordered one with a kegger in the back!!!
www.carolinagolfcars.com (http://www.carolinagolfcars.com)

Steve
Steve