PDA

View Full Version : Humid Climate

herkemeyer
06-23-2007, 03:26 AM
Hello Everyone,
New to the board. Does any one have a recommendations on how to mitigate the effects of a humid climate on stroke? I am from a semi-arid climate and anytime I go somewhere that the humidity is higher than 30%, my stroke goes to hell. I have tried using hand chalk but that seems to make my hands sweat more, I guess because the pores get clogged. Any suggestions?

Rod
06-23-2007, 08:45 AM
You should consider slipstick (http://www.slipstic.com/). Reviews say this product works very well. I don't use it because my hands stay dry.

Rod

ceebee
06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I used to think using a glove was "not the thing to do".

One summer my local Pool Room kept the temperature at about 80 degrees, the humidity was higher. This was the proprietor's way of saving money.

I bought a Sir Joseph glove, out of desperation.

Now, I have 2 gloves (just in case one happens to soak up too much moisture in a long Match or Tournament.

sygfrid
06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
You may want to wash your hand with soap often or you can rub some alcohol, probably 70% solution so that it'll dry up faster,in your hands from time to time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Does the pool hall have air conditioning?

herkemeyer
06-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I have air conditioning, kind of. Without going into detail, I am in the middle east so tempuratures have been reaching above 120F. There are nice tables available. It is just that at night when it starts to cool down the humidity goes up and keeping my hands dry have become a large challenge. Thanks for the input. I hadn't eard of using rubbing alcohol before, it sounds interesting. Additionally, I may have to break down and try a glove. haven't decided yet.

ras314
06-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Back in the day it was common to stick a hand towel in your belt. Least in the more humid places where AC was uncommon. Use the towel to wipe down the cue and your hands after you wash them with soap. Hand chalk never seemed to work for me either when conditions were bad.

Gloves can work well in high humidity, particularly if the shaft is dirty and dinged up.

tjlmbklr
07-02-2007, 09:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Back in the day it was common to stick a hand towel in your belt. Least in the more humid places where AC was uncommon. Use the towel to wipe down the cue and your hands after you wash them with soap. Hand chalk never seemed to work for me either when conditions were bad.

Gloves can work well in high humidity, particularly if the shaft is dirty and dinged up. <hr /></blockquote>

I've got one up on that. Back in the day pool tables had hand dryers on them. An old 8 table hall where I live (torn down now) had 4 9 ft tables with fans that still worked, when plugged in that is.

Shaft
07-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Try a glove. (You don't have to be a pro to wear one...) There're great, even a cheap glove from Academy Sports. They last forever and you don't gat talc all over your clothes or, especially, your table. If you use a glove consistantly, humidity variations won't affect your stroke as much.

If you have a table at home buy several for guests. Tell them you don't have talc and they will use the glove. Every one who has tried one says, "Man, I'm gonna get one of these!"

My table is OUTDOORS in a large covered patio in NEW ORLEANS, La. It does not get more humid than this!

ras314
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> Back in the day pool tables had hand dryers on them. An old 8 table hall where I live (torn down now) had 4 9 ft tables with fans that still worked, when plugged in that is. <hr /></blockquote>
I remember ceiling fans over tables but never saw hand dryers on them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I still see chalk holders tied on the table corners once in a while though. Using them pretty much keeps chuncks of cue chalk off the cloth. Even the pros seem to chalk up over the table nowadays, and fuss when a ball rolls goofy. Baby powder still smells like odor de pool hall to me. I hate those powder cones and hand powder of any kind is not allowed near my table.

Roy